Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dave Metcalf and son Adam break the 400 miles challenge! Incredible...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's fantastic. Next stretch will have to be 450. :)

My "drive-like-an-idiot" meter (a/k/a the energy app) says I won't be able to do 300, much less anything more... :)

I suspect as the car ages lower Wh/m will be easier to do. My Prius has become better every year over the going-on-ten-years that I've had it (in-service Oct 2003). The first year was 50.8 mpg. This year so far is 69.0 mpg.

I suspect that someone who started at a high enough altitude could do it.

Probably if just coasting and no uphill. The regen is not worth it according to JB and that is what I found comparing extra energy for uphill compared to downhill with regen.

450+ is definitely doable with 19s, no rain, fewer bridges, and attention to surface texture (lots of rough road patches on my rural route and this REALLY effected range more than I would have thought. 3+ hours of rain didn't help either...) I also wonder how much further the Tesla firmware will let us go beyond zero. I got 1-2 miles extra plus sitting 45min with reduced A/C, music going and driving it at low speed onto the tow truck and into the garage at home without recharging. Did notice some issues with items starting to not function like air suspension adjustment and power saving on other things in the car. I ended with 80.3 kWh used so theoretically had more juice, but I'm sure the SW won't let you go to zero and harm the batteries. I posted a pic of the big Charge Now text...

The Prius has NiMH batteries. They behave differently as they age.

My thought is that the batteries aren't the cause of the improved mpg that I have experienced. Driver skills, new car break-in, better tires, and additional instrumentation are what I attribute the mpg increase to.

Oh this is fantastic news Dave. Congratulations. Looking at your pics you must have used cruise control right?

Love the right of passage part to the story as well. Look forward to hearing more about your pre-trip research as well!

Oh this is fantastic news Dave. Congratulations. Looking at your pics you must have used cruise control right?

Love the right of passage part to the story as well. Look forward to hearing more about your pre-trip research as well!

Thanks again for posting your findings! This was helpful in my planning. Used cruise control 80% of the time. Route planning was essential. Flat, rural roads...

Think about it. Look at the bare facts.

A guy drives a car for 400 miles. Just how special is that. At 25mph. That is even really really slow and you could qualify this as irrational behaviour. He blogs about this seemingly silly act. But surprisingly people don't get angry. They even cheer him on. From around the world. The owner of the factory that built the car congratulates him.

In an ICE-car this happening would be completely ridiculous.
In a Tesla Model S it shows how ridiculous it really is that none of the existing carmakers have built a 'Model S' earlier. Years and year earlier.
Too late now, dumb fools.

Congratulations to Dave and Tesla from The Netherlands (and Belgium), the EU's Tesla-HotSpot!

Gefeliciteerd!

Rain really effects rolling resistance...

I've read that if you drive slightly off-center, you can counter some of the effects of this, the idea being that there are slight grooves in the road that fill with more rain where people usually drive.

I definitely appreciate the record, and congrats to you, but 25mph in a 70 is really being hazardous to yourself and other drivers (as well as possibly being illegal), and really diminishes the record. I hope you had your hazards on at least.