Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash cam, exactly what do I do with it under what circumstances?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 64g memory chip plugged in and it is working. When I happen to notice my screen says I have a couple of events I touch the camera on the top of the screen till the red light goes out, then take the chip and plug it into the USB port on my desktop. Then I see endless numbers of film files. I am wasting time clicking g on them and generally seeing nothing. Is there a place with more detailed info than the users manual?

Sorry, to continue, if I am driving and want to capture something that just happened what do I do. If I get home and notice damage on my car what do I do with the dashcam. If I get into an accident what exactly do I do with it? I have a midrange plus? purchased in Feb 19 without auto pilot. Does my rear camera record also?

Rear camera does not record dash cam.

Also, you are combining two different things (sentry mode, and dash cam) into one function, when they are separate. They both record to the same place, but are different features.

Dash cam = camera that records when you drive. Always recording and writes over itself after 1 hour of driving. If you want to save something from the dash cam, you push the little download icon and it will save that footage instead of writing over it.

Sentry mode = mode which can record while the car is parked for security purposes. It can be setup to auto activate or not. It always saves and does not write over itself. The "sentry detected" you see if you see one alert when you get back to the car is likely YOU as you walk up to the car.

In neither mode does the rear camera record (yet). To get more information, you can search this site for "dash cam" and "sentry mode" as two separate searches, and read the threads on each.

• Informative
Reactions: Pommie
For sentry, any time it goes to alert mode, it saves the last 10 minutes of footage on all 3 cameras that it records (front, and left/right repeater). Usually the thing that triggered the alert will appear in the last minute or two of the clips.

For dashcam when you tap the camera icon while driving it'll save off the last 10 minutes as well.

The saved clips folder has all these saved files and is never overwritten (so your drive will fill up if you don't clean it out)

One slight correction to what @jjrandorin said, when you want to save a clip from the dash cam, wait a minute after the event that you want to save to touch the dash cam icon on the screen. You want to give the car time to finish writing the current file to "disk" before it saves off the last 10 minute-long video files from each camera. Maybe the behavior has changed in recent firmware releases, but previously, this was an issue.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Rear camera does not record dash cam.

Also, you are combining two different things (sentry mode, and dash cam) into one function, when they are separate. They both record to the same place, but are different features.

Dash cam = camera that records when you drive. Always recording and writes over itself after 1 hour of driving. If you want to save something from the dash cam, you push the little download icon and it will save that footage instead of writing over it.

Sentry mode = mode which can record while the car is parked for security purposes. It can be setup to auto activate or not. It always saves and does not write over itself. The "sentry detected" you see if you see one alert when you get back to the car is likely YOU as you walk up to the car.

In neither mode does the rear camera record (yet). To get more information, you can search this site for "dash cam" and "sentry mode" as two separate searches, and read the threads on each.
Thank you

Does dash cam record GPS location?

I would like to record a journey (sounds though like I cannot) as I am recording air quality from an external monitor. It would be nice to augment my AQ plot, with video.

I suspect that I am looking at a third party dash cam though, or something to sync my go pro with my AQ data. These will probably be more flexible as I can also use the solution when I am on foot or on a bike.

Nice though to have all round view with Tesla though.