Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery process - diary and opinions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HI All!

Just received my MS signature today, wanna share some info. to you guys.
-Water inside the brake light (The Tesla staff said they know the issue already and they are finding the way to fix it...)
-after I parked my car, I saw the rain water inside the charger port... will report to Tesla tmr...)
DSC_0025.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

00266.jpg

HI All!

Just received my MS signature today, wanna share some info. to you guys.
-Water inside the brake light (The Tesla staff said they know the issue already and they are finding the way to fix it...)
Congrats on your delivery. Tesla has a way to fix this.. that is, to replace it. I had it done in Nov 2012 couple weeks after I took delivery of my P85. I guess what they (Tesla) means is they have to get their technician trained to do it.

D+8

Just a short note on Autotoll. I filled in the online forms (I already have an account with them for the other cars), and uploaded the vehicle registration document, last Friday, and received the new tag in the post two working days later (Tuesday). Very helpful, as I had a cross-harbour trip planned for Wednesday.

Five minutes before I had to leave, while the family were putting on their shoes, I did the installation:

Popped the nosecone (really simple, just follow the instructions on this forum by opening the frunk and pushing down on the top of the nosecone - the area around the frunk release catch - it looks harder than it is). I didn't remove the whole thing - just freed up the top part, so that I could access it. Stuck the autotoll tag on the top right side, just like it would be if it was against the windscreen, and making sure it wouldn't obstruct the nosecone going back on. Then, simply pushed the nosecone back in place. Total time perhaps 3 minutes - longer than it took three kids to put on 6 shoes.

Drove through both Tsuen Kwan O and Eastern Tunnels, both ways, without issue. Green lights all the way.

Along the trip, I got some stats for energy usage up-and-down Magazine Gap Road to the peak. Its pretty brutal, and I'll post the picture later.

The Peak Galleria car park is roomy, and has some great spaces for parking the wide Model S. But, take care - the sharp narrow turn at the exit is truly terrifying.

D+8

Just a short note on Autotoll. I filled in the online forms (I already have an account with them for the other cars), and uploaded the vehicle registration document, last Friday, and received the new tag in the post two working days later (Tuesday). Very helpful, as I had a cross-harbour trip planned for Wednesday.

Five minutes before I had to leave, while the family were putting on their shoes, I did the installation:

Popped the nosecone (really simple, just follow the instructions on this forum by opening the frunk and pushing down on the top of the nosecone - the area around the frunk release catch - it looks harder than it is). I didn't remove the whole thing - just freed up the top part, so that I could access it. Stuck the autotoll tag on the top right side, just like it would be if it was against the windscreen, and making sure it wouldn't obstruct the nosecone going back on. Then, simply pushed the nosecone back in place. Total time perhaps 3 minutes - longer than it took three kids to put on 6 shoes.

Drove through both Tsuen Kwan O and Eastern Tunnels, both ways, without issue. Green lights all the way.

Along the trip, I got some stats for energy usage up-and-down Magazine Gap Road to the peak. Its pretty brutal, and I'll post the picture later.

The Peak Galleria car park is roomy, and has some great spaces for parking the wide Model S. But, take care - the sharp narrow turn at the exit is truly terrifying.

But there is no better route than the Magazine Gap Road, right?

D+8

Yeah, I scratched my previous car's rim by the gate's curb when I was leaving the Peak's parking (the car was couple-day old). I think Hung Lung Properties' car parks are poorly designed (The Peak, Kornhill Plaza, Park-in in Mong Kok).

I went to Kornhill twice with my Model S, this parking is huge but the ramp's design ia so bad that I can't go to the next floor without backing up once.

Yeah, I scratched my previous car's rim by the gate's curb when I was leaving the Peak's parking (the car was couple-day old). I think Hung Lung Properties' car parks are poorly designed (The Peak, Kornhill Plaza, Park-in in Mong Kok).

I went to Kornhill twice with my Model S, this parking is huge but the ramp's design ia so bad that I can't go to the next floor without backing up once.

