Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 Bricked After EMMC replacement?

tccartier

Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2015
AZ.
When was the work done? Do you know for a fact the board was replaced with the new 64gb chip, not just an old 8gb one?

Why have you not made a warranty claim on the work done? That should get you to the front of the line

If your car is in good shape, maybe just go MCU2.

If you think your car is depreciating now, just wait until you get a replacement!

Just a note there are apparently two different series or builds of MCU1 really old cars such as mine (a 2012) VIN number 162 Signature had an emmc failure but the 64 GB daughter board replacement could not be done because my MCU1 was original. My only option was to replace the original daughter board with another 8 GB unit or replace the entire MCU with the upgrade which I did not want because I didn't want to lose my radios AM / FM and XM.

There is a path forward to maintain your radios with the current upgrade but that didn't exist at the time so I opted to repair my existing MCU and upgrade to LTE since I was still running 3G at the time. We'll see how that works out.

LuckyLuke

Model S P90DL
Dec 14, 2011
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
@sadmcu Sorry for the late reply, just stumbled on this thread by accident. I have done hundreds of Tegra repairs/replacements, and I know from experience that these so called FPGA errors can sometimes occur when the Tegra module is not seated correctly in its socket. This might or might not be the case in your car but maybe it is worth checking this out before replacing the entire MCU.
If it indeed is then it will be solved when you remove the Tegra module, clean its contact points with some IPA and insert the module back in the MCU.

sadmcu

Mar 18, 2021
Lake Tahoe
@sadmcu Sorry for the late reply, just stumbled on this thread by accident. I have done hundreds of Tegra repairs/replacements, and I know from experience that these so called FPGA errors can sometimes occur when the Tegra module is not seated correctly in its socket. This might or might not be the case in your car but maybe it is worth checking this out before replacing the entire MCU.
If it indeed is then it will be solved when you remove the Tegra module, clean its contact points with some IPA and insert the module back in the MCU.
They replaced it with a new Terra and it’s working perfectly now. I’m glad I didn’t pay for a replacement and stuck to my guns about this being Tesla’s responsibility . Now I just need to figure out how to fix the glue leaking on my front screen. Any suggestions?

aerodyne

Nov 19, 2018
Los Angeles
They replaced it with a new Terra and it’s working perfectly now. I’m glad I didn’t pay for a replacement and stuck to my guns about this being Tesla’s responsibility . Now I just need to figure out how to fix the glue leaking on my front screen. Any suggestions?
There are several threads here about DYI repair, but it is kinda messy. Basically involves removing the plastic film and adhesive from the IC.

Might be easier to replace with a used unit.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC