Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery process - diary and opinions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model S was delivered on last Monday, but the vehicle registration doc was not yet ready; The car had to stay at the carpark. It was a bittersweet feeling that I finally got my Model S, yet I cannot drive it on road!

The reg doc was finally ready on last Friday, my DS said he will come to give me the doc in evening. So I expected that he should come at 6-8pm, yet, it turned out that he was lost in the New Territories when he was delivering the reg doc to another owner. He finally made it to my estate before midnight. Although it was a bit late, but I do appreciate very much his effort to deliver doc in time. I felt a bit guilty that, may be, I have pushed him too hard. Sorry about that!

Once the license plate was put up, I couldn't to drive it out. It is really really incredible! I think most, if not all, members here should feel the same once they drive their long waited Model S.

However, there are 3 issues so far with my Model S:

1. There is no air coming out from the back/2nd row vent.
2. The left side mirror, sometime, does not restore to its original position after reverse.
3. There is a tiny scratch at the back on the front passenger seat.

Nevertheless, I love my Model S!:-D

My Model S was delivered on last Monday, but the vehicle registration doc was not yet ready; The car had to stay at the carpark. It was a bittersweet feeling that I finally got my Model S, yet I cannot drive it on road!

The reg doc was finally ready on last Friday, my DS said he will come to give me the doc in evening. So I expected that he should come at 6-8pm, yet, it turned out that he was lost in the New Territories when he was delivering the reg doc to another owner. He finally made it to my estate before midnight. Although it was a bit late, but I do appreciate very much his effort to deliver doc in time. I felt a bit guilty that, may be, I have pushed him too hard. Sorry about that!

Once the license plate was put up, I couldn't to drive it out. It is really really incredible! I think most, if not all, members here should feel the same once they drive their long waited Model S.

However, there are 3 issues so far with my Model S:

1. There is no air coming out from the back/2nd row vent.
2. The left side mirror, sometime, does not restore to its original position after reverse.
3. There is a tiny scratch at the back on the front passenger seat.

Nevertheless, I love my Model S!:-D

On 2) Yes, the same thing about the left hand side mirror not being able to reset from the reverse / dipped position happened in my car too. I think this is a bug in the car’s OS.

My paperwork finalising (payment $$$) is currently scheduled for Friday 8th August, with vehicle delivery scheduled for Wednesday 13th August. I'm gonna use this thread to document the process I am going through, and share what I learn.

For registration number, I checked a couple of online sites (www.xx118.com.hk and www.92299222.com) but all the EV-prefix number are gone (surprise, surprise). I got EV915 for HK$6,000 four years ago. Nothing else they have interests me (not even the XX 168 number for HK$1.68million!). I guess this time I'll just get a standard registration and worry about it later.

I'll need to sort out Autotoll, but can't do that until I have the registration documents. Similar for HKEV. Both are pretty quick and I hardly ever use my HKEV dongle for my Roadster anyway (why can't they just use Octopus like everyone else). I guess I can skip on the application for Caltex Fuel card :wink:

My home charging station is all done and ready. I was part of the early test program for the wall connector so it has been up on the wall for a couple of months already and Tesla have brought cars round twice to test it.

Tesla App (US store) is installed and ready on my iPhone.

The book has been purchased, and will arrive tomorrow.

I still need to order an iPhone mount from proclip (I get all my mounts from them). They take about a week, so I'll need to get that done asap.

My car paperwork should be pretty simple. A standard 85kWh car with black paintwork, and no custom registration. For Friday, I'm told I'll need:

• HKID
  • Proof of address (within 3 months)
  • Insurance cover note (coverage starting on day of payment, not delivery)
  • Payment

For insurance, I'm using Liberty. I have two cars currently with them - a Tesla Roadster ($$$) and a Nissan piece-of-crap-drives-like-a-boat ($), both under comprehensive 60% NCB. Two options for insurance - plead for a copy of the 60% NCB to the new car (up to the insurance company whether they'll do that, depending on history with you) or transfer the 60% NCB from the Nissan to the Model S and re-insure the Nissan as 0% NCB. Arranging this with Liberty was simple and painless, and I now have in hand the insurance cover note (30 days from 8th August 2014). The cover note doesn't mention vehicle license plate number (as I don't have it), but just uses the VIN from my delivery dashboard as the chassis number. Payment needs to be made after I have the registration document from the transport department.