Agree with Kornhill, it's spiral entrance is a killer!!! Probably Model S unfriendly too!

None more fun (or terrifying).

Markwj: for a kick, do try also Studds Rd just before the round-about in front of Adventist Hospital, and Repulse Bay Rd between South Bay and Stanley… I get very sweaty palms even when driving a Mini. I followed a Ghibli flying through this stretch recently (it’s 1cm narrower than the MS), so guess the MS should do just fine!?

Am curious what’s the energy consumption heading up to the Peak? How much does this impact on the range? If the law of physic / potential energy applies, you presumably gain some (guess not all) mileage back on the way down? My ICE car trip computer’s Distance to Empty Fuel Tank does have different readouts on the way up and down…

8 hours after picking up my car and 2 drives later, some surprises:

- also grabbing air a lot for the gear stick that's not there
- never thought I would like the grandpa style gear shift, but it works brilliantly
- regen is not as intrusive as I thought in standard mode, but haven't mastered the one paddle driving skill yet
- zen style design interior is really cool, but can't wait for the CC for additional storage...
- narrow South Side road causes sweaty palms but focus on the road and drive within speed limit should do just fine
- in-gear acceleration is incredible, or acceleration from any speed for that matter, it's effortless pulling or gliding away at the light and stop start... Time and distance do bend!
- front / standard seat is quite supportive despite other comments and holds you well in a turn
- ambient lighting reminds a theatre setting and why it doesn't change color like in disco?

Also some other surprises:
- given the size of the car, for both front and back doors, the door opening is quite narrow. Definitely no problem getting in and out but not in a stately wide opening
- fit and finishing is someway from equivalent Merc or Bimmer, forgivable in HK as it's a half price / tax free car
- back seat is comfy but the seat bench could be deeper given the size of the car

All in all, the car redefines the meaning of generational gap... was surprised not by how I got use to driving the MS within 30min but how I need to get re-use to my other ICE car after one drive in the MS!

8 hours after picking up my car and 2 drives later, some surprises:

- also grabbing air a lot for the gear stick that's not there
- never thought I would like the grandpa style gear shift, but it works brilliantly
- regen is not as intrusive as I thought in standard mode, but haven't mastered the one paddle driving skill yet
- zen style design interior is really cool, but can't wait for the CC for additional storage...
- narrow South Side road causes sweaty palms but focus on the road and drive within speed limit should do just fine
- in-gear acceleration is incredible, or acceleration from any speed for that matter, it's effortless pulling or gliding away at the light and stop start... Time and distance do bend!
- front / standard seat is quite supportive despite other comments and holds you well in a turn
- ambient lighting reminds a theatre setting and why it doesn't change color like in disco?

Also some other surprises:
- given the size of the car, for both front and back doors, the door opening is quite narrow. Definitely no problem getting in and out but not in a stately wide opening
- fit and finishing is someway from equivalent Merc or Bimmer, forgivable in HK as it's a half price / tax free car
- back seat is comfy but the seat bench could be deeper given the size of the car

All in all, the car redefines the meaning of generational gap... was surprised not by how I got use to driving the MS within 30min but how I need to get re-use to my other ICE car after one drive in the MS!

Great update Captain Kong! Want to hear more of your sweaty-palms experience. I'm not a frequent driver, so will definitely need more advice with the Model S.

also, your "Time and distance do bend" is great! Seems like Model S has proven the existence of spacetime. Maybe it's due to the weight of the car cos larger the mass, the more spacetime it bends.

Yep, that's why I'm getting the Warp Drive option....

Yeah, ion-reactor warp drive is standard, as there is an ion-iser air-con from the reactor...

- - - Updated - - -

Great update Captain Kong! Want to hear more of your sweaty-palms experience. I'm not a frequent driver, so will definitely need more advice with the Model S.

also, your "Time and distance do bend" is great! Seems like Model S has proven the existence of spacetime. Maybe it's due to the weight of the car cos larger the mass, the more spacetime it bends.

