Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery / Service Issues (panel gaps, delivery delays / issues / Service problems etc)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all, I'm looking for some advice this situation. I ordered my M3P on 10/13/22 and took delivery (very quickly) on 10/20/22. The delivery went very smoothly and everything on the car looked and functioned perfectly. At delivery it had 15 miles on it. Unfortunately, I completely forgot to look under the car to check the undercarriage.

About eight days later I went to give it the first wash and as I was cleaning the wheels I noticed a huge gouge in the metal of what I've since found out is the jack point on the front driver's side (attached image from the service manual), along with a long puncture in the plastic rocker panel on that side. At the time I noticed this the car had about 140 miles on it. After some research I learned that some others have seen this before and that it most likely happened during shipping from the factory, the car must have been strapped down incorrectly or something.

I immediately opened up a service request and scheduled an appointment for 11/7/22, and was advised by the SC to bring it by before that to have someone take a quick look. I went by and everyone at my local SC was very nice and helpful. They had the lead tech come out and she was immediately shocked by the damage. They weren't sure how this was going to be fixed, I believe I heard one of them say that it was going to possibly be a HV battery swap. They let me know that when I bring it in on the 7th they'll immediately take it to the body shop for repair, but couldn't say what the actual repair will be until I bring it in for the appointment. That all makes sense to me. They also told me that it will be a warranty repair.

My worry now is that if the entire battery needs to be replaced, since as far as I can tell the metal from the jack points is shared by the metal covering the HV battery, I'm not sure I feel comfortable having such a major repair done on a brand new car. Would it make sense to ask them if the car can be replaced? What would you do?
You are VERY fortunate that Tesla appears to be willing to warranty this damage so long after your delivery!

Take the new HV battery with graciousness and thanks, and keep your head down in case you end up with too much publicity and someone higher up cancels your warranty repair….

Reactions: Danzr and navguy12
You are VERY fortunate that Tesla appears to be willing to warranty this damage so long after your delivery!

Take the new HV battery with graciousness and thanks, and keep your head down in case you end up with too much publicity and someone higher up cancels your warranty repair….

Honestly, after reading about others that have had this issue I'm considering not having the HV battery replaced. I read through the procedure in the service manual and I'm not excited about how much has to be done to swap the battery out. Since the jack points are integrated into the battery (for some reason) I'd think it would be a bit of a black mark on the history of the car that the entire battery had to be replaced (despite there being nothing actually wrong with it) so early in the cars life.

As long as the jack point is still safe to use with the metal out of the way I think I might prefer leaving it as is and just having the rocker panel replaced.

• Disagree
Reactions: navguy12
We picked up our new 2023 Model 3 RWD yesterday at the Nambe SC here in New Mexico.

Issues:

1. After we had already spent 15 minutes in the car going through menu configurations for both driver profiles (we have been running a 2022 model Y LR since March, so had some idea of settings we wanted to adjust), we tried to set the Home location. It could not accept our home address. So we tried using voice input just to navigate to nearby Santa Fe. No cigar. Somewhere in there, we saw that it was giving an alert along the lines of "offline input" when we typed in addresses. I speculated that the basic connectivity was not active, and sought help. The Tesla guy coached me to do a two-button reboot, then to go into the upgraded menu and subscribe to premium connectivity.

Somewhere in there it started working (could find our home address, and accepted voice input with the correct "heard" text appearing on the screen). But I should not in fact have needed already to sign up for premium connectivity, as my free one month trial was just beginning. So I don't know what the deal was, though it seems to be satisfactorily resolved.

2. On attempting, as I habitually do with the Y, to get the cabin temperature comfortable before going out to the car by activating climate in the app for the first time--right at home, I was shocked to see the target temperature reading LO. The app animation indicated that it was actively cooling the car, so I hit OFF. When we got in the car and prepared to leave, both the driver and passenger target temperatures showed "LO" and the system was not active. I tapped the temperatures and separately set each side to 71, and it activated. Not sure what happened here, nor whether it may happen again.

