Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery / Service Issues (panel gaps, delivery delays / issues / Service problems etc)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of my friends and neighbors just took delivery of a white 2021 SR+ yesterday, I did not notice this gap on his car. It was dark, but the car looked perfect from the outside as far as I could tell. I will take a closer look when I get a chance.

Really curious to see what the root cause behind this issue is, because it's not 100% obvious to me.

Make sure to inspect the car in broad daylight (I did this) and do it within the first few days. Then they'll cover any issues you might have.

Mine had these two and the SC told me it's in spec for the car.

Must be a pretty large tolerance spec...there is definitely something wrong with all the stamped panels from recent M3s. I’m curious as to what the spec actually is. Comparing to the old M3 the gap is is very obvious. My appointment is Jan 12 but don’t want to waste my time if they just come back with “within spec”

I saw a 2021 refresh Long-range model 3 yesterday and the fitment was horrible the guys rear bumper was out of spec by half an inch.
Doors where sloppy fit. I said gee mate that's horrible. He didn't care one bit and he was like oh well. i couldn't believe he was ok to spend that type of money for that fitment.

I've had 3x Tesla so far, my 3rd Tesla i told them if it's not right you can stick it the issue was minor so I was happy on delivery.

Honestly, I'm glad I didn't wait for China-built m3p.

I picked up my 2021 M3 in Fremont on Saturday and noticed a lot of the M3s standing around (probably the majority) had this issue too to varying degrees. Mine fortunately didn't really have that issue, although my passenger door is messed up in other ways (trim doesn't align between rear to front door and the front door is extremely difficult to close, have a pending SC appointment for it).

I gotta say my driver side door is really perfect though in all aspects. It looks and "feels" perfectly aligned and fitting. Fortunately I see that door much more.
Trunk is also kinda not great aligned and the headlights stick out a LOT (I thought this was normal since the other 2021 M3s at the factory had it too, but compared to the <2020 M3s in my apartment it's excessive).

Attaching some pics of how this area looks for me (1st: driver-side, 2nd: passenger-side).

Attachments

• PXL_20201228_102959120.jpg
    PXL_20201228_102959120.jpg
    434.6 KB · Views: 391
  • PXL_20201228_103046354.jpg
    PXL_20201228_103046354.jpg
    383.8 KB · Views: 324
Well dang. I probably should have read this before I checked. Again, just picked up yesterday and it’s been just raining like a monster and haven’t been able to even want to drive it yet.

Recommendations for cleaning dirty acid rain off of a brand new never before driven M3 21 refresh sitting in my driveway being bombarded with dirty rain for 24 hours. Not supposed to stop until today at 5

The notion that quality suffers at the end of each quarter is more myth than reality. The process you go through to purchase a car is going to be the same regardless of when the car was built.

You place your order. You go to the delivery center when it’s ready. You do a thorough inspection of the car before giving Tesla any money. If the car is in good condition you accept it. If not, you reject it and ask for another one.

So there is absolutely no reason to wait until next quarter to place your order if you are ready to buy. If you can get the free supercharging, why not go for it? Worst case is you get offered a car that you are not happy with, you reject it, and you wait until another one is available, even if it means losing the free miles.
I tend to agree using logic. Maybe the QC can suffer but all their building now is automated so it’s a little silly that they are “rushing them through”. The problems associated with doing such a thing would cause more damage then not meeting the desired quota which has been met and was obvious they would a month ago.

From all I’ve seen, Tesla always puts end of quarter incentives and especially EOY ones so I think it’s running as normal. What are they gonna do, speed up the machines that assemble them?

Of course I picked mine up yesterday so maybe wishful thinking.

Of course I picked mine up yesterday so maybe wishful thinking.

Not wishful thinking; it’s true. There’s no better or worse build at the end of a quarter. Period.

I see the same myth going around the RV community as well. 2020 was a banner year (and then some) for RV manufacturers. They’re built exactly the same way as before - lightweight, low cost materials. No better or worse than any other year.

Reactions: 95gator
My 2021 front passenger door is also inward at the top, when compared to the fender. Seems to be a common problem, so I'd say it's not an alignment issue, but a mold defect, no? Most other gaps are not perfect, but acceptable. The passenger door gap is the only one that bothers me a little, but not worth trying to fix, since it seems to be a door defect, rather than an alignment issue. And since there are no obvious door issues, like wind leaks, will leave it alone. But wind noise is as bad as it was on a 2020 we test drove in Austin, so the double-pane windows were worth a crap. Oh well.

Lemme know what you found

I'm sorry for your troubles. I took delivery of my 2021 LR AWD on Dec 17th with the knowledge I might find something wrong. I didn't. It's perfect and I'm picky. I've looked everywhere including multiple checklists. I've been under it and checked for missing blots, etc. Nothing.

I only post this for those readers lurking out there that tend to only see the bad things people found.

Note: Still have to watch the OP video, but...

Yea my delivery experience and quality were unfortunately very disappointing. Just so people don't believe I'm a sour grape because it doesn't match their experiences, I am otherwise incredibly happy every time I drive the car. I just try not to think that these issues exist with a 70,000 car. Hopefully Tesla resolves them, my delivery personal were likely too rushed to care and I didn't want to wait any longer to have my car. Some of these were discovered day of, but all of them within the 24 hour period I was told I had for noting issues.
  • Missing paint inside the door frames
  • Bad panel gap on the front-right door (at the section where it meets the windshield)
  • Door wouldn't shut
  • Window visibly scratched
  • Hidden Scratch on windshield
  • Plastic ice scraper removed paint (maybe some of you will scold me for this mistake, but never had this issue with my previous cars and my Tesla Rep was surprised)
  • Gray tint blob in the rear roof panel (maybe it's disappeared now that it's gotten more sunlight)
  • Deeply scratched paint on inside door (delivery rep said he'll buff it out, saw him working on it, but drove home and it was still there *sigh*)
  • Sealing around doors were fine in some areas but dented in other places
  • Door handles too deeply recessed on the rear doors, not even close to being flush
  • Whatever the black lining on the rear windshield is called (I believe used for heating?) has extra that's smudged
  • A few other concerns they were able to address (scuffs and paint residue)

Reactions: ColoradoMike
Note: Still have to watch the OP video, but...

