Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Daughterboard replaced but now GPS not working?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had the black death screen happen, Tesla replaced a daughterboard which fixed it, but now the GPS isnt working- it keeps me located at the repair shop and doesnt move. Tesla said I need a full MCU replacement. Is it worth it to spend 2k+ more just to get the GPS fixed or is there other issues that could arise? Is there any workaround?

hmm the GPS fix comes from the cellular modem which sits next to the Tegra daughterboard inside the MCU. Its very possible that they just knocked off the GPS antenna wire while in there. I'd push back accusing the service guys of this and see what they say. Others on this forum know much more about this than I and will hopefully weigh in.

Yes GPS antenna is literally right there. And sometimes they will hook it back up to the wrong port. Its ashame about hastiness in which they make "repairs"... always messing something else up while they are at it. This is occurring time and time again with Tesla service. My suggestion is to youtube MCU removal videos and take it apart yourself and check. It does take some minor skill and a lot of confidence, but its really not that bad if you have an hour or two to get it done carefully.

I’ve had the problem since the last update about two weeks ago. Tesla pushed the update again twice for me to reinstall, which worked for a few hours only. I have an appointment to take it on Monday. I had the infotainment system upgraded back in December, so maybe it’s a delayed issue from that. We shall see.