Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Daisy Chain Chargers at Home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I have an S and a Tesla charger at home but have now bought a Jaguar iPace as well.My question is, can I buy another Tesla charger and daisy chain it to the first one? The iPace charges fine off my current charger. I would not be using them at the same time, as I schedule my charging at night to benefit from a cheap tariff. Has anyone any experience of doing this?

You sure can, up to 4 off the Gen 2. What generation do you have? You will need to get the same generation as you now have. Check out the appropriate installation manual at:
Second Generation Wall Connector Installation
However, the gen 2 isn't sold on Tesla.com any longer. You will have to find someone upgrading from gen 2 to gen 3 or have a new one in the box. I see them all the time for sale here on TMC.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Hi,

I have an S and a Tesla charger at home but have now bought a Jaguar iPace as well.My question is, can I buy another Tesla charger and daisy chain it to the first one? The iPace charges fine off my current charger. I would not be using them at the same time, as I schedule my charging at night to benefit from a cheap tariff. Has anyone any experience of doing this?

Start reading on page 30 here: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/wall_connector_installation_manual_80A_en_US.pdf

Generally the answer is "yes", but probably not in the way you're thinking of. You'll need to install a junction box upstream, wire to each charger separately, and then install a communication wire between them so that they can share/balance load.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Thank you, jmaddr. I am in the UK and having trouble finding anyone who will do this! Probably silly question, but how can I Gell which gen I have?!
I would say likely you have a gen 2 as the gen 1s were discontinued some time ago (gen 3 just came out) and I'm not even sure the gen 1 was available internationally. I don't know the answer but perhaps take a look at each of the installation manuals for the gen 1 and gen 2 and see if you can find any differences:
Charging & Adapter Product Guides

but how can I Gell which gen I have?!
Ah, OK. There are simple physical differences you can identify. The brand new version 3 is obvious, because it's the first one that is white face and is noticeably smaller.
The gen 1 and 2 both had the two colors of the black or the silver, so are harder to tell apart. But does yours have a kind of port or dock built into the right side of it where the handle can be hung in there? If so, that is the gen 2. The gen 1 didn't have that, and you just had to find something else to hang it on.

I recently had a second generation 2 Tesla charger installed. As someone above said, it required a junction box which the electrician was able to hide in my panel and a communication cable between the two for load sharing. I would have preferred a dedicated circuit for both but our main line wasn’t rated high enough. We plug in the “master charger” to the car with the lowest miles and the “slave charger” to the car needing the lowest miles. It has been working very well for my wife and I. Total cost of installation was $750 not including the charger.

Attachments

• 4B929E07-F8E2-400E-816C-CC440E1BA381.jpeg
    4B929E07-F8E2-400E-816C-CC440E1BA381.jpeg
    360.3 KB · Views: 365
We plug in the “master charger” to the car with the lowest miles and the “slave charger” to the car needing the lowest miles.
That makes no difference, by the way. You can plug in either car to either connector, and they will operate the same way. There's nothing "better" or more powerful about which one is designated as the "master" one. It's just that one of however many you have connected together must be designated as "master" to be in charge of the communication for the group.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker