Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deep scratch and dents next to frunk. Cost to fix?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, while I rented my car on Turo this weekend, a large piece of debris fell (possibly from another car) on my Model 3 as he was driving it on the highway at night.

IMG_20190909_091459.jpg

I already filed a claim with Turo and said I would try to resolve it with the guest if possible. I can still have Turo involved if I can't resolve it within 10 days. I have dash cam footage as well.

Question is: how much do you guys think this would cost to properly fix? Touch up paint is probably not the tool for this job here...

Attachments

• IMG_20190909_091459.jpg
    IMG_20190909_091459.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 213
Depends on the rate your local body shop charges. And the rates can vary a lot in different areas. I had a small dent in my front bumper and it cost $770 to fix. Just take it to a Tesla approved body shop and they can usually get you a estimate quickly.

Reactions: Akikiki
You need to first decide what you can and can’t live with.

If you can live with a pretty good fix, you could get dentless paint repair done for about $200 - $300 dollars.
Then touch up paint for the actual damage to the paint.
Likely fairly good results and fairly cheap.

Mid you’re particular, body shop, and likely about $2000 plus.

So, while I rented my car on Turo this weekend, a large piece of debris fell (possibly from another car) on my Model 3 as he was driving it on the highway at night.

I see two areas of damage:
  1. Deep scratch (though the clear coat) on top of the picture
  2. Dent, without paint damage, at the bottom of the picture
#2 should be fixable by PDR (paintless dent repair) services in your area. Google for one nearby. If the effected panel is aluminum, it will cost a bit more, but overall, should run you ~$100-150.

#1 will require a respray of the panel, if you want to make it look perfect. If you respray that part of the fender, you will need to respray the hood and the bumper to blend in the new paint properly. Expect ~$1000-$1500 quote from a body shop. Maybe 2x that, just because it's a Tesla.

Question is: how much do you guys think this would cost to properly fix? Touch up paint is probably not the tool for this job here...

No, not if you want it to come looking as good as new.
On the other hand, if you are not a perfectionist, maybe just do #2 and cut your looses?

a

Tesla parts and work is very reasonable. Went to Service King after a lady backed into me ever so softly and put a crease in the front bumper paint on my 2016 X. Service King opted to replace my entire front bumper. Super paint job to match flawlessly. I thought it would be about $2000.
The replacement bumper was $423 and the total job, with bumper, sensors and paint was about $670. I was floored. With a $500 deductible the insurance got off cheap.......except for my rental car. Took four weeks to get the bumper.

Highly recommend Service King with special Tesla trained workers.

Reactions: EVGo99