Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dash Cams (2 channel)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As far as I was aware, OBDII is required. At least that is what I have heard oft-repeated: All cars and light trucks built and sold in the United States after January 1, 1996 were required to be OBD II equipped.

Is that no longer true?
the guy that runs the Model 3 Owners Club site was saying he had been told the Navdy aftermarket HUD would not work and he took that to mean they may have gotten a waiver to eliminate the OBD-II (which the Navdy runs off of) but I'd say that's far from confirmation.
I searched around on both CARBs & SAEs sites and could not find anything specifically on BEVs and the OBD-II, plenty on PHEV, Fuel Cell, etc, but not specifically BEVs. Closest I could find was SAE J2847/4 that speaks to diagnostic communications for PEVs, but on the publicly visible versions, can't see specifics.
personally, I think it will be there, but until there is confirmation, I have at least a little doubt ;)

Nice job @melindav. Clearly you've done some research. And maybe Trevor is right. But...until we find that out for a fact, my money would be on it being there. I just don't see how the propulsion (ICE, PHEV, fuel cell or EV) would make a difference. Did Tesla convince a massive bureaucracy to let it be the only manufacturer to forgo a OBD II? I remember seeing one of the earliest Model X prototypes in person (they brought it into the Tesla store at the upscale Santana Row mall in nearby San Jose back in May of 2012). And it had cameras instead of rear view mirrors. Are camera's better than rear view mirrors? I'd argue, yes. They can be placed in such a way to completely eliminate blind spots, for example. But rules require rear view mirrors. So come production...of course Model X had mirrors. The teaser silotette for the Tesla semi has no rear view mirrors either. The prototype that will be revealed this month will probably lack mirrors. But unless the laws change between now and 2020 when Tesla actually produces the Semi...I suspect it will have rear view mirrors. Hopefully that law can change in the next 2.5 years, but we'll see. But back to ODB II...I'd be surprised if they got a waiver. Now...maybe the ODB II port is hidden under an interior panel or something and maybe it is utterly useless and vestigial. But I kind of think it's still there, somewhere. Of course, it shoudln't be too long before someone exposes the fact, either way, I'd imagine.

You don't need a power magic pro on a Tesla, the dash cam can stay on 24/7. The DC to DC converter will top off the 12V battery when low unlike an ICE
Old thread, but with the relevant info - so digging it up. Can anyone give an estimate of the vampire effect of a 650/750 2-ch setup running 24/7? What's the overnight draw look like, assuming it's just idle on stand-by (no wash shaking the car, or prowlers circling the vehicle).

Old thread, but with the relevant info - so digging it up. Can anyone give an estimate of the vampire effect of a 650/750 2-ch setup running 24/7? What's the overnight draw look like, assuming it's just idle on stand-by (no wash shaking the car, or prowlers circling the vehicle).

@ev-now,

Great relevant question. This will apply to me as well. Curious to know.

Ski

Reactions: preilly44
I had Calibred Customs (who did my X install) come out for my 3 install today...I was there first 3 customer (they are traveling to the Bay Area tomorrow for additional installs).

I will have a full write up + video + pics soon but here is a summary:

- The install is more difficult than the X and S.
- They said everything is much better put together compared to the S and X.
- They did a super-clean job.

View attachment 270888

But unfortunately the power source we used (passenger footwell area) shuts down the power to the car within 3 minutes
View attachment 270889

Any tips on alternative power sources? I am gonna have them comeback and fix this.

The problem is that we don't know where the fuse box is and Tesla doesn't label the fuses.

Too bad!

You've got to find where the fuse box is and when you look at it, it's easy to identify a relay that looks like a big rectangle not a slim colorful fuse. It's labeled as K3-DG82 below for Model S:

upload_2018-1-3_19-41-20.png

I had Calibred Customs (who did my X install) come out for my 3 install today...I was there first 3 customer (they are traveling to the Bay Area tomorrow for additional installs).

I will have a full write up + video + pics soon but here is a summary:

But unfortunately the power source we used (passenger footwell area) shuts down the power to the car within 3 minutes
Any tips on alternative power sources? I am gonna have them comeback and fix this.
Considering they certainly know what they are doing. I guess they have confirmed that there is no OBD II port that they can tap into for power. Correct/accurate?