Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dead Battery - How to get into Frunk on 2016+ Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I simply removed the lowest metal clip from the tab on each fender liner making it easy to do with fingers alone by pulling the bottom of the liner toward the back of the car and then putting your fingers in the gap between the liner and the fender and pulling the liner toward the back of the car again releasing the next clip up.

Thanks for the info! A year & a half later, I still haven't found an acceptable solution to this--I've just been accepting the risk.

Can you expand on the quoted part, please? I'm not clear on where/how/what it is you removed. What does this metal clip hold, that it has no effect to remove it (aside from allowing easier access)?

I already carry a jump pack like the one you cite. Won't do me much good if I can't get into the frunk, though...! o_O

Since a picture is worth a thousand words here are a couple of pictures. The first shows the LF fender liner pulled back. The liner tab on the top of the picture still has the metal clip installed and the one at the bottom with the shop rag behind it has the metal clip removed. The tab without the clip still fits into the corresponding slot in the bumper cover to keep it located; it just doesn't snap in. The orange t-handle in the middle is the release. The 2 missing clips ( one on the LF liner and one on the RF liner ) have no appreciable effect on the attachment of the fender liner to the bumper cover. In fact I have found and replaced enough clips and fasteners on my car ( which I love ) that even with these 2 clips removed it still has more hardware than on delivery day. The second picture shows the nylon pry tool, the extended reach needle nose pliers the I used to remove the clip, and the clip itself. I hope this helps - I certainly have more peace of mind knowing that I can open the frunk easily and quickly without needing any tools to do it.

Attachments

• 99C469C5-3D60-4F6B-B35B-162DF5FDB108.jpeg
    99C469C5-3D60-4F6B-B35B-162DF5FDB108.jpeg
    232 KB · Views: 99
  • BBA40E7E-835E-478C-A57C-0956EE70A1F4_1_201_a.jpeg
    BBA40E7E-835E-478C-A57C-0956EE70A1F4_1_201_a.jpeg
    769.3 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Jughead135