Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery - Texas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

My VIN was assigned a couple of days ago. EDD March 12-19th

A couple of questions for those familiar with Texas:

1. Asks for proof of insurance and I’ll be switching from State Farm to Costco. How can I confirm if I don’t have the car in hand? My policy is set to start on the 19th, but that is TBD until I get a set delivery date.

2. I’ll be selling my car as part of the payment for the Y. In Texas, I have to submit payment before delivery… how can I do that when I’m selling my car to help fund the purchase? I still have to get to work every day.

Will I not get a set delivery date until these are completed?

Appreciate the help!

1. Wait till closer to delivery date to get insurance you will have vin number already in hand and when you choose your delivery date is in you get insurance. I had to get my insurance week before car was here so they can get the paperwork started.

2. Trading in is the best option if you can because you also get tax credit if you are selling car in order to time right when you select your date for pickup you better have the cash 3 days before you pick up car to put payment down or they will reschedule your pickup. I even asked if I could see the car first before I pickup on the same date. They stated this is not a dealership where you look at a car then do downpayment. If payment isn’t received again they stated vehicle could reschedule for different date.

I just picked my car up last week in Plano so this is still fresh on my mind lol.

March 12-19th is right on maybe expect week before that but no earlier or later unless they are behind.

Reactions: hp1234
Good to know. How much did you save on taxes & tags? I figured I would get the better deal from just selling my car outright and we fork out the 6.5% to register the car.

For example, I would be selling my car $10174. If I traded it in, it would be a shade under $8,000

Yeah it’s better if you sell since you only get back 500 to your trade in for tax lol. Not worth it. My trade was 18300 so 2500 that goes towards tax. Yeah you should be fine just timing have money ready lol. And you will pay though the app so easy process.

Reactions: SpeedyGringoY
Our State Farm agent instructed us to call him as soon as we have a VIN so that he can get the ball rolling on building and pricing the policy for us. Then reconnect once we have a delivery date to select a start-date for the policy. We are transferring from an existing SF policy, so already have the personal connection. Suggest that if you have not reached out to a SF agent yet, go ahead and do that.

Our State Farm agent instructed us to call him as soon as we have a VIN so that he can get the ball rolling on building and pricing the policy for us. Then reconnect once we have a delivery date to select a start-date for the policy. We are transferring from an existing SF policy, so already have the personal connection. Suggest that if you have not reached out to a SF agent yet, go ahead and do that.
I actually am switching insurance companies when I take delivery to Costco from State Farm. Way better rate. I was able to get an insurance card with the vin, so all good there! Thanks for the knowledge.

Yeah it’s better if you sell since you only get back 500 to your trade in for tax lol. Not worth it. My trade was 18300 so 2500 that goes towards tax. Yeah you should be fine just timing have money ready lol. And you will pay though the app so easy process.
Lol yeah I did the math yesterday and that’s the route we ended up going with. Would rather have the smaller loan payment.

Now you guys got me thinking to look at Costco insurance too! I’m supposed to pick up myp next weekend at Plano. That service center is totally packed w new cars. M3 galore and some normal my sprinkled about. Handful of myp tho.
The tax benefit of trading my car in made me think but at the end Tesla offer was way below. Dealers were offering 44k.

Reactions: Wu01ok
Got mine done at dfwclearbra paid 2500 for tint and clear bra front bumper hood fender mirrors and headlights. But tint was 750 I believe.
I got 35 all around. Didn’t do sunroof because the guy said might not need anything because it already had heat rejection and uv treated told me to get a feel. He didn’t want to charge me for something I might not need. So the 750 would be lower if you don’t do sunroof.

Attachments

• 31B02771-0BC6-4B0A-A1E1-62A7E102618D.jpeg
    31B02771-0BC6-4B0A-A1E1-62A7E102618D.jpeg
    612.3 KB · Views: 130
  • 74E454E4-98A1-456C-867B-978FF1BA030B.jpeg
    74E454E4-98A1-456C-867B-978FF1BA030B.jpeg
    624.8 KB · Views: 66
Got mine done at dfwclearbra paid 2500 for tint and clear bra front bumper hood fender mirrors and headlights. But tint was 750 I believe.
I got 35 all around. Didn’t do sunroof because the guy said might not need anything because it already had heat rejection and uv treated told me to get a feel. He didn’t want to charge me for something I might not need. So the 750 would be lower if you don’t do sunroof.
$750 for tint? Is it some kind of magic force field tint that also bullet proof?