Yea my delivery experience and quality were unfortunately very disappointing. Just so people don't believe I'm a sour grape because it doesn't match their experiences, I am otherwise incredibly happy every time I drive the car. I just try not to think that these issues exist with a 70,000 car. Hopefully Tesla resolves them, my delivery personal were likely too rushed to care and I didn't want to wait any longer to have my car. Some of these were discovered day of, but all of them within the 24 hour period I was told I had for noting issues.
  • Missing paint inside the door frames
  • Bad panel gap on the front-right door (at the section where it meets the windshield)
  • Door wouldn't shut
  • Window visibly scratched
  • Hidden Scratch on windshield
  • Plastic ice scraper removed paint (maybe some of you will scold me for this mistake, but never had this issue with my previous cars and my Tesla Rep was surprised)
  • Gray tint blob in the rear roof panel (maybe it's disappeared now that it's gotten more sunlight)
  • Deeply scratched paint on inside door (delivery rep said he'll buff it out, saw him working on it, but drove home and it was still there *sigh*)
  • Sealing around doors were fine in some areas but dented in other places
  • Door handles too deeply recessed on the rear doors, not even close to being flush
  • Whatever the black lining on the rear windshield is called (I believe used for heating?) has extra that's smudged
  • A few other concerns they were able to address (scuffs and paint residue)
Why didn't you refuse delivery? I am taking delivery on the 31st, and will refuse if I can't close the doors properly.

I'm sorry for your troubles. I took delivery of my 2021 LR AWD on Dec 17th with the knowledge I might find something wrong. I didn't. It's perfect and I'm picky. I've looked everywhere including multiple checklists. I've been under it and checked for missing blots, etc. Nothing.

I only post this for those readers lurking out there that tend to only see the bad things people found.

Would you mind sharing your checklist? thanks!

Why didn't you refuse delivery? I am taking delivery on the 31st, and will refuse if I can't close the doors properly.

Honestly factors of desire and uncertainty being of greater weight than my patience which was overtaxed at the time.

If you want the in depth answer:

Having ordered in September, already refused delivery once with the thought that I would get a car in October-November (with the rumored updates that came true). They fixed the door closing (without excessive force) issue on-site. There was no guarantee that my next car would be better and I didn't want to wait. Maybe this was just delivery rep playing the con-game with me, but I wasn't sure if I'd be put in the back of the line or not either and not make delivery within the quarter (likely would have in retrospect but still, emotions got the best of me).

I was spending a huge amount of time every day researching if NOW was the best time for my specific wants (including but not limited to wanting to watch FSD develop over time). I've been researching Tesla since 2012/2013, with a goal to have a Tesla since then, and basically looking up Tesla news every day for the past 3 years. I was probably spending 4 hours a day on these forums, in the final months. Now I come on once a week or so, and search Tesla news once every few days. instead of every time I open my phone lol. Needless to say it's nice​

TLDR answer:

I wanted my time back :D

It's been great having these past few weeks, drives like an absolute dream. It's restored my love of driving I used to have back in the Midwest, even in dreadful places to drive like where I live currently. A joy being able to share the experience with others with. Looking forward to the end of the pandemic

Reactions: Dayreg
Honestly factors of desire and uncertainty being of greater weight than my patience which was overtaxed at the time.

If you want the in depth answer:

Having ordered in September, already refused delivery once with the thought that I would get a car in October-November (with the rumored updates that came true). They fixed the door closing (without excessive force) issue on-site. There was no guarantee that my next car would be better and I didn't want to wait. Maybe this was just delivery rep playing the con-game with me, but I wasn't sure if I'd be put in the back of the line or not either and not make delivery within the quarter (likely would have in retrospect but still, emotions got the best of me).

I was spending a huge amount of time every day researching if NOW was the best time for my specific wants (including but not limited to wanting to watch FSD develop over time). I've been researching Tesla since 2012/2013, with a goal to have a Tesla since then, and basically looking up Tesla news every day for the past 3 years. I was probably spending 4 hours a day on these forums, in the final months. Now I come on once a week or so, and search Tesla news once every few days. instead of every time I open my phone lol. Needless to say it's nice​

TLDR answer:

I wanted my time back :D

It's been great having these past few weeks, drives like an absolute dream. It's restored my love of driving I used to have back in the Midwest, even in dreadful places to drive like where I live currently. A joy being able to share the experience with others with. Looking forward to the end of the pandemic
That's good to hear! I've been wanting a Tesla since 2012 as well, but will not part way with $55k to be plagued by little issues. I will refuse delivery if doors don't close because to me that indicates that the frame of the car was not manufactured correctly and may impact structural stability/safety.

That's good to hear! I've been wanting a Tesla since 2012 as well, but will not part way with $55k to be plagued by little issues. I will refuse delivery if doors don't close because to me that indicates that the frame of the car was not manufactured correctly and may impact structural stability/safety.

Yea you have every right. I'm hoping yours comes out pristine! :fingers-crossed

In my specific case the door closing issue was the placement of the metal latch. Was a 2 minute fix on their part. I don't believe that itself has any issue to do with the frame. Seems more likely to be poor placement of it as opposed to distortion of the frame, but maybe it's worth me taking a peak now to see if its placement now reflects its counterpart on the other side of the vehicle.