Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dangers of sharing number plate ++

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering what are the dangers of sharing license plate numbers, VINs, name etc in a way that can be gathered online.
I notice some people are very careful, others less so.
The careful ones don't share real name, blurred/hidden numbers plates in photos/videos, hide parts of VIN.
Others, example was the video I watched on YouTube of Frugal Tesla Guy I can see his number plate, real name and roughly where he lives.

What's the worst case scenario, and what are other smaller problems sharing could cause?

As others have said, the license plate is essentially public knowledge, as is the VIN. What is private is the database that links the LPN back to a specific owner.

The risk in publicising the LPN comes if there's somebody out there that leaks information that links that LPN back to a specific individual. I know of one website where it's possible to pay a sum of money, and, if they have that information, obtain an email address associated with that LPN. I am not going to reveal more information about what that website is until I have confirmation that the hole has been closed. (I've alerted the company in question; they've acknowledged the problem and have indicated that they are working to fix it.) It's not a loophole that would be used by a general trawler, given the cost associated with obtaining the information, but it could be used if somebody was after details about a particular individual.

Low probability potential threat vector:
If someone ties your VIN / plate to you
And they see you car pull onto a movie theater
Then they may be more likely to rob your house since you will likely not be home for a while.

Low chance this happening unless someone is compiling a database of VIN/plates and addresses.

More often used bariations on this are why they stopped putting address into on registration and insurance docs that are required to be in your car where I live (US). Break into car, find address, perhaps take garage door opener, rob house.