Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery process - diary and opinions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One more thing to remember is to buy the 10A German made mobile connector which plugs into the usual sockets (most malls only have this for the time being). The included charging cable don't have any adapters. Costs $3,700, and they can only accept cash/cheque at this moment.

In my case, I am not sure it is worth it. 10A @220V is 2.2kW - or less than HK$3 per hour of electricity. Justifying this on free charging would mean payback at over 1,200 hours of shopping mall charging. Perhaps 3 hours at a time is 400 trips to the mall, or about 6 or 7 years for me. Just not worth it. If you can charge at the office, or at home, I wouldn't bother with 10A 220V.

By comparison, 32A 220V single phase is 7kW (three times better), and the cable for that is included. Better to choose places with 32A, or supercharge (135kW).

P+3 and D-2

A couple of little housekeeping things.

1] Wall Connector

I got a US-style wall connector cable organiser in the post a while ago, and finally got around to the 3 minute job of drilling the two mounting holes and screwing it onto the wall.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402048385.364658.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400662381.174890.jpg

It looks neat, and cable wraps around it nicely. The issue, of course, is that our Type 2 connector plugs don't fit properly, so the car-end plug just dangles down. I am told that Tesla are working on a European style Type 2 version and I have requested that at least the mounting holes be kept the same (and hopefully the mounting bracket itself as well, so it is just a snap-in replacement). Last I heard was 'later this summer', but that was a while ago - I'll ask again at delivery, and get it added to the outstanding list if not yet ready. Anyway, for the moment it is definitely better than nothing.

2] Garage width

This is a wide car. A little re-organisation was necessary to clear the garage walls so the car could fit!

D-2

Delivery is now 2 days away. Other than what was originally promised, based on signature deliveries and what is now up the website, I'm expecting: (a) a parcel shelf, (b) a Type 2 Mennekes mobile charging cable, and (c) a browser on the 17" screen. The only controversial one is the browser, so it will be interesting to see how that works out.

If anyone has any questions they want me to ask, please let me know.

P+3 and D-2

A couple of little housekeeping things.

1] Wall Connector

I got a US-style wall connector cable organiser in the post a while ago, and finally got around to the 3 minute job of drilling the two mounting holes and screwing it onto the wall.

It looks neat, and cable wraps around it nicely. The issue, of course, is that our Type 2 connector plugs don't fit properly, so the car-end plug just dangles down. I am told that Tesla are working on a European style Type 2 version and I have requested that at least the mounting holes be kept the same (and hopefully the mounting bracket itself as well, so it is just a snap-in replacement). Last I heard was 'later this summer', but that was a while ago - I'll ask again at delivery, and get it added to the outstanding list if not yet ready. Anyway, for the moment it is definitely better than nothing.

2] Garage width

This is a wide car. A little re-organisation was necessary to clear the garage walls so the car could fit!

D-2

Delivery is now 2 days away. Other than what was originally promised, based on signature deliveries and what is now up the website, I'm expecting: (a) a parcel shelf, (b) a Type 2 Mennekes mobile charging cable, and (c) a browser on the 17" screen. The only controversial one is the browser, so it will be interesting to see how that works out.

If anyone has any questions they want me to ask, please let me know.

Mark, when you take delivery, make sure all chrome trims are aligned nicely. When I get my car, I saw the chrome trim near the end of my car (left rear passenger window) has alignment problems (it doesn't 100% stick to the car's body) and a guy from Tesla service noticed the problem and they have written down the problem on a piece of document "Delivery Declaration and Due Bill". They said will fix this for me later. Also, one of my rear passengers' seat belt is broken since Saturday, the buckle doesn't hold the belt.

They said would email me the document but I never receive it. However, I found it in the My Document after I login to My Tesla (weird...)

Mark, when you take delivery, make sure all chrome trims are aligned nicely. When I get my car, I saw the chrome trim near the end of my car (left rear passenger window) has alignment problems (it doesn't 100% stick to the car's body) and a guy from Tesla service noticed the problem and they have written down the problem on a piece of document "Delivery Declaration and Due Bill". They said will fix this for me later. Also, one of my rear passengers' seat belt is broken since Saturday, the buckle doesn't hold the belt.

I had this problem on my P85 too. I didn't notice it until several weeks after the delivery. Tesla Motors gave me a loaner MS and fix it within a few days (I had more than just mis-align, such as moisture trapped inside the headlights).

