Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DC Charging a rebuild title Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After a good year or so with my M3P 2020 being able to supercharge, I got hit with the flag this weekend :(

Supercharging disabled 🥲

No idea what triggered it but the only thing I’ve done recently is reset the screen for the first time since I got the car (hold both steering buttons down).

Gutted.

I was luckily able to charge at a different public charger (approx. 44kw speed). I assume that means I can still DC charge but just not at a Tesla Supercharger? Is that right?

Do you mean a CCS1 charger? If so, I saw some reports of getting in the 180-200 kW on a 350 kW charger.
Sorry I’m not too familiar with the different charge port types, but from a quick Google it looks like the other third party charge I used was not CCS1 but CCS2 (so the same cable you find on the Tesla Chargers).

Worth noting I’m based in the UK and the charger I used was Gridserve. It did say up to 150kw though so for some reason I could only get a third of that, but tbh these third party chargers are notoriously inefficient so I don’t think i would have been the only one not able to get the full 150kw.

My next test is to try a Gridserve charger that does up to 350kw around the corner from me, to see how fast I can charge without relying on the SC network.

Just tried charging at a Gridserve 350kw charger. Seems to only be charging at max 44kw, so similar to my previous experience, but I’m unsure whether that might be due to me not preconditioning the battery before arrival 🤔

I guess I’ll have to try again and make sure I precondition the battery before charging it up.

Does anyone know if it’s possible Tesla have capped the speed at which the car will charge, regardless of whether it’s a Supercharger or third party charger?

I assume DC charging is still enabled, because I don’t think you can achieve 44kw speed with DC right?

Surprised there’s no Tesla colleagues here who can help explain how this whole SC disabled stuff works.

Just tried charging at a Gridserve 350kw charger. Seems to only be charging at max 44kw,

I guess I’ll have to try again and make sure I precondition the battery before charging it up.
This exactly what I got when I was not able to precondition because I was half way between two Tesla Superchargers.

Typically, preconditioning starts around 15 miles away from a Tesla supercharger.

Well, that's dismal! Thought I might have some responses by now. Aren't you "Unsupported" car owners interested?
As others mentioned, "unsupported" owners mostly hang out in "Salvage support" tread...
Also, there're multitude of other treads about SC/DC, search is your friend.
Finally, most ppl chose to pay a reasonable sum to other smart ppl who can do gateway magic n re-enable SC/DC/CCS (me included) instead of fighting Tesla...

Another observation, Tesla never officially enabled DC charging on legacy cars (pre-2021) as far as i understand.
I'm not sure how Chademo works but my guess its using SC protocol somehow with limited power?... someone correct me on this..
I know for CCS, u need to install retrofit and ADD a line in gateway for FastCharge allowed.
FYI, pre-2016 S/X are not possible to retrofit with CCS, from my limited research...

Consider yourself lucky, most ppl get cut off a lot faster than a year!

Been off the site since last posting - sorry I did not answer folks on the ChDeMo test. Service Center tech that loaned me the adapter is the one who said it was disabled with any chargers.
BUT... I just went through the process with my 2012 Model S #0007. A couple of months after I bought 007 from my brother in 2018, the unlimited free supercharging for life was disabled. The Service Center told me that mine was a salvage title car and that not only could I not use the supercharging network but they couldn't work on it! A month later, they told me that if it passed the High Voltage Test, $550, then they could work on it, but I could not use the supercharging network. I resigned myself to having a great car for driving around town in. Cut to December 2022 and I'm picking up the car at the service center and I ask if anything ever changed on the salvage title process. I was told that yes, just a few weeks prior. The car had to pass the High Voltage Test and a Supercharging Test. As I had passed the High Voltage Test, just needed the Supercharging test. And was told it was good I had the High Voltage Test back then as it was now $2,200. $125 to $150 for the Supercharging Test. ($153.75 actually) But, when they were doing the test, they had to perform an "Active Louver Upgrade" for it to pass a thermal test: $1,273.06. I now have the unlimited free supercharging back.