Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Degradation of battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi
I have recently bought a pre-owned

Tesla X 75D 2016-2018 ( 2017 registration)

I charge up to 90%.

On 210 miles on the screen, It drove only 138 miles.
This is 35% degradation of battery
It is cold in UK ( Temperature - 1 to6 deg centigrade)

Is this normal??

Di

Hi

I charge up to 90%.

Is this normal??

Di

To calculate your battery degradation, you park your car (and not driving) and charge it to 100% setting (not lower, like 90%). You then read the range at 100% when the charge completed.

You should do it at a comfortable ambient temperature that people don't need to wear a sweater due to cold or take off their shirts due to heat.

Once you start driving, there are many factors that affect your range. You just need to take note so you would know how much range your car can do in the same route with same temperature, wind, HVAC, elevation, and especially speed.

Upvote 0
Hi

I charge up to 90%.

Is this normal??

Di

Hi. Congrats on your Model X.

What you’re describing is not battery degradation. It’s increased energy consumption due to cold weather.

The 210 miles at 90% is the rated range. In order to get rated range, your driving has to match that of the test procedure of the EPA or whatever your country’s governing body is. This is usually very slow driving in ideal weather conditions - warm, no head wind, no rain.

In winter, a 30 to 40% drop in efficiency is to be expected, particularly if you like using a lot of cabin heat, which is electric and consumes quite a bit of battery power.

Upvote 0