Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Damaged model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know how much something like this is going to cost? Can it be fixed or is the whole panel going to be replaced?

IMG_1766.jpeg
IMG_1765.jpeg

No personal experience, fortunately, but I know that Tesla made a million of these cars all with the same fender, so there's a good chance of finding a used one in your color somewhere. Plus, grey is one of the most popular colors and one of the least sensitive to color mismatches.

It'd also be worth checking the replacement cost direct from Tesla. The fender usually goes for just over $300 and they might even offer pre-painted versions.

First quote was for $1250 to fix

Here is why it’s that much: The aluminum is very thin and take a lot of labor hours just to get it back in shape will have to use aluminum filler also Tesla use a very high end materials such as primer paint and clear all there paints is tri coats and flow coat so that the main reason for the cost.

Does that sound right to y’all?

Reactions: EatsShoots
I'm kind of stunned that they wouldn't just replace the fender. Not many shops mess around with pounding out dents and using filler on easily replaceable parts like this. I would ask for a new fender myself as that's a pretty good crease.
He recommended replacing it but he said that tesla isn’t giving out parts to non approved 3rd approved body repair shops yet so he could only fix it.

He recommended replacing it but he said that tesla isn’t giving out parts to non approved 3rd approved body repair shops yet so he could only fix it.

Right, this is because you went to a body shop that isn't Tesla certified.

I've never done body work on a car, but I tend to be DIY adventurous... so I'd probably try to order the fender myself or find a salvage one and do the job myself.

I'm sure you can find instructions somewhere online of how to remove / replace it.

First quote was for $1250 to fix

Here is why it’s that much: The aluminum is very thin and take a lot of labor hours just to get it back in shape will have to use aluminum filler also Tesla use a very high end materials such as primer paint and clear all there paints is tri coats and flow coat so that the main reason for the cost.

Does that sound right to y’all?
This shop obviously had no experience with Model 3 or is trying to get more money because this panel is regular steel. See this video for proof

Reactions: gearchruncher
He's giving you a "go away" price based on his complete lack of knowledge. Because that panel is steel, not aluminum, and you can walk into Tesla and buy one. It's part number 1081400-E0-D and Tesla's own parts catalog lists it as over the counter to anyone that wants one. It's not a part restricted to body shops, because it's non-structural.

Tesla does sell them pre-painted, but those are Tesla only parts.

There are tons of them on eBay.

I'm sure you can find instructions somewhere online of how to remove / replace it.
It's frustrating that a year after Tesla released all of their service manuals for free, people don't know about it. This body panel just bolts on.

service.tesla.com
epc.tesla.com

Reactions: fredjan
He's giving you a "go away" price based on his complete lack of knowledge. Because that panel is steel, not aluminum, and you can walk into Tesla and buy one. It's part number 1081400-E0-D and Tesla's own parts catalog lists it as over the counter to anyone that wants one. It's not a part restricted to body shops, because it's non-structural.

Tesla does sell them pre-painted, but those are Tesla only parts.

There are tons of them on eBay.

It's frustrating that a year after Tesla released all of their service manuals for free, people don't know about it. This body panel just bolts on.

service.tesla.com
epc.tesla.com
Thanks for the info, so I pulled up the part but what do I do now? Walk into a service center and order it?

For the part "Tesla does sell them pre-painted, but those are Tesla only parts." what does that mean? I get a non painted part and then what do I do with that? I have the midnight silver metallic color Model 3. Thanks!

For the part "Tesla does sell them pre-painted, but those are Tesla only parts." what does that mean? I get a non painted part and then what do I do with that? I have the midnight silver metallic color Model 3. Thanks!
It means you go to a body shop and get it painted. It comes in a dull green/yellow e-coat color.

But it's gonna be better if you find a body shop to help you with this if you're having to ask. $1250 isn't crazy- $300-$400 panel, paint, and labor to install. Install is at least a few hours to get it straight and nice panel gaps, and the right way to do it is to blend paint into the doors. All matters how picky you are.

You really don't need a Tesla approved shop for stuff like this. I had a "Tesla Approved" shop once try and charge me $2,000 to disable the HV in the car to fix a fender dent, saying it took 10 hours. It takes about 5 minutes, so they're pretty much scams. My local body shop fixed everything for $400.

If you're gonna try it yourself, you really want to find one off a wrecked car, which is the best way to get a painted one.

It means you go to a body shop and get it painted. It comes in a dull green/yellow e-coat color.

But it's gonna be better if you find a body shop to help you with this if you're having to ask. $1250 isn't crazy- $300-$400 panel, paint, and labor to install. Install is at least a few hours to get it straight and nice panel gaps, and the right way to do it is to blend paint into the doors. All matters how picky you are.

You really don't need a Tesla approved shop for stuff like this. I had a "Tesla Approved" shop once try and charge me $2,000 to disable the HV in the car to fix a fender dent, saying it took 10 hours. It takes about 5 minutes, so they're pretty much scams. My local body shop fixed everything for $400.

If you're gonna try it yourself, you really want to find one off a wrecked car, which is the best way to get a painted one.
I’m 100% not doing that myself. I’d rather let the pros do it but without going through insurance. I got a quote from someone else that can fix it and make it look “really really good” for $500

Really tough to make that decision since that’s all based on perception. I have a feeling getting that part ordered through tesla and then finding a body shop that’ll paint it and install it is going to cost significantly more than to just “fix it”

I’m lost on what to do

There's actually an advantage to a repair which does a bit of paint work. You can blend all the paint right on that one panel, no work onto the hood, bumper, or door.

A replacement panel may not be a 100% perfect match, so there is some risk there if you are picky.

If you can get a repair done for $500 all said and done, I'd pick that over a $500 panel that needs to be installed.