Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam no longer working correctly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else noticed their dashcam being a hit weird lately, possibly since the last update? My sentry works fine, no issues there. But my dashcam will no longer record continuously now. Only ever records the particular journey when I peep horn, or press tye screen camera icon. I've tried enabling and disabling record on honk but it simply won't record continuously now.

Any idea?

Not sure what mine does TBH since I only ever check sentry or after I have asked for it to save a clip. What I would say though is that Dashcams are notoriously hard on Flash memory. What media are you using and how old is it?
Try wiping and reformatting it. or replace. I recommend the new Sandisk Max endurance SD cards (128GB should be enough) which are designed for exactly this purpose. You could also try a re-boot on the car for the hell of it.

Assuming this is a refresh Model 3 you're talking about, and you're using the standard Tesla branded Samsung USB stick that comes with it, you could try sticking the USB stick in one of the console ports instead (will need a converter I guess) and seeing if that helps.

If it does, then raise a service request for an issue with your glovebox USB.

But my dashcam will no longer record continuously now. Only ever records the particular journey when I peep horn, or press tye screen camera icon. I've tried enabling and disabling record on honk but it simply won't record continuously now.

Thats how it is meant to work - the last iirc 60 minutes does end up in a recentclips folder, but the contents are very transient and can disappear without warning. A recent enhancement to the viewer put the recent clips at the top (in its own recent heading) of the clips list for easy access from the viewer, but I am not aware that the transient nature of that folder has changed. Its certainly still present and functioning on 2021.4.16.5.

There has been some discussion in the past regarding the transient nature of the recent clips folder. Its been a while but iirc clips gets sequentially overridden/deleted after the car has been on for 60 minutes - ie, its not gone to sleep. I'll see if I can find that thread, but am not sure how relevant the info remains. It may be this thread New Dashcam Viewer Question

Its quite possible that if you see no recent clips that they have already been deleted.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado and Jez_GB
Well then this is weird! mine must have not been working correctly (albeit to my advantage) since collecting the car on December 20. Presume I probably had the save on honk disabled, however my continuous dashcam footage would always be saved (perhaps only the last hour of each journey like you say, though I can't confirm 100%), but I'd always have a huge list of journeys in my dashcam viewer from car, as well as the sentry viewer I mean. And I have recalled the dashcam footage on many occasions. Now my dashcam viewer is just blank. No entries. Not unless I honk the horn if I enable that option.

I bought a 1TB ssd so that I could store dashcam footage continuously and not have to worry too much about drive degradation. Seems odd that tesla don't allow this now. 100%, that's how my dashcam worked since December (rightly or wrongly).

Why would tesla not allow the option to k save all continuous footage without needing human intervention? I.e. Honk to save. Seems odd.

Save on honk and press to save clip are not mutually exclusive. Save on honk only gives an alternative way to save a clip, if enabled in addition to hitting the save clip 'button'. So the save on honk setting would not change clip retention behaviour.

It is weird, but what you may have been seeing is that as well as the last 60 minutes, you were also getting sentry clips - these are retained automatically until media fills to a certain amount when stale clips are purged. Sometimes, when a sentry event is close to a transition to drive, you can get both a drive and sentry in the same 'event'. It may also be that I seem (not 100% sure) to have to pick dashcam or sentry when viewing list, not both. iirc it use to be that you could see a consolidated list of both drive and sentry events.