Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Decent insurance in London? Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone managed to get reasonable insurance in London?

My last years insurance was £1545 if paid yearly, and only 6,000 miles.

Please all those with £300 insurance don’t comment 🤣🤣 I don’t want to hate you from the deep of my core 🤣🤣🤣 as this wound is very fresh! 🤣🤣

Never made a claim in my life and have 6-7yrs NCD (I’m just a little under 30 😄 and taken my license late).

Already with DL and looking to receive their renewal docs but they aren’t forthcoming and less than 3wks left now.
Online they weren’t able to give me a quote (this scared me!)
And not able to get them over the phone yet!!

So looking for alternatives… but I kid you not last year on the comparison websites I had several quotes for £4,000-£7,000 and a £20,000 one!!!!

Where do I go for a decent insurance pleaseeeee???

Try adding a responsible driver as a 'Named Driver' (not fronting), could bring your premiums down.
I do it every year, brings my premium down a couple hundred sometimes
It's not illegal and is recommended by Moneysavingexpert.com

Peugeot insurance no longer covers Tesla's but they were cheap last year.
Try the ones which are not on the comparison websites.

Try direct with Admiral. They were the cheapest for me by far a couple of months ago. I think they may have been taken off the comparison sites, though I've not checked recently. Their multi-car policies give a 10% discount too. You can have a multi-car policy with someone else at a different address, so may be an option to take up with an SO or family member.

Try adding a responsible driver as a 'Named Driver' (not fronting), could bring your premiums down.
I do it every year, brings my premium down a couple hundred sometimes
It's not illegal and is recommended by Moneysavingexpert.com

Peugeot insurance no longer covers Tesla's but they were cheap last year.
Try the ones which are not on the comparison websites.
That would be great but unfortunately I don’t have anyone…
No family unfortunately 😕

Try direct with Admiral. They were the cheapest for me by far a couple of months ago. I think they may have been taken off the comparison sites, though I've not checked recently. Their multi-car policies give a 10% discount too. You can have a multi-car policy with someone else at a different address, so may be an option to take up with an SO or family member.
No second car but I’ll try to get a quote and see how it goes!! 🤞

Has anyone managed to get reasonable insurance in London?

My last years insurance was £1545 if paid yearly, and only 6,000 miles.

Please all those with £300 insurance don’t comment 🤣🤣 I don’t want to hate you from the deep of my core 🤣🤣🤣 as this wound is very fresh! 🤣🤣

Never made a claim in my life and have 6-7yrs NCD (I’m just a little under 30 😄 and taken my license late).

Already with DL and looking to receive their renewal docs but they aren’t forthcoming and less than 3wks left now.
Online they weren’t able to give me a quote (this scared me!)
And not able to get them over the phone yet!!

So looking for alternatives… but I kid you not last year on the comparison websites I had several quotes for £4,000-£7,000 and a £20,000 one!!!!

Where do I go for a decent insurance pleaseeeee???
Have you tried Churchill or Direct Line? I am with Churchill.

What would happen if that “friend” or family member got into an accident on a different policy, their own for example, would that then affect me?

You are insured for "current risk". That is good for the year ... I expect you could have as many accidents as you like in that year (if you are planning on doing that check the small print first!)

Then you need to rent-a-new-codger before renewal :)

And no dependants!
Do you have it wrapped like in your profile picture? That'll be adding quite some premium to most insurers for reason that aren't especially obvious.

Things like dependents, partners, other drivers typically bring the prices down, as for some reason insurers are allowed to generalise negative traits based on their perception of your wild lifestyle, and the neighbourhood you live in. Quite how we have this situation in insurance when we have robust anti-discrimination laws is a mystery to me.

Reactions: Blueskye
Do you have it wrapped like in your profile picture? That'll be adding quite some premium to most insurers for reason that aren't especially obvious.

Things like dependents, partners, other drivers typically bring the prices down, as for some reason insurers are allowed to generalise negative traits based on their perception of your wild lifestyle, and the neighbourhood you live in. Quite how we have this situation in insurance when we have robust anti-discrimination laws is a mystery to me.

... oh, another thing is job title. Some people have had reduced quotes by picking a different job title (not by being dishonest) that describes their work e.g. "manager" might be higher than "care manager". I believe that anything related to entertainment and music tends to get hit relatively hard.

No, The car is not wrapped.. the pic is just an awesome Model S I’ve seen online!