3. On first driving in our dark, street-light-free neighborhood, we noticed that the high cutoff point of the low beams is set so low that vision ahead is unsafely short, especially where there is even a little concavity to the road elevation. We think our new October 2022-built model year 2023 3 RWD has matrix headlights, while our March 2022-built model year 2022 Y LR has the other kind. As currently aimed, we greatly prefer the local neighborhood behavior of the previous headlights.

I hope issues 1 and 2 were evanescent, so just mention them here as the sort of delivery day glitch that can harm the experience. I currently intend to adjust the headlight aiming myself. As I lack the prescribed facilities (perfectly level parking 25 feet in front of a bare wall) I plan to use a "relative adjustment", parking on the slightly sloped concrete pad outside my garage door in a repeatable location, marking the current beam tops with some gaffer's tape on the door, then adjusting up a couple of clicks. That probably won't be enough, but I'll do some test driving before going any further.

At the present time, I don't know whether I think the factory mis-aimed my headlights, or I just find the factory intended aiming to be unsuitable for true dark night operation in a location without streetlights, where the streets are not perfectly level. Maybe Tesla should check how their lights work away from Palo Alto.

We picked up our new 2023 Model 3 RWD yesterday at the Nambe SC here in New Mexico.

Issues:

1. After we had already spent 15 minutes in the car going through menu configurations for both driver profiles (we have been running a 2022 model Y LR since March, so had some idea of settings we wanted to adjust), we tried to set the Home location. It could not accept our home address. So we tried using voice input just to navigate to nearby Santa Fe. No cigar. Somewhere in there, we saw that it was giving an alert along the lines of "offline input" when we typed in addresses. I speculated that the basic connectivity was not active, and sought help. The Tesla guy coached me to do a two-button reboot, then to go into the upgraded menu and subscribe to premium connectivity.

Somewhere in there it started working (could find our home address, and accepted voice input with the correct "heard" text appearing on the screen). But I should not in fact have needed already to sign up for premium connectivity, as my free one month trial was just beginning. So I don't know what the deal was, though it seems to be satisfactorily resolved.

2. On attempting, as I habitually do with the Y, to get the cabin temperature comfortable before going out to the car by activating climate in the app for the first time--right at home, I was shocked to see the target temperature reading LO. The app animation indicated that it was actively cooling the car, so I hit OFF. When we got in the car and prepared to leave, both the driver and passenger target temperatures showed "LO" and the system was not active. I tapped the temperatures and separately set each side to 71, and it activated. Not sure what happened here, nor whether it may happen again.

3. On first driving in our dark, street-light-free neighborhood, we noticed that the high cutoff point of the low beams is set so low that vision ahead is unsafely short, especially where there is even a little concavity to the road elevation. We think our new October 2022-built model year 2023 3 RWD has matrix headlights, while our March 2022-built model year 2022 Y LR has the other kind. As currently aimed, we greatly prefer the local neighborhood behavior of the previous headlights.

I hope issues 1 and 2 were evanescent, so just mention them here as the sort of delivery day glitch that can harm the experience. I currently intend to adjust the headlight aiming myself. As I lack the prescribed facilities (perfectly level parking 25 feet in front of a bare wall) I plan to use a "relative adjustment", parking on the slightly sloped concrete pad outside my garage door in a repeatable location, marking the current beam tops with some gaffer's tape on the door, then adjusting up a couple of clicks. That probably won't be enough, but I'll do some test driving before going any further.

