Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dead Polestar 2 at Enterprise Rent-A-Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was dropping off my ICE rental car last evening when I spotted a Polestar 2 sitting outside of an Enterprise Rent-A-Car office (north of Pittsburgh). Initially, I was really excited to see one in the wild, and I took a couple of pictures. But then I took a closer look. As shown in one of the photos, it appears that this Polestar 2 is dead - the rusted rotors indicate that this thing has been sitting for a LOOOONG time.
As I was standing there "admiring" the car, I struck up a conversation with a truck driver dropping off a couple of vehicles from the back of his car carrier. He pointed out another Polestar on the back of his rig, and he said that the one he had on his truck was going to the "car hospital" for a battery change. He said that he is always carrying Polestars back for repair, as they tend to simply die while on the road. When I told him that I was a Tesla owner, he said that I had the right EV, and to stay away from Polestars.

IMG_1429.jpeg

IMG_1430.jpeg

IMG_1431.jpeg

It's especially hard to judge with an EV because regen might cause the brakes not to be used for a while.
Not really. Calipers still engage when the brake pedal is even lightly applied - even under regen braking conditions. Less force is required, which is why pads last far longer on most EV's. While you can "one pedal" drive to a large extent, especially in a Tesla (I haven't drive a Polestar), it's all but impossible to avoid the brake pedal entirely. I live in a rainy climate and can almost watch my rotors rust in real-time.

Not really. Calipers still engage when the brake pedal is even lightly applied - even under regen braking conditions. Less force is required, which is why pads last far longer on most EV's. While you can "one pedal" drive to a large extent, especially in a Tesla (I haven't drive a Polestar), it's all but impossible to avoid the brake pedal entirely. I live in a rainy climate and can almost watch my rotors rust in real-time.
I havent pressed my brake pedal in the last 1000 miles, only to start the car.

We got our 2021 Polestar and it's been to the shop 2 times while leaving the car stranded and inoperable. The first time we were stuck 300 miles from home for 12 hours on Thanksgiving Sunday. What a nightmare!
Key not detected issues. Polestar finally replaced the TCAM and the car seems ok for now...
My wife is fed up with it.