Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deep Sleep

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2021 Model Y (11/1 delivery) goes into a deep sleep when sentry is off and will not wake up remotely from the app. It requires a bluetooth connection or a door handle pull to wake the car up. Is this normal? I'm ok with it i guess just curious coming from an S this was not the case.

My 2021 Model Y (11/1 delivery) goes into a deep sleep when sentry is off and will not wake up remotely from the app. It requires a bluetooth connection or a door handle pull to wake the car up. Is this normal? I'm ok with it i guess just curious coming from an S this was not the case.
No; that is not normal. You should be able to power on the Tesla vehicle using the Tesla phone app (Do you have decent 4G LTE phone signal where the Model Y is parked?)

You could try rebooting, see if that fixes the issue.

No; that is not normal. You should be able to power on the Tesla vehicle using the Tesla phone app (Do you have decent 4G LTE phone signal where the Model Y is parked?)

You could try rebooting, see if that fixes the issue.
yeah ive tried rebooting.. different phones.. i have 5 bars of 5G on a pixel 5 and 4 bars of LTE on an iphone.. doesnt seem to matter.. the car just seems to be off in la la land.. it even happened when i took delivery from tesla.. we had to use the card and reboot the computer for it to show up... i guess it doesnt bother me if it is saving energy

also when i get in the car the LTE is often dead and it takes it a few minutes to reconnect (no reboot)

Last edited:
There you go. It has nothing to do with the LTE signal on your phone. The car also needs an LTE signal to receive the wake up message (i.e. an SMS from a Tesla server).
yeah i guess it goes into such a deep sleep it loses its LTE signal:

found this post here with similar experiance.. i guess its "normal"

I would get after Tesla to fix the LTE problem with your Model Y. It could be a bad modem or a faulty antenna connection.
I have similar frustrations with my 2020 MYLR. It has decent cellular coverage and WiFi in our garage but is very sluggish and sometimes doesn’t wake up at all when I try to use the ap to preheat, etc. also pretty common for the cellular to not work for the first 30 sec/1 min of a drive. Makes my teenagers mad they can’t listen to Spotify right away!!

I’ve come to accept it but maybe I should have it looked at.

Reactions: leenanj and gt2690b
yeah ive tried rebooting.. different phones.. i have 5 bars of 5G on a pixel 5 and 4 bars of LTE on an iphone.. doesnt seem to matter.. the car just seems to be off in la la land.. it even happened when i took delivery from tesla.. we had to use the card and reboot the computer for it to show up... i guess it doesnt bother me if it is saving energy

also when i get in the car the LTE is often dead and it takes it a few minutes to reconnect (no reboot)
I have exactly the same issue with my M3 (delivered 30 dec 2021). I have reported the issue to Tesla, hopefully they will fix it when they fix other issues with the car on monday (31st jan.)

Interesting please keep us posted I've decided it's normal.. better to deep sleep than not sleep at all
No good news. Shop said it was a known issue for any cars newer than 2017 (or something. Was related to new type of screen etc.) The manager said he had exactly the same problem with his model X, and ended with «we’ll just have to hope they come up with a fix for the software».

• Informative
Reactions: gt2690b
No good news. Shop said it was a known issue for any cars newer than 2017 (or something. Was related to new type of screen etc.) The manager said he had exactly the same problem with his model X, and ended with «we’ll just have to hope they come up with a fix for the software».
It's not that big a deal really keeps the phantom drain low

I've found the manual lock unlock from the app wakes it up if I'm in Bluetooth range which I typically am even at work

A pull in the door handle wakes it up if you're trying to let someone else in from far away

Also leave sentry mode on if you want it to stay awake easy peezy