Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dealers at it Again

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Fairchild

14S,16 X90,18 3,19 XRvn, 21 Y, 14S. 22 YP, 23 3
Mar 27, 2016
Florida
A report from CarsDirect found that Chevrolet dealers taking delivery of the new Chevrolet Blazer EV have been adding their own markups on top of the manufacturer’s suggested retail price.

They found that dealers around the country, including those in Wisconsin and California have added a $10,000 markup on top of the $60,215 MSRP of a middle trim Blazer EV RS.

DOGS!!

e0dd2acd3574679864cd76965aa5dce2.png

ADVERTISEMENT

Dealers STILL at it, ALWAYS at it, EVER at it .. .. .. .. 😖

Confessions (opinions?) of a (former) third generation GM only family member. I no longer have any confidence that they will offer compelling products, although I TRY to keep an open mind. (Charlie Brown?)

I wouldn't have found Tesla (or TMC) back in 2012 if a GM stealership hadn't tried to tack on a $5,000 markup on a Volt . . . a "deal" that I thankfully walked away from. Even though I've told them I'm through with ICE, they STILL send me "offers" in the mail every other month or so.

Tesla's engineer based mindset: Lets make a great product and make as many as possible as soon as possible to turn the tide - "full steam ahead"
Legacy auto's bean-counter based mindset: Lets see how much people are willing to cough up before we contrive something that will fill pockets - "then maybe we'll stick our (greedy) neck out"

- end rant

A report from CarsDirect found that Chevrolet dealers taking delivery of the new Chevrolet Blazer EV have been adding their own markups on top of the manufacturer’s suggested retail price.

They found that dealers around the country, including those in Wisconsin and California have added a $10,000 markup on top of the $60,215 MSRP of a middle trim Blazer EV RS.

DOGS!!

e0dd2acd3574679864cd76965aa5dce2.png

ADVERTISEMENT

In other news... the sky is still blue, and water is still wet.

I survived two hours of getting drilled with protection package racketeering by an entire team of salemen, financial guy, and their supervisor after I negotiated MSRP on my wife's MDX Type S (EV scaredy cat, she will ride with me but loves legacy). They literally threw the keys at me at the end after refusing to eat any of their fodder. Amazing experience, happened last year in an upscale metro Acura dealership but it reminded me more of the behavior of Serbian customs when they robbed me of the $100 I declared passing through on a bus during the Yugoslav Wars.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Earl
I survived two hours of getting drilled with protection package racketeering by an entire team of salemen, financial guy, and their supervisor after I negotiated MSRP on my wife's MDX Type S (EV scaredy cat, she will ride with me but loves legacy). They literally threw the keys at me at the end after refusing to eat any of their fodder. Amazing experience, happened last year in an upscale metro Acura dealership but it reminded me more of the behavior of Serbian customs when they robbed me of the $100 I declared passing through on a bus during the Yugoslav Wars.
As a former Lexus sales person, I know exactly what you went thru. I remember one to many times going late into the evening badgering customers for the last $50 left in his pocket. To the point of claiming that we couldn't find the license you gave us to take the test drive. Money was good, but I couldn't handle the sleaze factor. Things are a little better now, but based on my last legacy purchase 6 months ago (my wife hates electric cars lol), not by much

Dealer network is seriously flawed. And it’s been flawed for decades. Eventually it will change. Disrupters are coming. Tesla for one. And others. It’s a matter of time. Whether years or decades, no clue. But it’s coming.

Sales part of the arrangement is easy. The tough part is service. Between the manufacture-run service centers (such as Tesla’s for example), or the independently owned, specialized, service shops, it will happen.

Dealer network is seriously flawed. And it’s been flawed for decades. Eventually it will change. Disrupters are coming. Tesla for one. And others. It’s a matter of time. Whether years or decades, no clue. But it’s coming.

Sales part of the arrangement is easy. The tough part is service. Between the manufacture-run service centers (such as Tesla’s for example), or the independently owned, specialized, service shops, it will happen.
I have a major problem with salesmen who aren’t even educated on the product they are selling. When I know more about the vehicle than they do they are completely useless to me. Fat pigs get slaughtered.

I have a major problem with salesmen who aren’t even educated on the product they are selling. When I know more about the vehicle than they do they are completely useless to me. Fat pigs get slaughtered.
The vast majority of the car salesmen are purely paid, uneducated, low IQ lazy SOBs (totally no offense to superstar 2% of you). What do you expect.

