Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Decreased Distance with 28.8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just downloaded 28.2 on Friday........I charged to 100% for the first time in 3,000 miles on Sunday......my wife has driven the car and today I went to Sams and noticed that I was using 299 wh/mi where I have normally with 24.4.4 used 279 wh/mi......I have used 35kWh, 120.4 miles and have 135 miles left.......is this something I should be worried about?

Those with 28.2, have you noticed and change in usage?

thanks

I just downloaded 28.2 on Friday........I charged to 100% for the first time in 3,000 miles on Sunday......my wife has driven the car and today I went to Sams and noticed that I was using 299 wh/mi where I have normally with 24.4.4 used 279 wh/mi......I have used 35kWh, 120.4 miles and have 135 miles left.......is this something I should be worried about?

Those with 28.2, have you noticed and change in usage?

thanks

edit to the above title...Meant 28.2

I've noticed an 80% charge only yields about 247 mile expected range now vs 263 miles before. My driving during the summer lately has gotten more efficient, if anything.
I just finished my charge for today....I went back to 90% and charged until system reached 279 miles....this is the same as before, before updating to 28.2....So I will drive some tomorrow and observe what my wh/mi rate will indicate...anything around 254-279 would be back where it was before update to 28.2.

Only when close to 100%. You gradually get more regen as the charge state goes down until you get full regen at around 92-93% (if I remember correctly).
I think you're right but there's still dots on the regen bar till ~85% in my car, though I've never seen the green regen bar go all the way to the left. Wonder if that's possible!

I have the new software and I have decent range. My 30 mile commute home today was pretty ok.

Attachments

• IMG_1171.jpeg
    IMG_1171.jpeg
    152.3 KB · Views: 86
Only when close to 100%. You gradually get more regen as the charge state goes down until you get full regen at around 92-93% (if I remember correctly).
I was charged to 90% today....drove some distance and when started off, it was ranging showing 976 wh/mi....then it settled down to around 450 and then to ~295......I did see 245 once or twice and then back to 277 at the house......distance was about 25miles driven....I will not be charging to 100% anymore.....I did see the green bar indicating region braking...

I was charged to 90% today....drove some distance and when started off, it was ranging showing 976 wh/mi....then it settled down to around 450 and then to ~295......I did see 245 once or twice and then back to 277 at the house......distance was about 25miles driven....I will not be charging to 100% anymore.....I did see the green bar indicating region braking...
1) Charging to 100% puts the most stress on Lit-ion batteries and you should only do this if NEEDED. If you are worried about the range and keep checking by charging to 100% you are ironically likely causing more/faster degradation.

2) You can't look at your power usage in the first mile or so and gain any usable info. It will ALWAYS be high. Using power to power up the systems/HVAC and moving slowly use a lot of power and is reflected in the first mile or so.

1) Charging to 100% puts the most stress on Lit-ion batteries and you should only do this if NEEDED. If you are worried about the range and keep checking by charging to 100% you are ironically likely causing more/faster degradation.

2) You can't look at your power usage in the first mile or so and gain any usable info. It will ALWAYS be high. Using power to power up the systems/HVAC and moving slowly use a lot of power and is reflected in the first mile or so.
I understand...Fortunately I have only done the 100% charge once.....I won’t do it again.....I will always chagre to 80%- or 90%

I understand...Fortunately I have only done the 100% charge once.....I won’t do it again.....I will always chagre to 80%- or 90%
It's recommended to charge to 100% every once in a while to recalibrate the range estimate and rebalance the battery pack. Maybe 2-3x per year if you wouldn't be doing it anyway for your use case (i.e. road trips, etc.). The increased degradation comes from extended periods of time at very high charge levels. So, whenever you do it try to time it so that you can start driving asap. But, don't be paranoid about it. Every once in a while is not a problem. Just don't do it every day if you can avoid it.

I usually set mine at 70-75% just to be a little extra conservative since I don't usually need the extra range. But anything below 90% should be fine.

It's recommended to charge to 100% every once in a while to recalibrate the range estimate and rebalance the battery pack. Maybe 2-3x per year if you wouldn't be doing it anyway for your use case (i.e. road trips, etc.). The increased degradation comes from extended periods of time at very high charge levels. So, whenever you do it try to time it so that you can start driving asap. But, don't be paranoid about it. Every once in a while is not a problem. Just don't do it every day if you can avoid it.

I usually set mine at 70-75% just to be a little extra conservative since I don't usually need the extra range. But anything below 90% should be fine.
thanks for the information....today I noticed it started off ay 1235, then bu the end of my ride, it was down to 153 and I saw times at 113...so I think I am ok