Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

delaying Model Y delivery due to COVID

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All - curious if any of you are in the same boat but, we have a black/black AWD Model Y being built now. We've received the text messages that our car will be available in a week or so. I don't anticipate being able to fully enjoy our car for a couple of reasons: 1) we dont plan to take any meaningful road trips due to COVID, 2) i dont plan to go to the office for 1-2 more months, potentially longer if the second wave picks up.

I am wondering if any of you have or are thinking about punting your delivery for the same reasons PLUS giving the company some time to work through their quality issues (i.e. i would like to give them time to come up with the heat pump cover to address noise). I'd prefer not to have to make a car payment for something that is just sitting in the garage (as much as i really would like to have it)

Do any of you know how long tesla lets you delay delivery?

Thanks and sorry if this has been asked but not sure if has has been discussed recently after the factory reopened.

Not sure how long or if they let you delay delivery, my guess is no. Probably have to cancel then order again, at the very best they put you at the end of the queue, its not like you can just reserve a car for some future date. That said, it just comes down to, do you need a car right now or not. It sounds like you don't. For some people their lease was up and they needed something. For others they might own a car already and have no urgent need. If you don't need it right now I would just cancel and let someone else have your spot who does need it.

You are able to delay your delivery. They wont sit there and hold your car in a lot until you are ready to pick up, but they will remove your VIN and let you keep your current order until you are ready to take delivery (at which point you can get a new VIN assigned).

• Informative
Reactions: Electric Steve
I cancelled my order about a month ago. Primarily because I can do more with my Model Y money in the stock market at the moment, but now additionally to allow Tesla time to figure out their production issues. I don't intend on re-ordering until Q1/Q2 2021 at this point.

Part of the impetus for me on getting the car as soon as possible was all the rebates still available in CA (wanted to make sure and get the car before the funding runs out). But I've already made ~3x that amount trading this manic market recovery so .. I don't care about that anymore either.

My wife told me not to cancel and to just keep deferring the order. But I don't care it Tesla gets an extra $100 from me. I fully support what they're doing and maybe they will use the $100 from my cancelled order to actually QC a car or two. :mad:

• Funny
Reactions: qdeathstar
I cancelled my order about a month ago. Primarily because I can do more with my Model Y money in the stock market at the moment, but now additionally to allow Tesla time to figure out their production issues. I don't intend on re-ordering until Q1/Q2 2021 at this point.

Part of the impetus for me on getting the car as soon as possible was all the rebates still available in CA (wanted to make sure and get the car before the funding runs out). But I've already made ~3x that amount trading this manic market recovery so .. I don't care about that anymore either.

My wife told me not to cancel and to just keep deferring the order. But I don't care it Tesla gets an extra $100 from me. I fully support what they're doing and maybe they will use the $100 from my cancelled order to actually QC a car or two. :mad:
What rebates do you know of that are available in CA? I only know about CVRP but I'm not eligible for that.

Not sure how long or if they let you delay delivery, my guess is no. Probably have to cancel then order again, at the very best they put you at the end of the queue, its not like you can just reserve a car for some future date. That said, it just comes down to, do you need a car right now or not. It sounds like you don't. For some people their lease was up and they needed something. For others they might own a car already and have no urgent need. If you don't need it right now I would just cancel and let someone else have your spot who does need it.

I got a text message that my MY was built and being shipped to my delivery center. Then I got a text to schedule my delivery. Only had one date. I called my DA and told him that I could not go to the Delivery center on that day. Told me he could not delay the delivery any date. So he said I had to cancel that VIN and they would assign another. Slightly disappointed, but I really didn't want the car this month.

I'm in the same boat as you...no immediate need for the car and don't expect to need it until the end of the year at the earliest. Luckily for me I don't have to make a decision right now since I'm a LR RWD reservation holder currently sitting in limbo. :D

I figure by the time Tesla gets their act together and starts making the LR RWD (or telling RWD reservation holders what our options are), it will be the end of 2020 and I might be ready to take delivery.

I’ve been delaying since first got a notice in April and struggling with this question. Don’t really need as I’m not driving much but my current car is 10 year old and starting to go down hill so don’t want to have to spend money to upkeep car I’m going to get rid of. Ordered last year so getting tired of waiting and will probably go ahead in July. Figure it’s going to take some time in the garage learning the user interface and getting things like usb drive, Floor matts etc so can get this done while waiting for things to open up.

Maybe take delivery, even though these are changing times.

For many, a new car will be just what they need to get them out of being locked in their houses and just take a fantastic drive to an interesting place near where they live.

I have been going up into the mountains and for rides on the twisties. No more driving to and from work gives me time to explore my nearby mentally beneficial places. We take picnic lunches, and just make a mental health run for it.

Right now our Teslas are the greatest vehicles to get out into the fresh air, see some natural beauty and explore our nearby places that we somehow never had the time to visit before.

Taking a plane, train, bus, subway, Uber, or any other public transportation is out of the question, but inside our protective EVs we can continue to explore and expand our horizons.

Do any of you know how long tesla lets you delay delivery?

I asked my delivery advisor the same question (for similar reasons) and was told I could delay up to six months.

I'm considering canceling outright, as I've decided to go in a different direction, but may keep my order deferred/delayed as a "plan B" until my new "plan A" is definite, which will be about 4 or 5 months from now.

Due to covid I delayed my MY (April). I had received the text it was on it's way and had a delivery date with VIN. Tesla were fabulous - I have to say. They were totally fine with it - they said they would simply reassign the VIN to someone else. I delayed until JAN/FEB2021. They will honor the price provided I do not change the configuration.

They're being cool about it.

Attachments

• CleanShot 2020-06-16 at 08.49.46@2x.png
    CleanShot 2020-06-16 at [email protected]
    349.6 KB · Views: 97