Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery / Service Issues (panel gaps, delivery delays / issues / Service problems etc)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you for the tips. When I asked to compare with other Model 3s, they told me there was no exact model 3 on the lot (Same Year) so we couldn't compare.

All the service centers seem to be a joke but can anyone recommend a good service center in SoCal?

Thank you for the tips. When I asked to compare with other Model 3s, they told me there was no exact model 3 on the lot (Same Year) so we couldn't compare.

All the service centers seem to be a joke but can anyone recommend a good service center in SoCal?
That is a total BS answer. The windshield should not have any distortion or "waves". Definitely go to a different service center and hopefully you'll get some traction.

Reactions: BigNick
My delivery experience can be summarized fairly easy.

'Get your s...tuff and get out"

Had to make two service requests before leaving lot.

Atleast the person over the phone didnt mince words. If I wanted delivery it would be extra charge. So I drove the 350 mi one way to pick it up.

Off to the service center tomorrow for my appointment. I hope the Serv Ctr in Pcola is better than the delivery Ctr in JAX.

Took my car for PPF and the manager said that they found significant “trash” or imperfections in the paint. What do I do in this case? I just picked up the car on Saturday.

50F31D18-A862-46FD-A4F3-C423B9DB0A18.jpeg

I picked up my car today and I am happy to say that the car was almost perfect. Reps there sort of pushed me to accept the delivery before seeing the car and told me I still can refuse the delivery after hitting accept as long as I did not leave the lot with the car (which I did not believe to be true). After pushing back, they allowed me to inspect the car (they still did not give me the keys until I accepted the delivery).

Reactions: SanCarlosJeff
Took my car for PPF and the manager said that they found significant “trash” or imperfections in the paint. What do I do in this case? I just picked up the car on Saturday.

View attachment 888983
Open a ticket and reschedule your PPF installation. Since you just got the car, this is the best time to have them repaint. The longer you have it, the harder it'll be to let them know that it's their fault versus yours when you drive it around.

The gotcha is this, I had 3 major paint issues, actual chips, bigger than a grain of rice. They had my car for 4 weeks or so and added 50+ miles on it due to them driving it/back forth to the 3rd party body ship. By the time I got it back, sure the 3 chips were gone but they added new chips, lolol. I delayed the PPF once already so I decided to just take the L and kept it as is. So there's some risk and given that it's a daily driver, you will eventually get chips on the unprotected area.

It's up to you if you want to PPF it as is or deal with Tesla's shop and the potential of adding other issues and of course, time. It won't be a one day turnaround.

Open a ticket and reschedule your PPF installation. Since you just got the car, this is the best time to have them repaint. The longer you have it, the harder it'll be to let them know that it's their fault versus yours when you drive it around.

The gotcha is this, I had 3 major paint issues, actual chips, bigger than a grain of rice. They had my car for 4 weeks or so and added 50+ miles on it due to them driving it/back forth to the 3rd party body ship. By the time I got it back, sure the 3 chips were gone but they added new chips, lolol. I delayed the PPF once already so I decided to just take the L and kept it as is. So there's some risk and given that it's a daily driver, you will eventually get chips on the unprotected area.

It's up to you if you want to PPF it as is or deal with Tesla's shop and the potential of adding other issues and of course, time. It won't be a one day turnaround.

If you didn't notice it when you picked dit up, don't let it bother you now. I personally would not have that repainted, chances are pretty good it will come back worse than original.

I would have had actual chips, bigger than a grain of rice repainted, like Kokukenji described.

It's going to get a little beat up here and there as you drive it, PPF or no. Soon that little bit of trash in the clear won't be anything to worry about, unless it's a garage queen or show car.

Reactions: navguy12
Tesla has agreed to buy my M3P back after filing for lemon so that's all she wrote.
Had you previously opted out of arbitration when you ordered the car? Or did they agreed to a Lemon buyback despite being able to force you into binding arbitration?

Federal Law is not consumer friendly when it comes to arbitration. Abundant court decisions have held that a contractual agreement to binding arbitration supersedes any State or Local laws meant to protect the consumer. I’m curious if in your case Tesla couldn’t force you into arbitration or if they were simply being gracious and decided to do something consumer friendly for once.

I decided against doing the PPF on the fenders where the trouble spots are and got the bumper and hood done only. I think it would have been a nightmare dealing with Tesla and a body shop. Tesla service communication is already horrible to me so I can only imagine my car being sent back and forth between a service center and a body shop. Let alone running the risk of making the problem worse.

I decided against doing the PPF on the fenders where the trouble spots are and got the bumper and hood done only. I think it would have been a nightmare dealing with Tesla and a body shop. Tesla service communication is already horrible to me so I can only imagine my car being sent back and forth between a service center and a body shop. Let alone running the risk of making the problem worse.
Yah, I couldn't agree more, lol. Time to just enjoy the car. Have fun with your new ride!