For navigating narrow roads (am still getting use to MS' size...), I aimed my driver's direct line of sight about half of a meter to 1 meter away from the center line, and adjust slightly left if I've to, and dropped to around 35-40km/h when there is a big bus / truck heading the other way. The power bulge or crease on the bonnet give you a good direction and sense where the bumper is / width of the car. I also checked the 2 side rear mirrors regularly to get a rough reference how far you're from the curb and the center dividing line. Drove around Repulse Bay and Mid-levels, ok so far as long as you're mindful it's a big and wide car.

Think as if you're driving the queen in her Bentley and you should be just fine on narrow one way lane...

- I started with 388km of range at delivery and 106km later, the distant to empty is 210km, so the Tesla grin isn't so kind on the power consumption (avg 290kw/h so far...)
- Pana roof's heat shield is pretty good, and the air-con isn't freezer style, but the cabin temperature is very comfortably maintained
- The car feels very light, but it's an illusion produced by its power, so recomm turning on regen (as all this mass travelling at speed is a lot of kinetic energy), will be wasting a lot of power and brake pad if no regen
- Hi fi speakers are pretty good, not quite B&O or NAM, but comparable to Bose speakers (though am not an audiophile). Internet radios / Tunein are awesome
- Am still getting use to the touch screen, hope they've hot keys config in the future as a new feature so you can program a few of mostly used features at one touch away. Multiple layers of manu could be distracting
- They can work on the acoustic profile of the doors, so they produce a satisfying thunk sound when closing

Here's the photo of energy usage driving up and down the peak. At the time, I thought it was brutal. But, then I saw the plot of my wife having fun around Clearwater Bay today. I guess everything is relative.

View attachment 57078

Actually, that was me zipping in and out of traffic from CWB to Ho Man Tin and back again. Getting used to (and LOVING) the MS uber quick acceleration. The tricky bit would be finding yourself on the road with other zippy-minded MS drivers.

I've finally managed to drive my MS last week (Husband was only too wiling to go back to his Roadster). While the MS is really fun and amazing to drive, I've found that it is not what I think of as an ideal family car.

I have three kids - 10, 7 and 5. The 7yr old finds the doors quite challenging to open, so school drop offs have been a bit stressful (school insists that children be able to exit cars unassisted). I so hate being the one in the queue that's holding everyone else up. In a way, I'm glad HK did not get approved for the rear facing child seats in the trunk. This would make my school drop off even more of a production.

The real problem is with my 5 year old who still has to use a car booster/safety seat. It's a Group 2 and 3 car seat which means it comes with an adjustable headrest. Trying to get the car seat through the door was harder than I thought it would be. Leave yourself plenty of space to manoeuvre - and I do mean, having enough space to open the door completely. But even then, the door space is actually quite narrow!

The buckles for the rear seat belts are flush with the seat - this can be quite tricky for even the average size adults! With a car seat, buckling in becomes quite a problem. Our car seat, because of its bulk, does sit on top the buckle. I've had to push the car seat (with my son sitting on it) out of the way in order to get the belt latched, then push the car seat (and my son) back into position. My son hates this bit and so do I. Once, my 7yr old helped me insert the belt into the buckle. I drove off and a minute later the rear seat belt alarm went off. My daughter had inserted it into the wrong buckle. I found this very surprising as such a thing will never happen on my Nissan - each seat belt can only latch with the designated buckle. I stopped the car while she made the correction. Now, why didn't the indicator go off almost immediately? As in, the second the car was in motion. I haven't decided if it's worth the expense of getting a seat belt extender. For now, I solve this problem and hassle by using my Nissan Presage instead! A note of caution - I don't recommend using the car booster seat without the head rest (the ones with the bottom seat only) in the MS because, as we discovered, the belt strap will go over the child's throat.

