Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

dealing with carseats & white interior?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hello, newbie here. as i wait in anticipation on my delivery (SR+ in Midnight Silver, white interior, just ordered last week! ) i am researching various accessories to get so i keep it in pristine condition. :D i will have have never picked out or owned a 'nice" car before and i have been looking forward to this day since i was 16 (i am 41).

i have an 8yo daughter and 9yo son who i will be picking up from school a few times a week, and my 8yo (who is tiny) definitely needs to be in a booster seat (in our test drive she kept complaining the seatbelt kept choking her, and she couldn't see out the window at all). my 9yo son who is much bigger just uses a backless booster. my question - is it worth getting those carseat protector things that go under the booster seats? or will that make it worse? my concern is the dye from carseat protector will screw up the white interior . plus it may look ugly. i've never used them before, but then again i currently drive a '06 camry with cheap cloth seats which i never paid attention to the effect on the seats. Or, is best thing to just install the boosters each time as they are needed? (so they don't leave indentations?)

also - a side note - i have already told my kids no eating in this car! Ha. Those of you with kids- i am curious if you are actually able to enforce this rule? Hehe Especially with driving around to evening practices/activities with hungry kids etc. my husband has always allowed our kids to eat in the car (he usually drives our Odyssey) and it has gotten soooo trashed. Crumbs, wrappers, etc. It drives be bananas. I'm the OCD one, I guess. I grew up with my dad who never ever allowed food in the car (and we did plenty of road-trips too) but my husband thinks that is ocd/way of the past/impractical (and apparently so do many other parents i know)....

I would also like to know if anyone has experience with seat protection on white interiors.

My wife and I are expecting our first baby any day now, and I’m considering getting a pad to go under the car seat base and up the back. I have an UPPAbaby Mesa seat, and they claim no protector is required since the base is finished and smooth, but it would be nice to have additional protection from accidents etc.

I also have a no eating in the car rule that I’ve enforced in all my previous BMWs (mostly for my niece who is often with us - she’s allowed to eat in her family vehicle, but thankfully respects my rules without a fuss)

Car seat protectors are definitely worthwhile. Protect against stains and also sharp edges on some car seats. Don’t think it’s necessary to prohibit food. Rubber floor mats are vital.

We have three grandchildren who live one mile away - twin boys 9 years old who use a pad or booster, one six year old girl still in full car seat. Also Model 3 (9 months) and Model S (18 months, 25,000 miles), both with white interior and a car seat in back seat.

No stains or damage to the seats. We have no food bans. Have ferried grandchildren with ice cream cones in hand. Or snacks.

My wife babysits two afternoons a week. She picks up granddaughter from school in the 3, drives her to after-school activity, then returns.

I share the S with our daughter’s family. It’s in their hands 4 or 5 days a week. They use it as a family car. One grandson recently got car-sick, didn’t get out quickly enough and vomited on the back seat.

Seats clean easily with a damp microfiber cloth. Warm water with a drop of dish detergent if necessary. Other threads in the forum about specialized products.

Younger daughter’s wedding was end of May, out of town. I detailed the S interior the evening before we drove down so it would make a good impression as we ferried relatives and friends, ran errands. Interior looked good as new.

We believe our cars work for us. We care for them, but they don’t own us. We own them.

Reactions: wtfuzz
I'd love to hear from parents that have white seats and protectors for their seats. We have a 1yr old and a 4 yr old, so we have car seats for both of them. In order to not leave any idents or spills, we decided to purchase protectors. Now the problem is that the protectors are black, and we don't know if they will leave any marks on the white seats, defeating the purpose of purchasing them in the first place.

I just went with a new bright white towel. It's been in there for 10 months and it's been fine. When it gets gross I just bleach it. Spills I'm not really worried about as the seats clean up easy, and I don't leave anything wet stay on the seats.

Dents wise, the towel seems to be doing ok with my son's booster. I take it out and there are a few small dents for a few hours and then they disappear.

