Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash Cam Gone...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All

Suddenly I have no Dashcam icon. I HAVE:

Tried another new Card
Reformatted cards
Rebooted Car

The Sentry mode icon is there and works in terms of the screen warning and (number of alerts) although doesn't save any clips.

What with this and the speech recognition/commands being woeful, me and this car are about to have our first falling out...

Advice most welcome.

Cheers

I seem to have managed to b****r up several of my memory sticks by either pulling them out of the usb slot without pausing the dashcam or leaving them in while installing a software update, which seems to kill them. Are you sure it’s not the memory stick that is corrupt? You still get the sentry icon but nothing records.

I seem to have managed to b****r up several of my memory sticks by either pulling them out of the usb slot without pausing the dashcam or leaving them in while installing a software update, which seems to kill them. Are you sure it’s not the memory stick that is corrupt? You still get the sentry icon but nothing records.
Well I’m using SD cards + Card Reader. I can understand one going bang but I’ve tried a brand new one and there’s no joy either. I’m now going to try an external HDD as one option and a different card reader as another option...

Camera works fine, I seem to have worked it out after trial and error. I swapped the nice SanDisk card reader that was recommended and has been working fine with one out of a Christmas Cracker, and the Dash Cam icon popped up and works fine. So I guess the card readers can fail as well as the cards?!

I found issues with electro mechanical compatibility of Model 3 USB socket and some items from a small sample of USB plugs. With one, by slightly re orientating the USB plug, I could make the dashcam come and go. I concluded that the USB socket in model 3 was not quite as firm as some other sockets where same plugs make totally reliable connection.

Mine has gone away as well after recent update. I’ve used the same usb for 6 months and it has footage from a few days ago. I had not noticed until this morning when the car in front of me lost control and slammed into the wall. I went to hit record and it was gone.

Most people seem to have the best results when using an SSD Hard Drive, rather than a USB stick. Especially compared to a USB reader and memory card.

There is a lot of read/write going on. When dashcam is enabled the car is constantly writing to the drive. A proper SSD hard drive will be more resilient to constant reading & writing. Cheap USB sticks in particular are not reliable in this respect.

I use a SanDisk 250gb SSD with a SATA to USB adapter cable and it's been working flawlessly since I got the car 2 months ago.

Dash Cam Gone !

my sentry is still recording but I no longer have an icon for DashCam.. this is since the update to 50.7 ! anyone else got this issue ?

Have you actually checked that sentry is recording? I got the red Hal’s eye on the screen even though the recording medium was corrupt so no dash cam icon and when I checked there were no sentry clips recorded either.