Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Data: Miles per KWh SR+ Maryland Winter Parked outside

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Environment: Car Parked outside in driveway in Maryland

I have put in 1,435 KWh and obtained 2,710 miles (knocking off the initial charge at delivery). Works out to be 1.88 miles per KWh. My electric utility charges 16 cents per KWh. Works out to be: 1.88/0.16 = 11.75 miles per dollar, or equivalent to 30.55 miles per gas gallon, at $2.60 per gallon. My Prius gives me (in the same environment) 18.07 miles per dollar, assuming $2.60 per gallon gas.

I’m posting this because yesterday someone asked me whether Tesla M3 saves money. Hopefully, this data is useful to someone. There are too many variables, but EVs are not like 5 times more inexpensive to drive, a myth propagated by someone, someplace in some industry.

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Don't be too hasty to dismiss 5x as cheap. purely dependant on local circumstances and driving habits. I'm averaging < 300 wh/mile so >3 miles / kwh * 0.11/kwh = $ 0.027/mi for ~37 miles/dollar in your terms. @ $3.00/gallon for gas and 30 mpg, thats $ 0.10 /mile @ 50 mpg its still $0.06 /mile twice the tesla.

Yeah. That's winter consumption for sure, and relatively high winter consumption also. It works out to 529 Wh/mi or 330 Wh/km. I average about 220 Wh/km in winter consumption, in a colder climate than you, so either you're an enthusiastic driver (i.e. leadfoot, like me) or are plowing through deep snow (seems unlikely in balmy Maryland), are putting in relatively short trips on a cold battery (seems most likely to me), or something. Definitely high consumption. What model do you have?

I average about 220 Wh/km in winter consumption

He's quoting his wall consumption. Are you quoting your in-car number or the wall consumption? For the in-car number, multiply by about 1.25 (absolute minimum in a mild climate with typical driving patterns) or as much as 1.4-1.5 if you like to preheat, etc. or it's very cold. Just rough estimates of course.

With my free electricity plan at nights... you do the calculation.. the savings are incredible.. 10 times? 1000? no infinity !!
Hmm...The free electricity only during the cover of night plan?

poster_3ca60542aa354893bc77675739697a7e.jpg

Yeah. That's winter consumption for sure, and relatively high winter consumption also. It works out to 529 Wh/mi or 330 Wh/km. I average about 220 Wh/km in winter consumption, in a colder climate than you, so either you're an enthusiastic driver (i.e. leadfoot, like me) or are plowing through deep snow (seems unlikely in balmy Maryland), are putting in relatively short trips on a cold battery (seems most likely to me), or something. Definitely high consumption. What model do you have?

Thanks. Short trips on a cold battery. SR+ While I agree that there are too many variables, my commute is somewhat typical in a high-density urban environment. My driving is more of a norm than an outlier: 6 miles each way to work with significant number of traffic lights along the way. Hopefully, summer data will be better for usage costs.

Seriously? If I'm driving granny style I'm lucky to get 300 Wh/mi in what passes for winter in Seattle. It rarely gets close to freezing here and most of the winter it's in the mid-40s. (M3 AWD)

Whats considered a good Wh/mi?

For an SR+, a good number is below 200Wh/mi. You should get the rated range of ~250 miles if you're around that value (and you drive it in one continuous stretch, of course).

This will result in home energy use of about 250Wh per mile driven if you were able to sustain that efficiency, and you're using decent charging.

For an SR+, a good number is below 200Wh/mi. You should get the rated range of ~250 miles if you're around that value (and you drive it in one continuous stretch, of course).

225Wh/mi works out to the EPA-rated range of 250 miles. I've hit that (and lower) on my 32-mile commute with a mix of crawling traffic and then speeds of ~65-75 when traffic breaks. Moderate climate control usage and 50-60 degree outside temp helps too.

I think a realistic lifetime efficiency of ~250-270Wh/mi is what you want to see.

This is really pretty awful (530Wh (AC) / mi). What charging method do you use? What does your lifetime trip meter read?

Use a level 2 Charger - Juicebox Pro 2. Can’t be a vampire leak there. And I have started driving like a granny of late with inside temperature set to 68. I also park in a sunny spot at work. My feel is that the inefficiency is really mostly about parking on the driveway. Trip meter is 2900 miles. My Juicebox app says I have used 1510 KWh. I have also used supercharging twice putting in about 120 miles cumulative on that. Tesla did a battery check and said all looks good.