At the present time, I don't know whether I think the factory mis-aimed my headlights, or I just find the factory intended aiming to be unsuitable for true dark night operation in a location without streetlights, where the streets are not perfectly level. Maybe Tesla should check how their lights work away from Palo Alto.
There is no QA in these new tesla. The highlight are not calibrated at the factory. Open a service request to get it taken care of

Hi all,
Just picked up my vehicle two days ago. Of course Tesla won’t let me inspect the interior until I accepted delivery. When I did, I noticed these two issues.
1. Detached plastic trim around door. The service technician dismissed this and said “it will wear itself in once I regularly use the door”. What crap?
2. Seat wrinkle - only noticed this when I got home.

Exterior issues (not listing all for now).
1. Hood was misaligned at delivery. They attempted to repair, but now the taillights have inconsistent gaps. Worst of all, I now have scratches on the hood.

Have raised these with the SC but am nervous just in case I get more issues post-repairs. Any feedback?

Attachments

• 9E3ADEEC-FFCF-47DB-9365-BC9D2CDAB66F.jpeg
    9E3ADEEC-FFCF-47DB-9365-BC9D2CDAB66F.jpeg
    212.8 KB · Views: 245
  • 791AE20D-6BC4-421E-8607-E868F051E3A4.jpeg
    791AE20D-6BC4-421E-8607-E868F051E3A4.jpeg
    402.8 KB · Views: 187
  • 1B5B228C-D0CE-4DE3-99A1-EBEB4AF38749.jpeg
    1B5B228C-D0CE-4DE3-99A1-EBEB4AF38749.jpeg
    302.9 KB · Views: 186
  • CA8918B8-227D-440B-902D-AF56C37C1B1C.jpeg
    CA8918B8-227D-440B-902D-AF56C37C1B1C.jpeg
    180.3 KB · Views: 187
  • CFCC7B30-DF69-4BAA-B09E-301171B5665F.jpeg
    CFCC7B30-DF69-4BAA-B09E-301171B5665F.jpeg
    329.8 KB · Views: 191
I have noticed the windows gaps are pretty wide on my M3RWD.

What concern me is if rain/water will get into the interiors thru those gaps. I also notice at the bottom corners of the windows seem the rubber seals might not prevent water to get in.

i have scheduled a service appointment with Tesla but they would want me to bring to car to the service center rather than mobile service. will see how things go.
unnamed (5).jpg
unnamed (4).jpg
unnamed (3).jpg
unnamed (2).jpg

What concern me is if rain/water will get into the interiors thru those gaps. I also notice at the bottom corners of the windows seem the rubber seals might not prevent water to get in.

i have scheduled a service appointment with Tesla but they would want me to bring to car to the service center rather than mobile service. will see how things go.View attachment 872560View attachment 872562View attachment 872563View attachment 872564
got a notification from Tesla Service Team to confirm my appt. However, I am more concern about they will mess up some other stuff, or scratch the paint. if the glasses gaps are normal, I am going to cancel the service appt.

i have scheduled a service appointment with Tesla but they would want me to bring to car to the service center rather than mobile service. will see how things go.View attachment 872560View attachment 872562View attachment 872563View attachment 872564
anyone can provide some feedbacks? are they normal?

Hi all,
Just picked up my vehicle two days ago. Of course Tesla won’t let me inspect the interior until I accepted delivery. When I did, I noticed these two issues.
1. Detached plastic trim around door. The service technician dismissed this and said “it will wear itself in once I regularly use the door”. What crap?
2. Seat wrinkle - only noticed this when I got home.

Exterior issues (not listing all for now).
1. Hood was misaligned at delivery. They attempted to repair, but now the taillights have inconsistent gaps. Worst of all, I now have scratches on the hood.

Have raised these with the SC but am nervous just in case I get more issues post-repairs. Any feedback?
That looks like the rear passenger side seat to me, which I had a similar (but less bad) wrinkle that I got the whole seat replaced for free. Was actually around 6-9 months after my car was delivered too. The tech said he actually found some sort of service bulletin or notice on it. We laughed as I told him I was vindicated on it lol.

