Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Quality Review:

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But the paint was more uniform I’m sure!
Lol

the Escalade was a dressed up truck. Body on frame so the ride and handling will never be as smooth or buttoned down as a properly engineered unibody. Trucks and SUVs provided US car makers with great profits, that’s for sure. I’ve driven plenty of American full sized SUVs and they all suck in the ride and handling. You can’t mask the truck bones (lipstick on a pig?)

I’ve said in other posts I can accept some uneven panel gaps and I’m confident Tesla would clean up the grease smudges or replace the broken pieces. It’s the uneven or mismatched paint I will refuse to accept. I want something I’ll enjoy looking at and not make me cringe every time I approach it.

But the paint was more uniform I’m sure!
Lol

the Escalade was a dressed up truck. Body on frame so the ride and handling will never be as smooth or buttoned down as a properly engineered unibody. Trucks and SUVs provided US car makers with great profits, that’s for sure. I’ve driven plenty of American full sized SUVs and they all suck in the ride and handling. You can’t mask the truck bones (lipstick on a pig?)

I’ve said in other posts I can accept some uneven panel gaps and I’m confident Tesla would clean up the grease smudges or replace the broken pieces. It’s the uneven or mismatched paint I will refuse to accept. I want something I’ll enjoy looking at and not make me cringe every time I approach it.
What I described wasn't normal for a truck in your spare time please check it out not your experiences.
These issues were making people sick.
But that said Tesla has to do better.
I am picking up my Y Saturday hopefully its excellent
A bit optimistic here

Cool story, bro
Here’s the story “bro.” I walked my happy self onto the local Tesla lot, looked over their inventory of Model Ys, selected the one I liked and bought it. Now I drive it (or, rather, it drives me) all the time. I don’t polish it with a diaper. I don’t clean it with Qtips. I don’t measure the panel gaps with a micrometer. I put the vehicle into service and expect to get 150,000+ miles of travel, hauling and daily slogging out of it, period. As long as everything works, it could be as ugly as a mud fence, though I do think it is rather fetching...

Here’s the story “bro.” I walked my happy self onto the local Tesla lot, looked over their inventory of Model Ys, selected the one I liked and bought it. Now I drive it (or, rather, it drives me) all the time. I don’t polish it with a diaper. I don’t clean it with Qtips. I don’t measure the panel gaps with a micrometer. I put the vehicle into service and expect to get 150,000+ miles of travel, hauling and daily slogging out of it, period. As long as everything works, it could be as ugly as a mud fence, though I do think it is rather fetching...
Went to a local Tesla “lot” and went through their “inventory” of Model Y’s?

Mmmmmmkay.

Hey guys, on July 7th I returned mine (7 days window) due to panel gaps, etc. It was MY AWD Pearl White Exterior, Black Interior. I was hoping that QC will improve and in few more weeks, I will reorder.

So I went today to the delivery center (Austin, TX) to see what's up. Well, good news for white MY's - seems the hatch is finally aligned properly (as far as possible, not even close to what BMW or any other serious brand will do, but acceptable). BTW, all VIN's > 25xxxx.

There were several MY whites - all of them were ok, they fixed the charging port alignment, hatch, and doors. They did not fix the rear lights (seems that is just how they are - nothing can be done about this, and SC will say it is in spec).

Now the bad news - all the problems I had with my MY I saw with ... Red ones. Just all of them - it seems like they changed the production lines, and now let Red suffer. I just can not get it.

Here is the hatch alignment with Red MY VIN 28xxx: IMG_20200725_163315.jpg

Reactions: dinkoh
Hey guys, on July 7th I returned mine (7 days window) due to panel gaps, etc. It was MY AWD Pearl White Exterior, Black Interior. I was hoping that QC will improve and in few more weeks, I will reorder.

So I went today to the delivery center (Austin, TX) to see what's up. Well, good news for white MY's - seems the hatch is finally aligned properly (as far as possible, not even close to what BMW or any other serious brand will do, but acceptable). BTW, all VIN's > 25xxxx.

There were several MY whites - all of them were ok, they fixed the charging port alignment, hatch, and doors. They did not fix the rear lights (seems that is just how they are - nothing can be done about this, and SC will say it is in spec).

Now the bad news - all the problems I had with my MY I saw with ... Red ones. Just all of them - it seems like they changed the production lines, and now let Red suffer. I just can not get it.

Here is the hatch alignment with Red MY VIN 28xxx:View attachment 568978

Reactions: Impaler
Shap, it's the paint that is most concerning with the white MYs.

There have been plenty with mismatched doors and even the ones that apparently have matching paint, some have splotchy spots which are thin spots showing the e-coat beneath. Did you happen to take any pics of the white ones?

Shap, it's the paint that is most concerning with the white MYs.

There have been plenty with mismatched doors and even the ones that apparently have matching paint, some have splotchy spots which are thin spots showing the e-coat beneath. Did you happen to take any pics of the white ones?

I saw the examples as well, but mine was fine, at least I did not see any color problem. Bottom line - if you order MY just close your eyes on these issues, you will have a great car with panel gaps, paint issues, etc but really great technology and drive dynamics. We just need to stop calling this car 'luxury' - as it is not by any standards.

We really need a strong competition, and it will come in 1-2 years. Then Tesla will need to take QC under control.

I saw the examples as well, but mine was fine, at least I did not see any color problem. Bottom line - if you order MY just close your eyes on these issues, you will have a great car with panel gaps, paint issues, etc but really great technology and drive dynamics. We just need to stop calling this car 'luxury' - as it is not by any standards.

