Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery question and hatchback issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it possible to tell if the Tesla vehicle you accepted at delivery was rejected upon delivery by another previous customer and if so why it was rejected?

Background: I am in DC (not near Tesla factory!). We ordered the MY on June 17. We were told it would be 8 week minimum for the new vehicle. We were happy to wait. HOWEVER, later that same day, we received a note indicating our new car would be available for pickup 2 days later on the 19th. WOW! The Tesla rep told us she had not heard of such a quick turnaround, and that SHE was waiting 2 months for her MY. We inspected the car using a checklist from this forum. Drove away, happy new owners.

Fast forward to today:

A technician was at our home to repair a separate issue with the black trim around windows on the MY (issue is reported on this forum in another post).

After repairing the first issue, he started fixing a second separate issue: replacing rear passenger side tail light.

The tail light was constantly filled with condensation and water...even through 100 degree summer heat.

After installing the new tail light, the technician alerted me to a new, loud "click" noise occurring when the hatch opened. He discovered this "click" was caused by the new tail light housing rubbing against the inside of the opposing light housing unit.

He showed me on the "original" part, this piece was shaved off (thus the moisture entering the tail light unit). Why would this have been shaved? Furthermore, he showed me that the metal hinges on the hatch at the top had both been significantly 'sanded' (see photos), and said he had 'never' seen anything like that before - the hinges should not have been touched like that at all. It became apparent the hatch was not closing correctly and that these measures were taken to cover up the crooked closing hatch.

We experience issues with the hatch not opening in a 'smoothe' and sometimes 'jerky' manner but just chalked it up to the 'way it was' and did not inspect further since things seemed operational.

The technician politely apologized for the inconvenience and promptly scheduled us for another service appointment at the service center to fix it all. I told him I was worried about safety issues with the compromised metal hinges. He said it would be completely covered under warranty. Will see.

So, am curious your thoughts here...and especially under the context of the very quick turnaround on delivery.

Is it possible to know if your vehicle was rejected by another customer at delivery and why?

Have you seen issues with rear hatch back closing and metal hinges 'sanded'?

Attachments

• 20200914_193318.jpg
    20200914_193318.jpg
    757.2 KB · Views: 130
  • 20200914_193327.jpg
    20200914_193327.jpg
    923.6 KB · Views: 89
  • PhotoGrid_1600129909349.jpg
    PhotoGrid_1600129909349.jpg
    339.1 KB · Views: 89
Also hear DC. Picked up in Rockville at the end of June. Had the same shaved tail light and a very crooked rear hatch. Had it in for service twice to straighten the hatch and replace the tail light with a non "shaved" piece. Appears to all be good now.

Reactions: eyedub
It’s difficult to see from the blurry pictures - but it looks to me like someone hit those hinges with a BFH to adjust them upward. That is likely why there’s paint missing from the body at the bottom of the hinges.