Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Daisy Chaning Tesla HPWC ... Output when charging one vs two

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello-I am new to the group (first post!) Anyhow, a techincal question about the output of the Tesla HPWC when chaining 2 together on a shared 60amp breaker. Right now we have one Model S that charges at its maximum rate of 48AMP and charges at a rate of around 30mph using our HPWC unit. We are in the process of purchasing second Model S that will probably have the same maximum charging rate of 48AMP (roughly 30mph), and we are considering chaining a 2nd HPWC unit to our existing one. QUESTION: If we were to chain two HPWC wall chargers on our same 60AMP breaker, what would the output be if we were to charge BOTH vehicles at the same time? Would it simply be 15mph?. AND, if we were to charge either car by itself (one car charging, the other unplugged completely) would our output still be 48AMPs (30mph)? And, would that be the same for both the "Master" and for the "Slave" charging unit? I assume there would be a setting that would allow that, but not sure. Anyone out there that has experienced this or with educated input?

The connectors (not chargers) talk to each other.
They will provide a combined output not to exceed the breaker (in your case 60A breaker will max out at 48A current.)
The point here is that the battery will charge at different speeds, at different points on charge.
As one car gets full, and the charging slows down, then this will free up current for the other car.
You are right that at the start, both card will charge at half the regular rate, but as you progress that will change dynamically.
The other advantage is that you do not have to get up in the middle of the night to switch chargers.

If only one is plugged in, it will be at maximum of 48A (60A breaker). Doesn't matter if it is master/slave.

If you have two cars charging, it will split the charge. At one point it was based on battery charge %, but I think it is simply split.

If two are plugged in but one is fully charged and the other still charging, i read that it reserves some amount for the one that isn't charging. I want to say it's 5a, but I don't recall for sure. Leaving 43a for the charging car.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
The connectors (not chargers) talk to each other.
They will provide a combined output not to exceed the breaker (in your case 60A breaker will max out at 48A current.)
The point here is that the battery will charge at different speeds, at different points on charge.
As one car gets full, and the charging slows down, then this will free up current for the other car.
You are right that at the start, both card will charge at half the regular rate, but as you progress that will change dynamically.
The other advantage is that you do not have to get up in the middle of the night to switch chargers.
If only one is plugged in, it will be at maximum of 48A (60A breaker). Doesn't matter if it is master/slave.

If you have two cars charging, it will split the charge. At one point it was based on battery charge %, but I think it is simply split.

If two are plugged in but one is fully charged and the other still charging, i read that it reserves some amount for the one that isn't charging. I want to say it's 5a, but I don't recall for sure. Leaving 43a for the charging car.
Great information...thank you for your time and input.

This is a really good summary of it. I do remember that when the new version of wall connectors first came out, people's testing did show it scaling with state of charge, but it seems in later testing that they changed that, so it does a half and half split while they're both running. When one stops, I think it is 6 amps that is the reserved amount, and the other could get 42 amps. The 6A reserved is because of how the J1772 spec is written, that it's as low as it will allow the pilot signal to advertise.

Oh, an for that extra question, about how the "master" and "slave" operate. The operation is the same either way. One just has to be designated as master to get the communication to function, so they're not fighting with conflicting signals.