Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashboard design and NHTSA regulations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you're of a certain age, you might remember the button on the steering column that you would pull out to activate the hazard lights. That may be the solution Tesla goes with here to keep the "clean" look they're going for.

Like the 92 Buick I drive now? My car still has a pair of keys, one of the door and trunk and the other for the ignition.

The blinker button moved to the dash because Japanese drivers often trigger their emergency flashers to tell other drivers "thank you" if someone lets them in or something. The Japanese started it on their cars and most of the industry copied them.

Like the 92 Buick I drive now? My car still has a pair of keys, one of the door and trunk and the other for the ignition.

The blinker button moved to the dash because Japanese drivers often trigger their emergency flashers to tell other drivers "thank you" if someone lets them in or something. The Japanese started it on their cars and most of the industry copied them.

Yep, I had my share of terrible American cars in high school and early 20's....

Just saying, just because we didn't see the button on the dash, doesn't mean Tesla didn't move it back to the steering column. That IS one of the buttons/switches that has to be physical.

Yep, I had my share of terrible American cars in high school and early 20's....

Just saying, just because we didn't see the button on the dash, doesn't mean Tesla didn't move it back to the steering column. That IS one of the buttons/switches that has to be physical.

I bought the Buick new and it's been a great car. It's still running great after 24 years and the interior still looks nearly new.

I'm only in the market for a new car because we need to make roadtrips to California in the coming years and my SO's Subaru is too small for me (my tailbone hurt for a month after the last long road trip we took in it). I didn't see any new car that I liked better than my Buick until I took a look at the Model S on a whim. It's a lot more expensive than the price range I was looking at, but with some stretching of the budget I can do it.

Why not, doesn't the model S have the gear selector on the steering column? That's a bit old school, and something I haven't seen in a long time.

So maybe the hazards on the steering column is a good option.

My 92 Buick also has the gear shift on the steering column and no console other than storage in the old fashioned fold down arm rest.

Since the Model S doesn't really have selectable gears, the control is sort of there so people see something familiar. All it does is select between forward, reverse, and park.

I'm pretty sure there will be a HUD putting critical info in front of the driver. But what I really hope is for a BLACKOUT MODE on the main screen. I work with video screens in my face all day. I watch tv at night. I like my car to be the one place where I don't have a video screen in my face. Especially at night. I want to experience the road and lights in the world outside, not have the ghostly light of a video screen in my peripheral vision all the time. I dont ALWAYS need a map. I don't always need TECH in my face. Sometimes I just want to drive.

Reactions: RobStark
I'd be most worried about how that screen sticking out there would hold up during crash testing. Doesn't seem like you could engineer it not to be a liability. Also, is the screen really so bright that you never have a glare issue on the Model S? Keep in mind that instrument clusters, no matter where they're mounted, always have that overhang that shades it. I've only ever driven a Model S at night, so I'd be curious to hear if the combination of an all glass roof and a giant touch screen never cause visibility issues.
I agree that the screen sticking out without padding around the edges would be a liability to Tesla and a recall waiting to happen, even if it is legal. I think the screen could be built into the dash and still stick out like it is floating as long as there is padding on the edges to protect occupants in case of a hard stop or crash.

I hope the screen is placed in a way that does not obstruct knee room for the driver and passenger. I already have knee room problems in the driver and passenger side of many cars I drive.

I also hope they do include an additional HUD display, so drivers are not required to glance to the side for driving information.

Reactions: jkk_
As far as the screen sticking out, I think it only has to pass crash loads. Audi managed to do a double articulated motorized screen that sticks out of the top of their dash. Admittedly it is a much smaller screen, but apparently it is possible. (and yes, that dang Audi thing is motorized and inserts itself into and out of the dash every time you turn the car on and off. I just remember wondering how much it would cost when it broke, LOL)

212339.jpeg.gif

As far as the screen sticking out, I think it only has to pass crash loads. Audi managed to do a double articulated motorized screen that sticks out of the top of their dash. Admittedly it is a much smaller screen, but apparently it is possible. (and yes, that dang Audi thing is motorized and inserts itself into and out of the dash every time you turn the car on and off. I just remember wondering how much it would cost when it broke, LOL)

View attachment 172181

I have this screen in my A3 sedan.

I also have the option to "put it away" when driving. It's a nice thing to have when you're making a long overnight drive and don't want the light of the screen in the cabin distracting you. I, too, would love to see at least a "blackout" mode on the Model 3.

Reactions: slipnslider
Everyone is well aware of that. A crashed display still means zero information about how autopilot is working, zero speed information, zero visual proximity detector warnings among other things.

But how is that different than today? I've rebooted the instrument cluster while driving before and it's no big deal. You lose your speed for few seconds, but that's it.

I'm pretty sure there will be a HUD putting critical info in front of the driver. But what I really hope is for a BLACKOUT MODE on the main screen. I work with video screens in my face all day. I watch tv at night. I like my car to be the one place where I don't have a video screen in my face. Especially at night. I want to experience the road and lights in the world outside, not have the ghostly light of a video screen in my peripheral vision all the time. I dont ALWAYS need a map. I don't always need TECH in my face. Sometimes I just want to drive.
I agree 100%...I would definitely prefer a dark or mostly dark screen when not searching car/navi status etc..

I've never ridden in a model S. Does anyone know if there's a way to turn off the screen for the S? Or since tesla is a tech company filled with tech people, do they simply assume everyone wants TECH! in their face at all times?
I'd be surprised if most screens can't be turned off, as they tend to display only entertainment and nav. BMW idrive has this option, although I don't know why anyone would use it.

To me the pre-production Model 3 screen looks a little bit ridiculous. I'd be surprised if it simply isn't a ad hoc, surrogate for info intended to eventually be put into another display format. LCD tech is a very small portion of the materials cost for this car, after all. Form fitting OLED would be nice.

I'd be surprised if most screens can't be turned off, as they tend to display only entertainment and nav. BMW idrive has this option, although I don't know why anyone would use it.

Reading a Model S thread, it seems the only way to do it is to put the screen into "screen cleaning mode". Which requires you to cycle through some menus. Everyone on on that thread seemed to think it was ridiculous to ever want your screen turned off. But I honestly don't want a video screen constantly in my peripheral vision, if I know where I'm going, or if I'm driving at night.