We really need a strong competition, and it will come in 1-2 years. Then Tesla will need to take QC under control.

Competition is further behind than 1-2 years. Constant claims of non-existent cars and trucks with one delay or project cancellation after another.

• Disagree
Reactions: BlindPass
Competition is further behind than 1-2 years. Constant claims of non-existent cars and trucks with one delay or project cancellation after another.
Right, but this is changing. Mach-E and Ariya, Audi , Volvo and others will release their cars this/next year. So competition is coming. Yes, they will not be 120 mpge but 106mpge - still ok. Autopilot functionality exist in any new good car . FSD is not so important to me as we are far away from level 4 and level 5. I like Tesla and want to see them focusing on car quality as well. Tesla does not care what I think, but competition will force them. And that are the good news ;)

I looked at seven Y’s at the Wexford PA store this am (5-MSM & 2-white. All LR AWD). The MSM vehicles looked good. One had a tailgate alignment issue (build date 6/30), but didn’t notice any issues on the others, tailgate, charge port, doors, & paint all looked pretty good (build dates 7/13-7/14). The two white ones weren’t bad. It still looks like there’s something going on with the pearl paint on the doors. The rear bumpers did match the body better than others I’ve seen. One had shipping damage where the door was banged up and the paint was scratched. The another one also had a scratch on the door that was touched it up (looked like the used white out, not good). I really hope they get the pain issues resolved with the white because that color looks absolutely fantastic in the sunlight. I’m assuming the touch up may have been at the factory because all the cars still have the shipping protection film on them.

I'm close to pulling the trigger. Went to the SC today and saw a Red MY that was exactly what I'd order (minus the white interior) ready to go with a temp tag. Started poking around looking for issues. Couldnt find anything obvious. Key word "obvious" ....

The sun was out and walking around it appeared the front bumper may have been scratched in transit as there was an obvious haze in the sun.

The other thing kinda shocked me. As I was walking away (that darn sun showed this), I saw what looked like a ding in the door. Changed my view angle and not only was there a ding, there was also an obvious 2-3" dent in the same area. Crazy, I looked several times and didn't catch it until the sun angle was just right.

Hopefully the new owner catches it before they take it off the lot.

Plus side: Nothing blatantly out of alignment. Maybe the worst thing was the hatch was about 3 mm in compared to the bumper.

Vin was 22xxx

Next question: Thought's on the widely varying VIN numbers? Cars being delivered with 22xxx, 18xxx, 24xxx all within the same delivery time frame. What is up with that?

I'm close to pulling the trigger. Went to the SC today and saw a Red MY that was exactly what I'd order (minus the white interior) ready to go with a temp tag. Started poking around looking for issues. Couldnt find anything obvious. Key word "obvious" ....

The sun was out and walking around it appeared the front bumper may have been scratched in transit as there was an obvious haze in the sun.

The other thing kinda shocked me. As I was walking away (that darn sun showed this), I saw what looked like a ding in the door. Changed my view angle and not only was there a ding, there was also an obvious 2-3" dent in the same area. Crazy, I looked several times and didn't catch it until the sun angle was just right.

Hopefully the new owner catches it before they take it off the lot.

Plus side: Nothing blatantly out of alignment. Maybe the worst thing was the hatch was about 3 mm in compared to the bumper.

Vin was 22xxx

Next question: Thought's on the widely varying VIN numbers? Cars being delivered with 22xxx, 18xxx, 24xxx all within the same delivery time frame. What is up with that?

VINs are not sequential.

My vin is 26xxx and is white on white. I picked it up yesterday and really no issues all seems to be in great shape, I went over the car and didn't see any issues. Biggest issue was residue on the bumper. Really not a big deal since it came right off and honestly it rained on the way home so would have never seen it.

Paint was good and panels were all pretty good. I am sure I could go over things and find stuff to complain about but it no worse them my BMW or Mercedes I have had in the past. Heck even lexus has trim issues if you look hard enough.

Reading these forums had me nervous about picking up the new MY
Actual delivery, exceeded expectations
Don't worry, chances are you will have a great car
Exactly! Come in stress free and leave even happier.

People here causing others to walk on egg shells over a car.

Give me a break...

Just went with my friend to pick up his white on black LR with VIN 27xxx built this month.

Paint was fine.
Gap was fine.

Charging port was not flushed.
Driver side coat hanger will not closed.
These issues will be addressed by SC.

He accepted and drove home with the biggest grin.
20200728_173359.jpg

Last edited:
I chose to chime in on this comment. I agree tje fit and finish should be better .
Tesla still wont disappoint mechanically or with software.
Research this Escalade/ tahoe yukon making people sick.
I spent 100k in 2016 for an escalade platinum.
Foam coming out vent. Fixed scuffed the leather. Back of car dull spot.
Good stuff
Driving low speed jumps like youre rear ended.
Look up the buffeting oh my the mechanical issues all over the internet.
Cadillac response wow youre our first complaint.
Years 2915 ,2016 not sure 2017
Also driving constantly checking for open windows...
So point ill live with a panel gap

Ironically, I am very familiar with the pressure buffeting reported on the Escalate/Tahoe/Yukon because I found it while researching the same issue with the Model S. It is, in fact, one of the issues I am most concerned about on the Model Y since several folks are popping up reporting the boomy cabin and , in some cases, buffeting!