Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashboard Rattle or Squeak or Creak

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have seen a few posts regarding rattles/squeaks behind the dashboard, but they have mostly been on newer cars. My issue was resolved a few days ago so I figure I post it here in case someone else is experiencing a similar problem.
In my case with the 2015 P85D the noise was coming from the centre of the top dash cover, maybe a little towards the steering wheel. It sounded like plastic flexing, not unlike many of the other creaks in a Tesla. The difference with this creak was that it was loud enough to be heard even when the radio was on. I tried pushing down on pretty much every inch of the dashboard, including the screen to see if I could make the sound go away. No luck. At the end I took it in to the SC and asked them to have a look and they traced it to the Strut Crossmember Bolt that wasn't torqued to the correct spec. Now no more noise!

I have seen a few posts regarding rattles/squeaks behind the dashboard, but they have mostly been on newer cars. My issue was resolved a few days ago so I figure I post it here in case someone else is experiencing a similar problem.
In my case with the 2015 P85D the noise was coming from the centre of the top dash cover, maybe a little towards the steering wheel. It sounded like plastic flexing, not unlike many of the other creaks in a Tesla. The difference with this creak was that it was loud enough to be heard even when the radio was on. I tried pushing down on pretty much every inch of the dashboard, including the screen to see if I could make the sound go away. No luck. At the end I took it in to the SC and asked them to have a look and they traced it to the Strut Crossmember Bolt that wasn't torqued to the correct spec. Now no more noise!
Thanks for sharing, my 2017 model S has the same noise. However when I move the cross bar with hand it does not move at all. Yours was moving before sc torqued the screws?