In my case, I am not sure it is worth it. 10A @220V is 2.2kW - or less than HK$3 per hour of electricity. Justifying this on free charging would mean payback at over 1,200 hours of shopping mall charging. Perhaps 3 hours at a time is 400 trips to the mall, or about 6 or 7 years for me. Just not worth it. If you can charge at the office, or at home, I wouldn't bother with 10A 220V.

By comparison, 32A 220V single phase is 7kW (three times better), and the cable for that is included. Better to choose places with 32A, or supercharge (135kW).

Yeah I see your point... perhaps I view it more as a token to park at a much more convenient spot LOL

They said would email me the document but I never receive it. However, I found it in the My Document after I login to My Tesla (weird...)

Could you please take a photo or two to show us?

Some of my cars the dealer offered loaners, Crown Motors gave me the excuse they couldn't do it because of insurance reasons.

Except for Crown Motors, the other dealers have picked up or delivered the car to my home or we met at convenient places like shopping centers, star ferry parking lot, mtr stations and once even the airport. I am hoping that Tesla HK has the super service we have heard about elsewhere.

The car ownership experience is more than the product itself. We also buy the dealership and the after sales service for an entire ownership experience. For Tesla to expand sales meaningfully beyond the early adopters and enthusiasts, they will have to make owning a Tesla the easiest and most enjoyable car experience available.

P+4 and D-1

D-1 and the lack of excitement is worrying. Maybe too much else is going on in my life at the moment. Either that or I've just been waiting so damn long for this car that apathy is setting in. That said, I had to drive my wife's 7 seater Nissan (we nickname it "the boat" due to its road-handling characteristics) for an airport run yesterday, and that was not an enjoyable experience (given that the roadster is my daily driver).

I have been reminiscing about the delivery of my roadster 3 1/2 years ago. Back then, Tesla Hong Kong's showroom was a parking lot, the pre-delivery paperwork was signed on my living room table, and final delivery was back on the red carpet at Hopewell. The staff were Jessie (back office and marketing), Kenneth (sales), Dustin + Caleb (service), and Kevin Yu heading up Asia. Custom build delivery wait was around 2-to-3 months.

The Hong Kong operation today is very very different, and that is a good thing. When Tesla opened up here 4 years ago, we were all worried about long-term commitment and survivability. Today we see the new TML operation, crazy staffing expansion, and superchargers going in - quite a commitment. More importantly, we're starting to see the cars on the road. There are more Model S on the roads here today (less than a month after deliveries began) than Roadsters (more than four years after deliveries began). By the end of this year, Tesla will have doubled the number of EVs in Hong Kong. Given the more than 500,000 private cars on the roads here in Hong Kong, 1,000 EVs won't make a dent on the levels of pollution. But they may just make a dent in people's perception of what an EV is and what it can do, and bring us closer to the tipping point of widespread adoption.

And that is what it is all about. Enough cars to make people think that perhaps an EV could work for them. Enough cars that government will get serious about charging infrastructure. Enough cars that the pressure will come to bear on owners committees and management corporations. Enough cars that the community will start to think about Solar, Wind, and other forms of renewable energy.

Enough cars that we can hand over a planet to our kids in better shape than our parents to us.

Last edited:
Well said, Mark, amen!

There are now one more future owner in our community, so double the pressure on getting chargers. I thought about making an "information campaign" about the Model S. If TM would give me a pack of flyers, I would seriously consider delivering them to all users and residents around me.

And for sure, I will be a Tesla advocate, and have already been in many ways. So far, I just don't have a car to show, only information about test drives and delivery expectancies.

As more of us gets these cars, I hope we can set up events at major work places, shopping malls and more. We discussed this before, the main issue being insurance and so on - if we do test drives with strangers on board.

Next up is wind turbines and solar panels for Hong Kong. Despite pollution and clouds, there are lots of sunshine year round, and in the right locations, plenty of wind as well. The main obstacle seems to be laws, red tape and tycoons involved in fossil fuels.

P+4 and D-1

And that is what it is all about. Enough cars to make people think that perhaps an EV could work for them. Enough cars that government will get serious about charging infrastructure. Enough cars that the pressure will come to bear on owners committees and management corporations. Enough cars that the community will start to think about Solar, Wind, and other forms of renewable energy.

Enough cars that we can hand over a planet to our kids in better shape than our parents to us.

This is great Mark! Can't agree more!!!

Hi Mark,

Congratulations on the delivery of your car, finally - I am sure you are excited!

I also want to extend a deep thank you, for all you have done for the EV community in Hong Kong.

Please keep fighting, over time, more people will join forces to support and promote EVs in Hong Kong. We need first movers and enthusiastic and capable people like yourself, to lead the way.

Enjoy your car, Mark!