Getting a little frustrated with Tesla. I picked up my new M3 LR on Dec 14th. This is my second Tesla. Previously had a MX LR.

On the drive home I noticed an audible hissing noise almost like air was leaking whenever the car got to highway speeds. I immediately brought the car back to Tesla (same day I bought it), but they wouldn’t look at it without and appointment.

Went in for the appointment for the air noise and also told them the driver’s door appeared to be misaligned and didn’t fully close. There was a gap wide enough to stick your finger when the drivers door was closed. They said that’s probably the cause of the air and sent the car to the body shop.

Two weeks later I get the back today. The interior plastic molding on the drivers side is all scratched and scuffed with a number of fair deep scratches that look like tool marks. So a little sad that my brand new M3 now has the worn interior look of a 3 or 4 year old car.

What’s worse as soon as I tested the car on the highway the noise was still there. The door gap is gone, but like clockwork when the car hits 60 MPH it hisses. I brought the car right back to the shop. This time they agreed to have a tech ride along with me. The tech agreed there is probably air leaking in from a bad seal either around the windshield or the driver’s window.

So my new car is now back in the shop for the 2nd or 3rd time depends on how you count. And we are certainly to go into 3 weeks with no car by the time this is sorted. They said they may need to replace the windshield and possibly all the weather stripping around the drivers door. I’ll be shocked if this gets accomplished quickly with New Years in only a few days.

Other than to simply vent a bit of frustration. I suppose my question is at what point are we getting into Lemon territory. Legally I know the answer, but I mean more as a matter of principle. Am I making too much of this? I’ve literally never opened a new car in my entire life that’s needed weeks of repair before I could even take the thing home.

Getting a little frustrated with Tesla. I picked up my new M3 LR on Dec 14th. This is my second Tesla. Previously had a MX LR.

On the drive home I noticed an audible hissing noise almost like air was leaking whenever the car got to highway speeds. I immediately brought the car back to Tesla (same day I bought it), but they wouldn’t look at it without and appointment.

Went in for the appointment for the air noise and also told them the driver’s door appeared to be misaligned and didn’t fully close. There was a gap wide enough to stick your finger when the drivers door was closed. They said that’s probably the cause of the air and sent the car to the body shop.

Two weeks later I get the back today. The interior plastic molding on the drivers side is all scratched and scuffed with a number of fair deep scratches that look like tool marks. So a little sad that my brand new M3 now has the worn interior look of a 3 or 4 year old car.

What’s worse as soon as I tested the car on the highway the noise was still there. The door gap is gone, but like clockwork when the car hits 60 MPH it hisses. I brought the car right back to the shop. This time they agreed to have a tech ride along with me. The tech agreed there is probably air leaking in from a bad seal either around the windshield or the driver’s window.

So my new car is now back in the shop for the 2nd or 3rd time depends on how you count. And we are certainly to go into 3 weeks with no car by the time this is sorted. They said they may need to replace the windshield and possibly all the weather stripping around the drivers door. I’ll be shocked if this gets accomplished quickly with New Years in only a few days.

Other than to simply vent a bit of frustration. I suppose my question is at what point are we getting into Lemon territory. Legally I know the answer, but I mean more as a matter of principle. Am I making too much of this? I’ve literally never opened a new car in my entire life that’s needed weeks of repair before I could even take the thing home.

I'm sorry you are having to go through this. Did you also ask them to replace the trim they messed up with the first repair attempt?

Reactions: navguy12
I'm sorry you are having to go through this. Did you also ask them to replace the trim they messed up with the first repair attempt?
I spoke with the service center manager about the damaged trim. I kind of got the impression she wasn’t paying attention to what I was actually saying or just didn’t care all that much. I added it in the app and snapped some cell phone pics as well just so it’s documented. Hopefully they address without any pushback.

TL;DR - I know this is a thread about delivery issues but I wanted to add a positive, issue-free post about my excellent end of Q4 delivery experience at Fremont.

I took delivery of my M3 RWD grey/black/18" on Wed, 12/28/22 at the Fremont factory delivery center. I ordered it on 12/19 & there was not one in inventory so it was a "custom" order & I chose Fremont for the best shot of getting it by 12/31. I was definitely nervous about quality issues due to the end of Q4/big discount rush but hopeful that Fremont's reputation for putting out pretty high quality cars these days would hold.

