Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Darker tint for rear door glass?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Different states have different tint laws between passenger cars and SUV/Trucks. I wonder which category the Model-Y will fall into? In Virginia, passenger cars can only have 50% tint (not very dark) on the rear doors/windows, but SUV's & Trucks can have 35% behind the front doors. It does seem the Model-Y will come with factory tint for all rear doors/windows.

M3 had no factory tint, aside from the UV coating on the roof glass. I would assume the Y would be the same. Tint is something that people have varying opinions on and like to customize themselves. Not to mention different state regulations. Other manufacturers usually leave it to the dealer to tint windows.

As with most if not all SUV/Crossovers the rear side glass and hatch glass will be factory dark glass. Here are a couple of Y’s with manufacturers plates:

017FDF4B-7F36-4EDB-9A3A-34C7570C695F.jpeg

F9747685-5A06-450E-8B96-7E428A4DE4BE.jpeg

CEA0C9AF-ACD2-4F1F-BB81-B4CAE496E160.jpeg

Last edited:
NP. It will be great to only have to use tint film on the front sides.
Does anyone know what level of tint is typically used on the rear windows of SUVs? Does Tesla use ceramic tints? Also (first time Tesla soon-to-be-owner) does anyone recommend ceramic tint on the roof of the 3/Y?

I live in SoCal so lots of sun and have had ceramic tinting done on other cars and I love it. I just don’t know how crazy I should go with my Y...

M3 had no factory tint, aside from the UV coating on the roof glass. I would assume the Y would be the same. Tint is something that people have varying opinions on and like to customize themselves. Not to mention different state regulations. Other manufacturers usually leave it to the dealer to tint windows.
Boomer, here! :) Besides the usual decrease in max pupil size with age, I'm starting to develop cataracts, like most people will. Should have worn sunglasses more. o_O

Alas, I'd love dark tint all around on my red Y with chrome delete! If it comes with no tint, I'll put a light tint on the rear windows.