Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam not recording an hour

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. Not sure if it was a recent update and how long this has been happening. My dashcam no longer records the last hour while driving. It only records the last 10 minutes. Formatted my Samsung T5 drive and it makes no difference.

Or what could be happening is it doesn’t start recording until 10 minutes into the journey. It’s one or the other. Either way I end up with less than a 10 minute recording at the end of my 25 minute journey.

I have the record setting on auto.

Anyone else noticed this or can test to see if theirs is the same?

10 minutes!? So unless you save it (by blindly navigating the touch screen, wasting a slot on the shortcuts, or honking your horn at confused pedestrians), you've got no chance. Seems silly to arbitrarily limit as many will have SSDs or large SD cards. If its an in-car limitation with too many files, then let us browse the last 10 mins in car but keep longer for PC use?

Thats barely usable

10 minutes!? So unless you save it (by blindly navigating the touch screen, wasting a slot on the shortcuts, or honking your horn at confused pedestrians), you've got no chance. Seems silly to arbitrarily limit as many will have SSDs or large SD cards. If its an in-car limitation with too many files, then let us browse the last 10 mins in car but keep longer for PC use?

Thats barely usable
Yes that’s exactly it. Other people elsewhere say they changed it from an hour because people were getting glitches and there would be no recordings at all. I think we need a third party dashcam installed then.

On 2022.24.13 it seems to be an hour as well. It would be nice to be able to restrict it to a certain amount of storage, say 256gb if I have a 512gb SSD.

The dashcam feature feels a bit half baked to me. Playpack is difficult and slow in the car, the in car UI doesn't communicate clearly how the running buffer works or how to use the dashcam, the playback UI doesn't really differentiate clips vs the 1 hour buffer.

I have a cheap wifi security camera that has a much better interface for all this stuff.

Hi , can anyone confirm, to view the spooling 1 hour, do you have to remove stick to view this on a PC? currently at the end of a drive and when parking i only see the last 5-10 mins . is that now normal?

Saving footage works fine , i have it set to manual, tap the icon , 10 mins gets saved.

Hi , can anyone confirm, to view the spooling 1 hour, do you have to remove stick to view this on a PC? currently at the end of a drive and when parking i only see the last 5-10 mins . is that now normal?

Saving footage works fine , i have it set to manual, tap the icon , 10 mins gets saved.

yes - pull it and put it in a PC. I use an SSD and that also works into an ipad if that helps?

I do wish they'd add that to the app - even needing wifi would be ok. I've taken to just filming my screen like an old person :p

Reactions: M1tch and fholbert
yes - pull it and put it in a PC. I use an SSD and that also works into an ipad if that helps?

I do wish they'd add that to the app - even needing wifi would be ok. I've taken to just filming my screen like an old person :p

sorry just so on the same page, if I took the stick out at the end of a drive, plugged into a PC i could view a full historic one hour that I just drove?

sorry just so on the same page, if I took the stick out at the end of a drive, plugged into a PC i could view a full historic one hour that I just drove?

I don't know exactly what length of trip its recording on a loop (and that may vary depending on free space on your card) but yes. Its just a FAT32 formatted USB stick that comes with the car, and you have folders for saved clips (when you press the button/honk your horn etc) and a folder for the looped recording. Its a bit messy in there with all the different cameras and I think they're also broken up into short clips.

There is an ios app that lets you plug into and it lets you browse/save so I'm sure there must be something for mac/windows that can do the same

Long time since I did this (this use to be the only way to view clips) but the ‘1 hour’ use to be split over many 5x second non contiguous clips per camera saved in a folder which would continue to be overwritten all the while the car remained awake.

So if you didn’t remove media (press and hold cam icon to ‘eject’) immediately, there was a very high likelihood that this drive info was ‘lost’. Also high probability that this would corrupt the media on removal or reinsertion.

Things have changed since then so may be slightly different now. We now have cutting edge features like ability to view clips in car - progress indeed…