If you do have children in your MS, please find out if any or all of them are in any way susceptible to car sickness or getting sick and vomiting when they've had too much ice-cream. Please learn from our mistake. ALWAYS keep a "Vomit Kit" in the car at all times ie. large ziplock bags or even a bucket (I wish we had one at the time!). If such unfortunate incident should happen at night (as it did for us), please be aware that the lighting in the car is horribly inadequate for the cleaning task. You will need someone to shine a powerful torch for you. I would like to emphasise "powerful" because yes, vomit in your Model S will make you cleaning-frantic on a level you never thought possible. Have plenty, PLENTY of wet wipes on hand!

The "new car stink" bothers me a lot. I'm quiet sensitive to smell and being in the MS has given me headaches every time. I found some charcoal odour absorber in the supermarket and bought one 500g bag and two 250g ones. The 500g is in the trunk and the two smaller one go in the front in various places. The improvement is significant so I highly recommend them! You can find them in most supermarkets (with the dehumidifier packets in the household section) or any household stores.

I've finally managed to drive my MS last week (Husband was only too wiling to go back to his Roadster). While the MS is really fun and amazing to drive, I've found that it is not what I think of as an ideal family car.

I have three kids - 10, 7 and 5. The 7yr old finds the doors quite challenging to open, so school drop offs have been a bit stressful (school insists that children be able to exit cars unassisted). I so hate being the one in the queue that's holding everyone else up. In a way, I'm glad HK did not get approved for the rear facing child seats in the trunk. This would make my school drop off even more of a production.

The real problem is with my 5 year old who still has to use a car booster/safety seat. It's a Group 2 and 3 car seat which means it comes with an adjustable headrest. Trying to get the car seat through the door was harder than I thought it would be. Leave yourself plenty of space to manoeuvre - and I do mean, having enough space to open the door completely. But even then, the door space is actually quite narrow!

The buckles for the rear seat belts are flush with the seat - this can be quite tricky for even the average size adults! With a car seat, buckling in becomes quite a problem. Our car seat, because of its bulk, does sit on top the buckle. I've had to push the car seat (with my son sitting on it) out of the way in order to get the belt latched, then push the car seat (and my son) back into position. My son hates this bit and so do I. Once, my 7yr old helped me insert the belt into the buckle. I drove off and a minute later the rear seat belt alarm went off. My daughter had inserted it into the wrong buckle. I found this very surprising as such a thing will never happen on my Nissan - each seat belt can only latch with the designated buckle. I stopped the car while she made the correction. Now, why didn't the indicator go off almost immediately? As in, the second the car was in motion. I haven't decided if it's worth the expense of getting a seat belt extender. For now, I solve this problem and hassle by using my Nissan Presage instead! A note of caution - I don't recommend using the car booster seat without the head rest (the ones with the bottom seat only) in the MS because, as we discovered, the belt strap will go over the child's throat.

If you do have children in your MS, please find out if any or all of them are in any way susceptible to car sickness or getting sick and vomiting when they've had too much ice-cream. Please learn from our mistake. ALWAYS keep a "Vomit Kit" in the car at all times ie. large ziplock bags or even a bucket (I wish we had one at the time!). If such unfortunate incident should happen at night (as it did for us), please be aware that the lighting in the car is horribly inadequate for the cleaning task. You will need someone to shine a powerful torch for you. I would like to emphasise "powerful" because yes, vomit in your Model S will make you cleaning-frantic on a level you never thought possible. Have plenty, PLENTY of wet wipes on hand!

The "new car stink" bothers me a lot. I'm quiet sensitive to smell and being in the MS has given me headaches every time. I found some charcoal odour absorber in the supermarket and bought one 500g bag and two 250g ones. The 500g is in the trunk and the two smaller one go in the front in various places. The improvement is significant so I highly recommend them! You can find them in most supermarkets (with the dehumidifier packets in the household section) or any household stores.

Wow, thanks for your comment from a different point of view!
I got a car seat with ISO-Fix, does it help in this case? I can imagine how messy it is in real operation.
Can't imagine if my kid thrown up in my car after having ice-cream............