Reactions: miimura
I shared concerns about die transfer but definitely still wanted protectors under our two car seats. We don't eat in my car. They eat in my wife's van and it's a disgusting mess. I still think the seat protectors are worthwhile because they form a tray that catches and holds any dirt or liquids that do manage to spill. Case in point, when our older daughter was still in that phase where she'd have accidents sometimes if she fell asleep in the car, the protector tray caught and held probably a cup or more of pee that would have gone straight down through the stitching in the back seat to be forever held in the seat foam. Easy enough clean up afterward. We went with these Brica protectors:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HCOM1UI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have black seats so not fully applicable, but I have 2 Kids (1 and 4) that eat and drink in the car all the time. I have floor mats and so far the car has held up to milk spilling, vomit, yogurt, dirt, and other food. Easily wipes off. I also have brica seat protectors/covers that take a brute of it.

S
I have black seats so not fully applicable, but I have 2 Kids (1 and 4) that eat and drink in the car all the time. I have floor mats and so far the car has held up to milk spilling, vomit, yogurt, dirt, and other food. Easily wipes off. I also have brica seat protectors/covers that take a brute of it.
So the brica protectors don't leave any dye marks on the seats? Did you check after using them for a while?

S

So the brica protectors don't leave any dye marks on the seats? Did you check after using them for a while?

No dye transfer from the Brica's in my experience (roughly 1 year). I've taken them off to clean every few months and always check out the condition of the seats. I haven't had any indentations from the X reinforcement on the bottom either, though you do see that mentioned in some of the Amazon reviews.

hello, newbie here. as i wait in anticipation on my delivery (SR+ in Midnight Silver, white interior, just ordered last week! ) i am researching various accessories to get so i keep it in pristine condition. :D i will have have never picked out or owned a 'nice" car before and i have been looking forward to this day since i was 16 (i am 41).

i have an 8yo daughter and 9yo son who i will be picking up from school a few times a week, and my 8yo (who is tiny) definitely needs to be in a booster seat (in our test drive she kept complaining the seatbelt kept choking her, and she couldn't see out the window at all). my 9yo son who is much bigger just uses a backless booster. my question - is it worth getting those carseat protector things that go under the booster seats? or will that make it worse? my concern is the dye from carseat protector will screw up the white interior . plus it may look ugly. i've never used them before, but then again i currently drive a '06 camry with cheap cloth seats which i never paid attention to the effect on the seats. Or, is best thing to just install the boosters each time as they are needed? (so they don't leave indentations?)

also - a side note - i have already told my kids no eating in this car! Ha. Those of you with kids- i am curious if you are actually able to enforce this rule? Hehe Especially with driving around to evening practices/activities with hungry kids etc. my husband has always allowed our kids to eat in the car (he usually drives our Odyssey) and it has gotten soooo trashed. Crumbs, wrappers, etc. It drives be bananas. I'm the OCD one, I guess. I grew up with my dad who never ever allowed food in the car (and we did plenty of road-trips too) but my husband thinks that is ocd/way of the past/impractical (and apparently so do many other parents i know)....

I have the solution. Let me give you $500 and trade you these black gen2 seats for your white seats? Problem Solved :D

You could also consider one of these.
https://www.amazon.com/mifold-Grab-...t=&hvlocphy=9031194&hvtargid=pla-365069397493
We had them for our kids when they were a similar age and it's a great easy, portable alternative. Rather than lifting the child up to the belt, it pulls the belt down to fit the child. Still good to get some kind of seat protector maybe. The vegan "leather" is pretty easy to clean I find with a damp cloth, less worry than leather. My back seats to get plenty of crumbs and things which I have to vaccum out and clean out from time to time. Also the back of the front seats will get covered in marks from the kids kicking the back.. impossible to stop really, but again a damp cloth fixes it.

I'd love to hear from parents that have white seats and protectors for their seats. We have a 1yr old and a 4 yr old, so we have car seats for both of them. In order to not leave any idents or spills, we decided to purchase protectors. Now the problem is that the protectors are black, and we don't know if they will leave any marks on the white seats, defeating the purpose of purchasing them in the first place.
Our daughter’s family put black protectors under the grandchild seat in both 3 & S. White upholstery in both is fine.