Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

damn did I have the capacity to charge my tesla fast all along?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 14-50 installed when I got my tesla capable of charging 32amp two years ago. The other day, I unplugged my extension cord connecting my fitness equipment and my sprinkler and low and behold I think I have a nema 6-20, and its on a 20amp breaker! So I think I can charge my car with this and its faster than regular 5amp charging right? I had this all along. I also unplugged the washer and dryer and both have the same nema 6-20 plugs!
IMG_2859.jpg
IMG_2866.jpg

Since you have a 14-50 outlet I assume this question is just out of curiosity? If you want to use that outlet you can convert it to a 240V / 20amp circuit:

Here is how to do this:
1. First you need to ensure you are using a dedicated circuit. If the circuit serves any other outlets or lights you need to disable them.
2. Replace the single pole 20A breaker with a dual-pole 20A breaker. This means you will need two open slots side by side.
3. Wire the black wire to one breaker and the white to the other, leave the ground connected
4. Replace the 5-20 (120V) outlet with a 6-20 (240V) outlet
5. Buy a 6-20 adapter from Tesla

This will triple your charging rate: the 5-20 outlets gives you about 4 mile/hr while the 6-20 is about 15. Of course the 14-50 is 30 miles per hour.

• Helpful
Reactions: BogStandard
Yeah, that’s a 20 amp 120V outlet, so a bit better than the standard 15 amp 120V outlet, but still not fast. You can charge at 16 amps continuous on it, which means 1.9 kW charging (multiply amps and volts). Compare that to the 32 amp 240V, which gives you 7.7kW, 4 times faster!
This is my experience exactly. My garage outlet looks jus floor the OP’s and I get right around 1.9 kW, which is better than I expected. End up getting around 6 miles per hour of charge.

Since you have a 14-50 outlet I assume this question is just out of curiosity?

I kind of took the OPs post similiarly, like "I paid for a 14-50 but had this all along, I didnt need to install the 14-50 right?". In this case, if the slightly faster charging from the 5-20 would have been enough, but its not a 6-20 like the OP suspected... so the purchase of the 14-50 was not a waste.