Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model Y Remote connectivity issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This happened once before and is happening again on my new model Y, I am unable to connect to my Tesla remotely through the app to access controls and live view. Both my phone and vehicle are connected to cellular. I tried on different devices as well both connected on wifi or cellular. Anyone else experiencing the same or know a fix.

Edit: Seems like the car doesn’t want to wake up after going into deep sleep no matter how long I wait on the app.

Last edited:
If the car’s in a deep sleep it can take a minute or two to wake when you’re just using the app. Should wake up pretty much instantly if you unlock or go open the door.
Yeha it does work again if I approach the car and then leave. But I’ve been waiting on the app for over 5 minutes before posting this and it refuses to connect.

It’s a tricky balance that I think Tesla have adjusted both ways over the years. If the car is awake most of the time, people complain about “phantom battery drain”, if it’s asleep a lot we hear the stuff you’re saying. I don’t find it an issue personally, in fact I find it works well. I suspect Tesla is now pretty smart about it - maybe even learns your routines, checks proximity etc to decide when to be more and less awake. Always seems to connect quickly when charging too, which would make sense if reducing phantom drain is a goal of sleep.

What exactly are you connecting to the car for? Is it a bit of a “new thing” and you’re checking for the novelty? It could be that doesn’t sync well with it predicting when to snooze - for example if you’ve come home, locked the car and left it, it’s probably not a bad guess that it can go into a deep sleep.

If you really need to connect, try unlocking it (works even if it’s still connecting especially if in BT range), that usually wakes it up.

Reactions: Esan na
It’s a tricky balance that I think Tesla have adjusted both ways over the years. If the car is awake most of the time, people complain about “phantom battery drain”, if it’s asleep a lot we hear the stuff you’re saying. I don’t find it an issue personally, in fact I find it works well. I suspect Tesla is now pretty smart about it - maybe even learns your routines, checks proximity etc to decide when to be more and less awake. Always seems to connect quickly when charging too, which would make sense if reducing phantom drain is a goal of sleep.

What exactly are you connecting to the car for? Is it a bit of a “new thing” and you’re checking for the novelty? It could be that doesn’t sync well with it predicting when to snooze - for example if you’ve come home, locked the car and left it, it’s probably not a bad guess that it can go into a deep sleep.

If you really need to connect, try unlocking it (works even if it’s still connecting especially if in BT range), that usually wakes it up.
Hmm that’s interesting thanks for the info. I mainly wanted to check on the car while I’m at work and view the live camera, you know how it is with the new car feeling tryna take care of it and what not. I will give it a few weeks and see if it improves. But I did find that when I tried to unlock it while it’s connecting it showed some error that the unlock failed

Attachments

• IMG_2929.jpeg
    IMG_2929.jpeg
    60.5 KB · Views: 102
Bear in mind the intelligence side of it is just me speculating. But it wouldn’t surprise me if Tesla is smart about the “when to sleep” logic. For example my car is with my son at his soccer practice (not work or home) for the last two hours. It’s instantly available in the app and I can view the cameras. I’m pretty sure if it was sitting at home it wouldn’t be. Also a factor is sentry - it’s not on at home.

The "wake up" message is an SMS if I am not mistaken. It's possible that it doesn't make it to the car and it never wakes up. Happens to me sometimes. If the app doesn't show the car awake after ~10sec I kill the mobile app and start it again. This seems to send another request to wake up and normally works for me.
I've seen people rebooting the car to help these issues. You can try that too, never hurts.

You seem to be reading a lot more into the car's operation than exists.

Unless you have something running, like sentry, the car will and should go asleep.
By asleep, that doesn't mean that the car isn't doing anything, it's just that the power hungry CPUs are effectively shutdown. I suspect that oter microcontroller type computers are still alive and listening. But they tend to use milliamps, not the amps that the big ones do.

The car isn't learning your routine. It doesn't need to. It's the microcontrollers that are listening for Bluetooth, Cellular, and the CardKey. Again, these are usually small and cheap and one controller can handle all the needs.

You seem to be reading a lot more into the car's operation than exists.

Unless you have something running, like sentry, the car will and should go asleep.
Maybe, maybe not. But for example when charging at home or SC, I can connect to the car instantly and it doesn't deep sleep. I've owned since 2018 and definitely noticed changes in behaviour - for example the car often goes into a deep sleep when we get home and plugin, and it also is usually awake if I'm near it in the garage, without unlocking. Just examples, and just speculation, but I don't think it's quite as dumb/black and white as you think.

Maybe, maybe not. But for example when charging at home or SC, I can connect to the car instantly and it doesn't deep sleep. I've owned since 2018 and definitely noticed changes in behaviour - for example the car often goes into a deep sleep when we get home and plugin, and it also is usually awake if I'm near it in the garage, without unlocking. Just examples, and just speculation, but I don't think it's quite as dumb/black and white as you think.
How do you know that the car is awake?

Do you realize that simply walking up to a sleeping car will wake it? From a number of feet away, Bluetooth proximity is detected, and the car starts up through the stages of sleep.

Sure, when the car is charging, it's awake.
Yes, the sleep behavior has changed since 2018, that's just Tesla learning how to better manage the vehicle, not the vehicle learning you.

I've just started having issues out of no where as well. All has been well for the past 5 weeks or so.

Tues I noticed when I exited the car it didn't auto lock. I was able to lock via the app and it was fine for the rest of the night since then through another drive cycle.

This morning I tried to unlock the charge port with my phone app as I normally would and the car didn't respond. Until a few seconds after I opened the door to put my bag in the back seat. Weird but OK.

Sat in the car and it picked my driver's profile but asked for a key to drive. In the past my phone has worked as the key with NFC. Not today. I also noticed my phone wasn't connected via bluetooth. Manually connected just fine from the car. Car still wouldn't let me drive. Force rebooted car and phone. Still the same. Went in the house to get my key card.

Came back to the car and it let me into the car and drive without needing my key card. Weird... but OK. I put my keycard in my wallet... just in case.

Got to work and the car didn't auto lock again. Phone was on wifi. Tried to lock from the app, no response. Went back to the car, opened the door, walked away again. Still no auto lock. Took the phone off wifi and onto cellular and was then able to vent & close windows and lock the car. But live camera views are not working.

Something's gone screwy. The question is what....

I'm here to provide information and to help stop the spread of incorrect information.

Yes, the app waking the car up quickly is an example of the car being awake. The door unlocking isn't. Depending on how you approach the car, the car can easily unlock and wake before you realize that it was asleep. That probably is a design requirement.

This happened once before and is happening again on my new model Y, I am unable to connect to my Tesla remotely through the app to access controls and live view. Both my phone and vehicle are connected to cellular. I tried on different devices as well both connected on wifi or cellular. Anyone else experiencing the same or know a fix.

Edit: Seems like the car doesn’t want to wake up after going into deep sleep no matter how long I wait on the app.
This may be related to a software release. One of my cars has decided to not want to wake up lately.

I have had an unusual app connectivity issues over my 3500 mile round trip we just completed.
On numerous occasions, while supercharging and me taking a walk to do "my business" I could not connect at all ( for example to active AC so that the car does not heat up)
Screen stuck on on connecting