Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Decisions, decisions.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m an early reservation holder, east coast, non-owner. My Tesla M3 page shows Feb-April 2018 delivery. Not sure how accurate that is but Troy’s estimator indicates closer to June 2018 delivery. I’d like to solicit some feedback amongst the forum members regarding waiting for a M3 or purchasing a used MS.
My M3 as configured will be approximately 59K. I’m seeing used 2017 Model S 75’s (with very low mileage) for sale at approximately 69K. Granted I won’t be able to take advantage of the $7500 tax credit if I purchase used so the difference between the two right now is $17,500. I’m sure later in the year that difference will decrease with depreciation. Appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

Always a difficult decision to buy new or used.

You usually get more for your money by buying used, but the newer models usually have some improvements and desirable enhancements that often make it worth it to buy new.

The buying experience of buying new is also much different than buying used.

Everybody has a different value proposition.

In my case I purchased a New Model X because of the additional utility of a flat fold down 2nd row seat. I also decided on the less expensive 75 instead of the rip roaring 100 with additional performance and range.

A couple times I wished I had chosen the larger battery to avoid a 2nd stop going from San Francisco to San Diego, however it turned out to not be a significant inconvenience.

Your new model 3 has lots of new features not available in the used Model 3. The difference of $17,500 is significant.

The feedback is that the Model 3 will be an even more popular car that the Model S. Reviews are super positive and people have been waiting a long time for the car.

There is also significant value in being the first on your block to arrive in a Model 3.

Kind of like an iPhone. Used ones are cheaper, but everybody seems to want the new one : >)

I've grappled with this decision on and off for a while, and ultimately I am going to wait for the M3 LR because:

* Cheaper compared to new-ish MS/MX
* Longer range than an S75
* Smaller car
* Newer technology, especially when compared to old-ish MS/MX

With Tesla, a bird in the hand…
When comparing with a 3, I don’t recommend paying ahead for future FSD
If an S is a good fit then get it. Consider size and capacity, as well as cost. Free supercharging still on new (until 1/31). AP1 is fine if you go with used. If 75kWh is ok, then the long range 3 is not for you and you will wait even longer for the smaller battery.

Reactions: thegooch49
I agree with @Gwgan . If you need a car soon-ish, I would personally get a used Model S if the size, battery, features meet your needs. If you can wait, great! But you may be forced to be very patient in your wait. I think it would save you a lot of frustration (compared to waiting for the 3) to buy a used Model S.

you might want to research the lease swapping websites. perhaps there are Ss available with 6-7 months left on their lease. it seems pretty near a sure thing that a 3 delivered by the end of September would still qualify for the tax credit. so, perhaps 6-7 months in a used S, then a new Model 3.