Proof of address is a hassle (transport department want originals, but everything nowadays is electronic), but doable.

Only issue is the money. I don't have a final invoice, so am just estimating as the amount Tesla shows on the confirmation paperwork, less HK$17k early reservation protection from price-hike, less HK$39,000 deposit. I'll write the cheque at the time, when they give me the final amount due. It is gonna be a shockingly big cheque - not as bad as the roadster, but still more than my first house.

So, today is P-5 and D-10 - the countdown starts.

Hi Markwj, I was wondering which proclip did you get? The one that hangs from the bottom rail of the screen? How do you like it? Is it stable? Wondering if that would damage the rail? Thinking of getting one for my iPhone 6+ so wanted to make sure it works well before spending the ~$100. That seems to be the only one that would not force a wire across the center of the screen or console which is a bit ugly and annoying. I don't like the ones that clip onto the AC so it's the proclip one or a suction cup type which is quite ugly. Please let me know. Thanks.

There are two proclip mounts available. One clips around the vent up high. The other clips under the screen down low. I currently use the up high one - I use iPhone for navigation (waze) and that is much more visible up there.

I do have a down low one as well, that I don't currently use (if you want it you can have it). If you want to meet up to have a look at them, I am around Sai Kung area.

There are two proclip mounts available. One clips around the vent up high. The other clips under the screen down low. I currently use the up high one - I use iPhone for navigation (waze) and that is much more visible up there.

I do have a down low one as well, that I don't currently use (if you want it you can have it). If you want to meet up to have a look at them, I am around Sai Kung area.

Sure. I'd love to check it out. I'll PM you. Probably won't get out to SK until next weekend if that's OK.

D+365

One year on, and here's an update.

Insurance renewal was a breeze (via the friendly folks at Liberty). Yearly vehicle license was more of a hassle (as cost is based on vehicle weight) and worked out at HK$1,029 for 12 months on my S85. Fantastic deal considering an equivalent BMW/Merc would be HK$5k-HK$10k a year. No expressway permit required.

Tesla picked up the car, did the yearly service, and dropped it back. Cost was $0, presumably because Tesla HK haven't worked out how much to charge yet (yay!).

The car itself has been pretty much flawless for the year. Other than the touch screen display issue in the first two weeks, nothing else major failed. I did get a 17" display rebooting issue, but we think that was related to a firmware bug with a large USB drive I was using for music. Tesla updated the firmware, and the problem went away.

Over the year, the car got a bunch of new features. In particular, we got Navigation, but the web browser was taken away. Thanks, Mr Transport Department.

Last edited:
Great update, and I'm just at the beginning. Absolutely loving the car and quickly adjusting to my new reality of more frequent less $ refuelling. Gathering up parking coupons from Sino & The Link - please advise if there are others - and debating long term skincare arrangements (car not me!). But the biggest "open item" is home (& office) charging. I've hit a brick wall and hope I can knock it through before the SC network becomes overloaded (Olympic always good at night, KT empty in the am - that can't last).

Looking forward to meeting everyone soon.

Hello Mark,

Thanks for the great work in keeping the EV parking offers updated. We gradually see more EV on the street. My 70d is now being built by factory and hopefully not too long. The usage of SC is now increasing followed by the increase in number of Tesla. I start to wonder whether the charging facilities will keep up with the growth of EV.

In government carparks, there are monthly parking tickets. I would wonder whether the EV should be given the priority to buy the monthly tickets. Bearing in mind, I notice that most of the EV parking spaces in the government car parks are not highly utilized and parked by ICE instead.