Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DashCam - Caught accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Slightly off topic:
Do lane changes with auto pilot meet the "100 feet rule"?
I always thought that sometimes it initiates the lane change too quickly.

In my experience, it waits way too long to do a lane change, and I end up either taking control or missing my lane change opportunity. However, on my stretch of freeway, because of all the fog in the central valley, they have those nifty 500, 400, 300, 200, 100 feet road markers so people can tell how far they can see in the fog. I may have to test out how long it actually takes, in feet, for the AP to do a normal lane change. But then again just timing it and doing some math based off how fast I'm going should do the trick as well.

Slightly off topic:
Do lane changes with auto pilot meet the "100 feet rule"?
I always thought that sometimes it initiates the lane change too quickly.
What an opportune time to ask this question! For me, autopilot lane change can happen fairly quickly (approx 100') or sometimes not at all (using AP1). One thing I know for sure, it will only change one lane! If I want to cross two lanes, I have to turn the signal off and back on again. No way will autopilot bolt across 3 lanes of a highway at once.

Here in California, people merge from the axillary lane, crossing the solid white line, into traffic and then into left lane routinely...daily, all the time. I'm surprised that folk here find it unusual and debating on the merits/dangers of this.

It's inconsiderate, dumb, and by the letter probably illegal -- as are a lot of things we witness on the road -- like having a phone in one's hand, right????

No update from CHP on this either.

It's pretty clear to me that each lane change is considered a separate event. If it applies to the initial lane change, why would it not apply to a subsequent lane change, even if it's during a continuous motion? It's a turn, just like the first lane change.
22108. Any signal of intention to turn right or left shall be given continuously during the last 100 feet traveled by the vehicle before turning.

I agree with you that the intent is probably that the 100 ft. resets with each line, but I agree with the argument that the letter (as you quoted and bolded) needs improvement.

I would take another tack at interpretation.

As I understand it, the phrasing is saying the sequence should be: { signal, wait 100 ft, turn, straight, turn back, signal off }.

It's totally reasonable (to normal people, not necessarily lawyers) for the "straight" portion to cross multiple lanes.

I would expect a separate portion to state that a lane change must include "turn back" as part of the lane change sequence for each lane line crossed. If such a portion existed, it would thus refine the meaning of 22108 to align with @whatthe2's interpretation.