Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Search is you friend if you want details.

But short version make folder on a USB flash drive called - TeslaCam (has to be exactly this)

Stick the usb drive where the front phone chargers USB plug in is (instead of the phone charger).

You should see a little camera icon in the top left with a red dot.

Works great.

Dashcam is barely usable. Besides these meaningless requirements to have a directory in the root (case sensitive for god's sake); the software also writes a file per minute, instead of creating large files, doesn't use the full drive capacity etc. This is clearly an experimental feature written hopefully by developers different from those who implement self-driving features. Just shame that Tesla would release this small, useful and simple feature with such low quality

• Disagree
Reactions: preilly44
Dashcam is barely usable. Besides these meaningless requirements to have a directory in the root (case sensitive for god's sake); the software also writes a file per minute, instead of creating large files, doesn't use the full drive capacity etc. This is clearly an experimental feature written hopefully by developers different from those who implement self-driving features. Just shame that Tesla would release this small, useful and simple feature with such low quality

Funny. I have been happy with it. I figure IF I need dash cam footage 10min of footage should be more than enough.

The cool(and bad) thing about Tesla is they release things like this to the world a bit early. Then they improve it. Already the TesaCam is way better then the first release.

Reactions: preilly44
@mikestiva once it gets corrupted how do you fix the teslacam partition?

Prior to getting 42.4, I tried to remedy any issues by reformatting the thumbdrive. It takes only a few minutes and it seemed to fix it, BUT only for a day or so.

What ever they did in the 42.4 release fixed the issue for me.

I forgot to mention that it's imperative to use a USB 3.0 thumbdrive (not 2.0)!

My biggest complaint is that the dash cam video quality doesn't seem that good. I would like to be to have higher detail. I can't read the license plate of the car in front of me. Maybe it is just dirt on the windshield though?

Elon already said it’s beta and will improve with future updates and the engineers rallied to have it on V9 due to so many people asking for it.

Personally I’m glad they did, even if it’s not perfect. I’d rather have something than nothing. It can still show who is at fault if someone cuts me off, resulting in an accident I could otherwise be liable for.

If you don’t like it, don’t use it.

I was able to use it today. I purchased a 32gb flash drive. I inserted it in the usb port and it worked just fine. It's not in HD but it's pretty amazing. I'm looking forward to future updates.

Search is you friend if you want details.

But short version make folder on a USB flash drive called - TeslaCam (has to be exactly this)

Stick the usb drive where the front phone chargers USB plug in is (instead of the phone charger).

You should see a little camera icon in the top left with a red dot.

Works great.

Hello Model3forMe

Seems you have it working pretty good for you. I'm not seeing the camera icon on my screen. Does anyone have a screenshot of what it looks like? Does it only come on when you plug the USB drive in? I am using a splitter cable so that I can have both phones charge on a pad. Would that have anything to do with it? Thanks for any help, would love to have this work for me.