Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dark ash?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It will be great if someone please post dark ash pictures taken without flash, in daylight.

It's night time but here are a couple photos with a bounce flash, shot with a Nikon D600 and a 14-24mm lense and enhanced with PhotoShop. It gives a clearer view of the grain in the dark ash. It is difficult to photograph even in bright sunlight because of the very shiny gloss which reflects a lot.

In a lot of bright sunlight the light grain is very visible, but in less light it looks like smudges and without decent lighting the Dark Ash looks like Piano Black. I think it is actually quite striking in bright sunlight.

I'm very happy with my selection with the white seats, the dark ash, the Black Alcantara Headliner and the black carpet. It just looks really great together, but tonight I was showing the X to a friend and he asked if it was plastic because the dark ash has such a shiny gloss. For the record I asked my DS about the trim and he said without any hesitation that the dark ash is genuine wood grain not plastic. My friend thought all the colors and Tesla's design of the inside doors and dash made the entire interior look futuristic and like a spaceship or plane cockpit. I think the lighter wood trim wouldn't really go with the rest of my choices so I'm quite happy with the dark ash.

Attachments

• DarkAsh01.jpg
    DarkAsh01.jpg
    617.9 KB · Views: 801
  • DarkAshCloseup.jpg
    DarkAshCloseup.jpg
    872.2 KB · Views: 782
It's night time but here are a couple photos with a bounce flash, shot with a Nikon D600 and a 14-24mm lense and enhanced with PhotoShop. It gives a clearer view of the grain in the dark ash. It is difficult to photograph even in bright sunlight because of the very shiny gloss which reflects a lot.

In a lot of bright sunlight the light grain is very visible, but in less light it looks like smudges and without decent lighting the Dark Ash looks like Piano Black. I think it is actually quite striking in bright sunlight.

I'm very happy with my selection with the white seats, the dark ash, the Black Alcantara Headliner and the black carpet. It just looks really great together, but tonight I was showing the X to a friend and he asked if it was plastic because the dark ash has such a shiny gloss. For the record I asked my DS about the trim and he said without any hesitation that the dark ash is genuine wood grain not plastic. My friend thought all the colors and Tesla's design of the inside doors and dash made the entire interior look futuristic and like a spaceship or plane cockpit. I think the lighter wood trim wouldn't really go with the rest of my choices so I'm quite happy with the dark ash.
Looks nice! Thanks for the pictures. This looks very similar to my BMW 5 series trim, albeit with nicer grains/pattern. I would look forward to more pictures from you when time permits. Many thanks!

I saw the dark ash at the Meet Model X event and most people I spoke with (including three Tesla Reps) mistaken it for Piano black under showroom lighting. I would say it's 95% similar to Piano Black at various angles. You can only see the wood grains when you have strong direct light on the trim. For those of you looking for Piano Black, then Dark Ash would be the choice for you. I originally configured with Dark Ash because it looks good in Design studio and I envisioned it as a dark wood trim where the wood grains are obvious like the Mercedes dark wood trims. However we were disappointed seeing the actual thing and we ended up switching to Carbon Fiber. We couldn't justify paying $750 for a trim that looks 95% like the Model S base trim.

The Obeche wood is still my favorite trim. I almost ordered with the dark ash, but then read a comment that it was like piano black and difficult to see any wood grain, so I went Obeche. Got to see it on an X a few weeks ago and yep, that pretty much sums it up. Looks piano black in most lighting, but looks really nice when the light does hit it right to expose the grain. I think the figured ash is much more attractive, if you like the more red/brown look -- I think it looks great with the tan leather. My X is being built with matte Obeche and ultra white seats. My brother has matte Obeche in his S, so I've looked at it a lot and I think it's going to look great amidst all the other black/white.

...I'd really like to see a burly or birds-eye maple or spalted maple/ hickory trim option. But now I'm just being a wood snob. ;)

We have dark ash on our X with tan. Had I been able to see it before we ordered there is a good chance we would have picked differently. However, now that we have it, it's grown on me. It matches the seat-backs well, and when the light hits it you can see the grain. The fact that it appears not be super popular is also nice. I don't particularly like the figured ash with the tan.