I have bought 16 cars in my life. All brand new (I buy my wife’s cars too, as she hates the car buying “experience“). Only once I felt the salesman was more knowledgeable on the specifics of the car I was buying. And that was the car #2 very early on

The vast majority of the car salesmen are purely paid, uneducated, low IQ lazy SOBs (totally no offense to superstar 2% of you). What do you expect.

I have bought 16 cars in my life. All brand new (I buy my wife’s cars too, as she hates the car buying “experience“). Only once I felt the salesman was more knowledgeable on the specifics of the car I was buying. And that was the car #2 very early on
If they aren’t providing any value what are they actually there for?

[...]
Except that in the U.S. the auto dealerships, no matter how incompetent and dishonest they are, have the ear of numerous state legislatures which have decided to 'protect' them from better alternatives. Long live competition and free enterprise! :confused:

If they aren’t providing any value what are they actually there for?

To put pressure on customers to have then taking in priority the particular models
who have been on the dealer lot for the longest time and that are difficult to sale,
because of a combination of a particular color and options not been very popular.

Salesperson don't have any interest selling the car you are looking for
but only have interest trying to sell you the cars they want to get ride first.

When a customer mention what they want, a salesman always starts to offer
something else to confuse the customer who after a while don't remember
what he or her wanted and finally accept what the salesperson offer
pretending this will be the best deal this customer will ever get...

Last edited:
How is it that the dealerships are somehow included in so many of the manufacturers state/fed incentives?
I'm all in for a free market capitalistic approach to business. It's their prerogative to charge whatever they can find a buyer to pay.
But it's the manufacturers that are unionized, not the dealerships (I know, they have deals with the manufacturers). If the stealerships can't run their business well enough to survive, that's tough.
Plenty of used car places come and go because of poor biz practices that eventually catch up to them and they lose customers from poor reputation. This is how it should be for all businesses! Just because new car dealerships have a direct link to the manufacturer shouldn't shield them from the consequences of poor business practices. IMO, not even the manufacturers should be shielded.

Warning: Rant alert -
So tired of the Gov bailing out global corps and banks just because they've grown too big to properly function.
"Too big to fail" is BS! They just don't want to change their short-term profitable practices to ones that are more stable long-term, because their stock holders will just replace any exec that doesn't increase their dividends every year. It's pure greed, and it's killing this country (don't Gordon Gekko me). We need to get back to more small businesses getting the majority of consumer's patronage. But the global corps have bought so many politicians that the laws are literally written now to suffocate any small business competitors. It's unamerican! The "American Dream" is dead. Has been since 1971 when fiat started. Ever since then The Have's were able to control the power and money in order to keep the Have-not's down.

All of these problems would be greatly helped, if not completely fixed, by simply fixing the money. Halt the money printing by the Fed, put our economy back on a hard money standard (gold is not the best option, but it's better than nothing. Bitcoin is the best option by far.). Only then will you see all of these money-related issues (they all are) start to improve. Nothing can improve until then. Fiat is on a slow declining death walk to zero. Americans are blind/ignorant to this because most have drank the kool-aid that we're the best and smartest country. What's happening elsewhere all over the world can't happen here. Wake up! It already has.
It's just hidden better and taking longer, but it absolutely is inevitable. Dead Fiat walking!

Anyone mad at dealerships is missing the boat completely.
Dealerships can only charge over MSRP because there are buyers willing to pay that.
It's called free market. And there's nothing wrong with it.
It's so pathetic that our society today can't just accept when they're wrong, or when they don't get what they want. It must be someone else's fault. No it's your fault. Don't complain when you can't afford to pay more for something you want.
It's not the dealership's fault that you don't make more money. It's not their fault that the manufacturers can make a product with high demand and low supply so that those who sell them can offer them at a premium and still sell them.
Stop whining and get to work. Once you put in the work, you get rewarded, and can afford more.
Well that is, unless your raises don't keep up with inflation caused by the Fed printing more money to let the Gov pay their debts.
Oh wait, that's 99.9% of us.
So I guess we should stop complaining here and get to work changing that first.

Reactions: MitchMitch

You should just find an auto broker and buy through them. Take the direct interaction with the sales person out of the equation. You'll get a great deal and a fairly seamless process. There are some great brokers in the tri-state area.