Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam/ Sentry mode feature request. Thoughts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious as to why they are taking so long to add them. I'm guessing the way they had the system implemented makes this a larger engineering effort than one might think.

I think I saw some notes in one of those early V10 releases that the rear camera is now added.

I heard it was for the dashcam. Didnt hear about sentry mode.

I really hope that add what my wife asked for. I cant see why it would be so hard...

TeslaCam and Sentry Mode are essentially the same feature when it comes to video recording. I don’t see why they would only enable rear view camera recording for one and not the other.

N Harris on Twitter

My wife just tweeted this to Elon and Tesla. I think its brilliant.

I dont have twitter and dont understand how it works. Do people have to retweet this for him to see it more??
IMO that would be an extremely extra feature that would just add clutter to the UI and isn't even worth the time to integrate.

Storage is cheap, and it gets cheaper every day. A heatproof, shockproof, waterproof 128 GB Samsung drive is $20.

It's worth the investment.

With V10 automatically deleting sentry clips, one drive can go a long way.

Reactions: XLR82XS
IMO that would be an extremely extra feature that would just add clutter to the UI and isn't even worth the time to integrate.

Storage is cheap, and it gets cheaper every day. A heatproof, shockproof, waterproof 128 GB Samsung drive is $20.

It's worth the investment.

With V10 automatically deleting sentry clips, one drive can go a long way.
Not sure i follow how it would clutter the UI. Under Safety and Security and Sentry Mode. Just have an option to toggle which cameras you want.

I have an SSD drive installed in my car so Dashcam and Sentry mode are always running, but I never look at any of the videos. The process of removing the drive from my car, mounting it on my MacBook, and then sifting through hundreds of 30 second clips to see if there is anything worth looking at is just too cumbersome and awkward. Until Tesla provides an option to review the videos on the car screen in an organized manner I really don’t find the software to be at all useful.

I suppose if I’m involved in an accident I’ll go through the trouble of sorting through the videos. Otherwise I just ignore all of it.

Reactions: klib and XLR82XS
N Harris on Twitter

My wife just tweeted this to Elon and Tesla. I think its brilliant.

I dont have twitter and dont understand how it works. Do people have to retweet this for him to see it more??
Not sure I see the point of this. As mentioned above why would you want to turn off cameras that could potentially catch an event? Also as mentioned above, storage is cheap.

With the next update coming out old Sentry files will be deleted when the drive is filled.