The taillights look totally fine, don't stress about that. The rubber door trim too as that just happens with hot/cold. I had one on my trunk area and it doesn't affect anything. Nothing they can really do for it either I don't think. If they replace it, it can easily just come back.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpeedBird23
That looks like the rear passenger side seat to me, which I had a similar (but less bad) wrinkle that I got the whole seat replaced for free. Was actually around 6-9 months after my car was delivered too. The tech said he actually found some sort of service bulletin or notice on it. We laughed as I told him I was vindicated on it lol.

The taillights look totally fine, don't stress about that. The rubber door trim too as that just happens with hot/cold. I had one on my trunk area and it doesn't affect anything. Nothing they can really do for it either I don't think. If they replace it, it can easily just come back.
What about the scratches on the trunk? Do they buff out that local area or will they need to work on the entire section to ensure a uniform finish?

Pretty sure they can buff it out. I had a small paint cracking/bubbling on the rear inside door jamb I found a few months later and they fixed it very nicely.
I am very sure they got all those scratches as they were trying to make adjustments to the trunk at delivery. There was a very tight gap between the trunk arm and the quarter panel, and I noticed a family of scratches in that area when I got home. Really hope they can buff them all out so it all looks nice and uniform.

The small paint chip on the other hand, I know, should be easy to address.

Loving the car though; amazing to drive.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
Definetly within spec for Tesla.
Best to leave it alone as any attempts to mess with that particular area by people who should know how to adjust this can and will result in:

a. scratches, marring, dents, dings at or near the panel gap in question
b. damage to the trunk latch
c. damage to the rear glass weatherstripping
d. damage to the bumper paint where the trunk hatch can start to come in contact with it as a result of trying to get it even more within spec.
e. damage to the trunk auto close, trunk harness, etc.

Let Tesla be Tesla - there is a reputation and public perception to uphold here all these years after initial production start.

Reactions: navguy12
Definetly within spec for Tesla.
Best to leave it alone as any attempts to mess with that particular area by people who should know how to adjust this can and will result in:

a. scratches, marring, dents, dings at or near the panel gap in question
b. damage to the trunk latch
c. damage to the rear glass weatherstripping
d. damage to the bumper paint where the trunk hatch can start to come in contact with it as a result of trying to get it even more within spec.
e. damage to the trunk auto close, trunk harness, etc.

Let Tesla be Tesla - there is a reputation and public perception to uphold here all these years after initial production start.
I'll live with it, thanks for the feedback. When i went to pick up my car i felt like one of the lucky ones because the new cars around mine had worse gaps.

Is this worth creating a service ticket for? The left side of the car has a decent sized gap while the right side does not.
I would leave it alone. I noticed that these top of the truck spots have varying gaps every time the trunk is opened and closed. Since the automatic actuator is only on one side its bound to misalign when it sucks it closed. You can literally push those areas down by hand with minimal effort to line em up properly.

I'll live with it, thanks for the feedback. When i went to pick up my car i felt like one of the lucky ones because the new cars around mine had worse gaps.
Same. The panel gaps I have on M3RWD are acceptable to me. I just want to treat it as a car for transportation and not for collection purpose (and I know it is a expensive car as well )

Reactions: parrainx
My driver side tail-light is fogging up nasty again after any type of rain and I submitted a photo and they approved the request. My steering wheel also once again the leather is coming loose/bunching from the underside and they said they had to further inspect it before approving warranty. No worries I thought. Then once again spotify and other services just don't work and the two button restart doesn't resolve it. It has to do with something with the software just not pulling new data I think as I notice it shows me a playlist then when it begins to work that playlist is completely different now.

I drop it off and they approved the steering wheel no problem, When I left I get a message updating me and now it says the tail-light is "Normal" and I asked why and got back that "It's normal right now and all taillights do this" .I have 6-7 other cars at home and even an 04 Neon on original tail-lights, they never fog up or condensate inside, this is nuts. In the mornings you literally can barely make out the light after any type of rain.