It ended up being the easiest process ever; I was expecting a shitshow due to the end of Q4 rush & huge incentives but it was totally seamless. I had everything done in the app the day before. I got the text in the morning that the car was in spot AG10 & my brother and I headed there in his 2018 M3P. He's had 3 Teslas & joined countless friends for their Tesla deliveries so it was nice to have someone experienced along, for sure. I did not accept delivery in the app at first, because we wanted to look over the exterior. It was excellent, all gaps were well within spec and tight, paint was good. I was pleased that it appears to have the Matrix headlights (pretty stoked on that, plus the LFP battery chemistry, sweet both are on a base model for under $40k!). The only exterior flaw we could find was a tiny scratch on a rearview mirror, which I took a photo of in case I ever decide I care. We spent decent time on the exterior & my brother knows what to look for. He said his '18 M3P had far worse gaps & issues, so Tesla Fremont seems to have come a long way in 5 years.

I accepted delivery so we could get inside. We paired my phone, etc and did our best to look at everything inside that we could. Everything looked & worked great, touchscreen system, software, all cubbies & doors working as they should. No way to listen for any rattles, etc but to drive so we decided we could leave, luckily no rattles or anything other issues upon exiting the lot. We could have spent as long as we wanted. We were just out in the lot with the car, only Tesla employees around cleaning up cars, moving them around, etc. We never needed a human but they are available should you feel you need one. Taking an experienced Tesla owner along is best, imo. My brother quickly walked me through the essentials but he would have spent hours w/me if I wanted him to - I was too hungry for that, lol.

I've since driven about 250 miles, supercharged once, & am just learning the car. It has been fantastic, to me it's what every sedan should be (& to be clear, I'm a total gearhead & have had many a fun/track/performance car & have done a lot of track driving/racing). The delivery process was so, so easy & I still can't believe more people in the general public don't understand that there is no better new car for under $40k (mine was $39,490 before all the normal, additional costs). Really, really pleased so far!

Last edited:
Hey, I'm not sure if the gaps around the taillights on the left and right side are considered as "okay", I think they are relatively large.

So my question would be:
Are the gaps around the left and right taillights still reasonable or are they bad? Maybe someone has had similar experiences and would tesla fix panel gap issues?

Attachments

• 28CAF298-A68C-469E-93FD-CBB0424795D6.jpeg
    28CAF298-A68C-469E-93FD-CBB0424795D6.jpeg
    458.2 KB · Views: 155
  • B49702E4-33B9-4589-929A-E8D0FE61E1DC.jpeg
    B49702E4-33B9-4589-929A-E8D0FE61E1DC.jpeg
    449.5 KB · Views: 115
Had you previously opted out of arbitration when you ordered the car? Or did they agreed to a Lemon buyback despite being able to force you into binding arbitration?

Federal Law is not consumer friendly when it comes to arbitration. Abundant court decisions have held that a contractual agreement to binding arbitration supersedes any State or Local laws meant to protect the consumer. I’m curious if in your case Tesla couldn’t force you into arbitration or if they were simply being gracious and decided to do something consumer friendly for once.

The Lemon firm filed for arbitration, shortly after (A week?) Tesla opted to buy back the vehicle. Although it's now been a little over 3 weeks and we haven't heard from them but that's normalish. I'm even happier the car is gone, Tesla did something to change the auto-wipers making them worthless, Spotify is still garbage to use and there's no alternative of carplay/android auto to make up for it, and now two attempts to find a window seal leak on my passenger side and still have it. Another repair attempt Wednesday.

The Lemon firm filed for arbitration, shortly after (A week?) Tesla opted to buy back the vehicle. Although it's now been a little over 3 weeks and we haven't heard from them but that's normalish. I'm even happier the car is gone, Tesla did something to change the auto-wipers making them worthless, Spotify is still garbage to use and there's no alternative of carplay/android auto to make up for it, and now two attempts to find a window seal leak on my passenger side and still have it. Another repair attempt Wednesday.
I’m asking because I’m quickly approaching Lemon Law thresholds. I picked up my new M3 LR on Dec 14th. The car has been in to the Tesla service center 4 times now and I’ve only had the vehicle at home with me one night since I bought it.

First problem was the day I bought. There was an air leak into the cabin when the car went out to highway speeds. They thought it was caused by a misaligned door. So the car went to the body shop for two weeks. I got the car back and the body shop has put substantial scratches into the trim while working on the door. So the trim was replaced. When I finally got the car back as soon as I drove it the air leak was still there. A tech road with me and determined the leak was from a faulty seal on the driver’s window or windshield. Tesla then replaced some of the glass and told me to pick up the car. I went to pick up the car yesterday and the driver’s window wouldn’t go up or down. They apparently broke the motor by installing a new window. The service center didn’t have the part in stock and I was quoted a week for it to be shipped which will bring me to over 1 month of my new vehicle being in the shop before this is all sorted. And I’m still not even sure if they ever fixed the original air leak.