Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DashCam USB corruption - getting frustrated - whose solution WORKS??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You prefer the Windows hidden junk files? :p

Curious, why do you need a 256GB thumb drive for the cam?

Was just worried that once they enable more cameras for dashcam, the storage requirements will increase. Also, it decreases the number of times the drive is written by a factor of 4 compared to a 64gb drive and a factor 16 compared to a 16gb drive.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
If the dashcam works for extended periods of time it doesn't necessarily mean that there is no corruption. Mine hasn't failed recording once since firmware v9 first came out (i.e. no "X" on the icon), but I still get file corruption. Check your video files in the TeslaCam directory. You'll probably find some that are way too small and are not playable (which is obviously very bad if you get into an accident and need them for evidence). Also, you'll probably find fsckxxx.rec files in the root directory, which collect lost clusters of files that haven't been properly written.

Last edited:
I use a 32GB USB3 thumb drive I had laying around. Formatted FAT32/MBR with MacOS and I did the minimum secure erase as part of the format. No issues for over a week and I drive everyday. Possibly the secure erase (writing zeros to the drive) helped. Or maybe it’s just luck.
I bought a Samsung 32GB , already formatted. Added my folder. No issues over the last week.

If the dashcam works for extended periods of time it doesn't necessarily mean that there is no corruption. Mine hasn't failed recording once since firmware v9 first came out (i.e. no "X" on the icon), but I still get file corruption. Check your video files in the TeslaCam directory. You'll probably find some that are way too small and are not playable (which is obviously very bad if you get into an accident and need them for evidence). Also, you'll probably find fsckxxx.rec files in the root directory, which collect lost clusters of files that haven't been properly written.

Valid point, i'll check it later tonight.

Interesting thing about the .rec files is that both our MX and M3 are on the same version of software, but the Model X never created any .rec files. It will still say the USB drive is corrupted when I plug it in to my laptop, just no .rec files.

I have a Sandisk 128GB low-profile USB stick, plugged into a Lenovo 4-spot hub. Partitioned for music and camera, but not using the music part yet. After the first corruption failure, I reformatted the drive and it has been running bug-free for a week now.

I've heard that the files are corrupted if the drive doesn't disconnect properly when the car is shut off. Maybe it takes a few seconds to unload the drive between the time you put the car in P and when it powers down upon exit? I've slowed down my exit from the car a little, and I haven't had any software updates but it seems to be working fine for now. Until the next time I put it into D and see that gray X, anyway!

Reactions: MMBTUS
Although a few have claimed a week of operation, I have only seen one thing that looked like a viable solution to file corruption.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071HMW1KB/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With shutdown protection, this might protect against file corruptions caused by removing power while recording. Mine comes today, but when can we say it works? So far we've only lasted about a day at a time.

Installed Saturday night, still working as of Tuesday afternoon. Tried three different USB flash drives before this SSD and none lasted even a day. Still on 2018.39.7, so no help from new FW yet. Maybe this will last until the FW fix.

I use a 128GB SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0 that I HAD.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HR7FWUC

This is replaced by a newer product called the same but USB 3.1 (could be completely different).

I KNOW USB 3.0 is not needed. I bought 2 of these for cars and put like 70GB of music on them and I don't like waiting to put data ON them which is why I buy the USB 3.0. Better USB drives (3.0 or 2.0) will READ faster over USB 2.0 than cheap ones.

I initially setup just Music on this Stick and TeslaCAM on a seperate stick (forget what kind but was 64GB also USB 3.0 but older) and it corrupted and icon would not keep the red dot.

Once I repartitioned this to ~24GB (I forget exact) for TeslaCam and rest for Music. It has not failed.
This is since the day after the Model 3's got V9 it has not failed.
I used a Mac to format FAT32. I might have used Windows 10 to create partitions, I forget.

I don't do anything special getting in or out of the car. The Icon is consistently showing the red dot.

Good luck.

I upgraded to 42.3 and still see the corruption. My workaround is to have 2 USB drives. I reformat them between trips.
Noticed an interesting "feature": If you turn on the climate control before returning to the car: It turns on the dashcam. So, I guess you can use this as a sort of parking mode dashcam. Don't know if this "feature" was in the previous release.