Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible 35% battery degradation after 57k miles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That depends on what was in the service request. If it was about battery degradation, I would expect nothing less.

The service request needs to be about identifying the cause of the excessive consumption.
Oh, right. I was thinking how we had steered the conversation from degradation over to the strange consumption as the problem in this forum thread. The service request may have been before that point.

With default settings and my 75D car, ABRP estimates 37 minutes and 13% battery usage for the home -> office trip and 38 minutes (16%) on the way back. The avg time is very close (unknown / 37 min today) but battery usage is way off (19% / 24%).
Avg energy / mile on the way back 408 Wh/ mi.
BTW Tesla reached out to me by email, same useless answer: "Preliminary checks show your battery in good health. Advertised range is based on regulating agency certification (EPA) and is not adapted based on driving pattern. The displayed range on all Tesla models is calculated by gathering information from previous drive cycles". The last statement is actually incorrect.
As I ask pointed questions and I provide numbers I expect clear answers.

"As our remote diagnosis has shown no issue with your battery, we have closed your concern. If this context and/or resources have not addressed your concern, please respond with additional details within three business days to re-open your case. "
Replying to the email is not working by design ("This email address is no longer monitored."), how can I respond?

Charged the car to 100%, yesterday's average: 414 Wh / mile over 65 miles - this is ridiculous

It is high …. But so is my wife’s consumption in her X.

Any cabin preconditioning? And what temp is the climate control set to?

My wife uses “face melt mode” as I call it — HVAC temp set to “Hi”. Seat heaters always on. Wheel heater always on. And preconditions the cabin to 80 degrees.

Sadly, not joking. She’s always cold.

When she does this, consumption is extraordinarily high- 400wh/mi is common.

So maybe suggest monitoring the HVAC temps and such a little. Try Auto mode at 72 for a drive and see if that changes anything?

Only other thing I can think of - what wheels and especially tires are on the car?

One last thought …. Are you using regenerative braking, or driving like a traditional ICE car? My wife does that too - turns down regen and uses the brakes like a normal-ish car.

OK, final edit: have you tried Range Mode? Any difference?

AC on, headlights on, music on.... ridiculous that with a car that advertises 256 miles you cannot do 130 and we have to charge daily. We also have an e-golf (38kWh version) with 40k+ on the odometer that pretty much does 100 miles daily (111 advertised) with a few miles left at the end of the day. Also AC and headlights on.

Its possible if your consumption is high.

I believe based on real world tests under ideal conditions (80 mph, DLR on, concrete level road, no wind, no climate) you should consume exactly 3 miles per KwH in a 85D. (333 wh/mi)

I did this for over a 100 miles both ways in NB last summer in my '15 85D.

In 5 k miles road trip, went 130-150 miles between charges, never below 20%, never above 93%.

I could have gone longer but rarely did because charging over 77% rarely makes sense time wise.

If you consumption is way higher than that, could be you have other factors consuming power such as alignment, tires, brakes, or high resistance in the pack.

SMT is useful to see exactly how much power each consumer is using.

Under the conditions shown above, driving power is about 26kw, pumps and other 12v systems maybe 500 watts at most.

You know the 4kw buffer is used for the range calculation, right? So you can't count on that. A 85 pack in fair condition only has 70 KwH from 0 -100%.

That's 35KwH from 25-75%, about 105 miles at 80mph. So I don't think your experience is that far off.

OK, final edit: have you tried Range Mode? Any difference?

My experience is range mode is of minimal benefit, maybe 2%, unless you are using climate, in which case range mode will limit climate consumption.

I convinced my wife that the new model S has a better climate, which it does. So now both me and the passenger princess are happy for a change.

Reactions: dmurphy
My experience is range mode is of minimal benefit, maybe 2%, unless you are using climate, in which case range mode will limit climate consumption.

I convinced my wife that the new model S has a better climate, which it does. So now both me and the passenger princess are happy for a change.

I agree completely, but wanted to see if the hvac limitations would kick in — really not sure what else would be a high-amperage draw besides the traction motors.

I’d consider a new X for my wife but the other downsides are too great. No adjustable regen, no stalks, (until recently, the yoke) and losing free supercharging makes it a non-starter.

She hates driving my S. I added an S3xy buttons module so she can adjust regen, and the yoke should be swapped out for a wheel soonish (waiting for firmware …) — leaving only the haptic buttons as the big downgrade. Really silly of Tesla to break something that’s been functional for 100 years.

They will.

You will see a message, "climate reduced" or words to that effect.

It's been 8 months since I sold my 85D. If I had to do it again I would have kept it.

By kick in, I meant as in “make a difference in consumption” for the OP.

For me - I just bought a ‘21 S LR in February. Almost wish I bought a ‘20 S LR+. Almost.

Agreed. Having radar in a '20 would be nice, but if you go to SvC, they will remove it.

But, to misquote Bogart, "We will always have USS"

😁
Well, on the radar, Tesla does not remove it but they will disconnect it if in for service. The radar consumes a small amount of power (10W or so) but is not being used. Smart of Tesla to do this for free. Lots of misinformation out there.

Well, on the radar, Tesla does not remove it but they will disconnect it if in for service. The radar consumes a small amount of power (10W or so) but is not being used. Smart of Tesla to do this for free. Lots of misinformation out there.

True, but removing it or disconnecting and disabling it through software has the same effect. They are not doing it for our benefit IMO.