Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pay on delivery day after inspection?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did wire transfer. The teller said it might take a day or two. Got home couple hours later. Checked my Savings acct and the money was already transfered. The bank charged me $25 tranfer fee.
Yeah so you did it before you accepted the vehicle. Afraid something could happen before delivery and then I’m out $$$ - I plan to arrive a little early and inspect the car, at least the exterior if it’s still locked. Then I will do the check debit in the app for final payment. Should take 30 seconds or so. Then I’ll accept the delivery.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
I paid my downpayment via electronic transfer after I verified the condition of my car. My credit union then paid Tesla after I accepted delivery. But as stated, this depends on what State you’re taking delivery in and if Tesla is allowed to sell direct to consumers.

I paid my downpayment via electronic transfer after I verified the condition of my car. My credit union then paid Tesla after I accepted delivery. But as stated, this depends on what State you’re taking delivery in and if Tesla is allowed to sell direct to consumers.
I am located on PA and delivery is at a Tesla dealership and service center. Good to hear you did what I plan on doing. 😊

Delivery this weekend. Last task in app is to make final payment. Why would I submit it before I physically check the vehicle and accept it?

I plan to just take my checking book with routing info with me that day. If I accept, then I can just enter it into the app and be done.

Am I right?
We collected our MY LR from NJ last week and we didn't make the payments until we inspect the car inside and outside. We paid with the Back Certified check and Tesla adviser unlocked the car and turned the hazards on for me to find the car easily.

They left a package inside the car to sign and bring that to front desk once we inspected everything with the check and that's it. We drove away with the car.

Note: In the App said my insurance need to have at least 3months before expiring and I only had like 1 month since my policy term is 6months. But that requirement is only for California. NJ only need to have the insurance valid for 72hrs/3days, so I was okay.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Reactions: Pricedm
We collected our MY LR from NJ last week and we didn't make the payments until we inspect the car inside and outside. We paid with the Back Certified check and Tesla adviser unlocked the car and turned the hazards on for me to find the car easily.

They left a package inside the car to sign and bring that to front desk once we inspected everything with the check and that's it. We drove away with the car.

Note: In the App said my insurance need to have at least 3months before expiring and I only had like 1 month since my policy term is 6months. But that requirement is only for California. NJ only need to have the insurance valid for 72hrs/3days, so I was okay.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Yes my insurance is good from April to October so I should be good and it’s already scanned to the app.

Yeah so you did it before you accepted the vehicle. Afraid something could happen before delivery and then I’m out $$$ - I plan to arrive a little early and inspect the car, at least the exterior if it’s still locked. Then I will do the check debit in the app for final payment. Should take 30 seconds or so. Then I’ll accept the delivery.
Yes, I pretty much took a chance on it. Thank god everything went smoothly. I live in CT and I had to go pick it up in NY which is about an hour and a half from me. Hate to take another off from work drive there again the second time.

Reactions: whsbuss
Since Tesla (and esp delivery center) is totally unreachable over phone (and far away)… if I may ask here - is just carrying cheque book to one of NY delivery centers good enough for payment ?

I know of references to electronic/via app/ACH in comments - I feel like I don’t fully understand if I need anything certified at my local branch (Chase bank) before going over to Tesla delivery center (good 2 hrs away) TIA

Since Tesla (and esp delivery center) is totally unreachable over phone (and far away)… if I may ask here - is just carrying cheque book to one of NY delivery centers good enough for payment ?

I know of references to electronic/via app/ACH in comments - I feel like I don’t fully understand if I need anything certified at my local branch (Chase bank) before going over to Tesla delivery center (good 2 hrs away) TIA
They don't accept personal checks anymore.

Per their website:

Check payments via bill pay or personal checks are not accepted.

I can only share my experiences from delivery in October in Alpharetta, GA. I was allowed to look around the outside of the car for as long as I wanted before payment as some service folks there did a quick exterior delivery prep (cleaned the windows, hit some water spots with quick detailer spray etc.) I was not able to inspect the interior, but I didn't specifically request to so I'm not sure if I had asked if they would have opened it for me. Once I was satisfied with the exterior which thankfully appeared to not have any issues, panel gaps or damage, I went back in and handed over a bank-issued check (partial loan) and paid the remainder through ACH in the app. Within a matter of second the vehicle showed up on my phone.

This is where memory gets a bit fuzzy, but I believe the key cards were actually left inside the locked car so my first step after accepting was to tap my phone to the B-pillar which instantly setup the phone-key and unlocked the car.

It was a really busy Saturday so shortly after I got in, I just pulled away from their delivery area into a parking lot next door where I did a detailed inspection of the interior and ran through a checklist in case I needed to go back and have them address something. Fortunately, everything on my delivery checklist was perfect.

I can only share my experiences from delivery in October in Alpharetta, GA. I was allowed to look around the outside of the car for as long as I wanted before payment as some service folks there did a quick exterior delivery prep (cleaned the windows, hit some water spots with quick detailer spray etc.) I was not able to inspect the interior, but I didn't specifically request to so I'm not sure if I had asked if they would have opened it for me. Once I was satisfied with the exterior which thankfully appeared to not have any issues, panel gaps or damage, I went back in and handed over a bank-issued check (partial loan) and paid the remainder through ACH in the app. Within a matter of second the vehicle showed up on my phone.

This is where memory gets a bit fuzzy, but I believe the key cards were actually left inside the locked car so my first step after accepting was to tap my phone to the B-pillar which instantly setup the phone-key and unlocked the car.

It was a really busy Saturday so shortly after I got in, I just pulled away from their delivery area into a parking lot next door where I did a detailed inspection of the interior and ran through a checklist in case I needed to go back and have them address something. Fortunately, everything on my delivery checklist was perfect.
It depends on the Service Center. I was able to inspect all my Teslas inside and out in Charlotte and Raleigh. They gave me the keycards to get in and I had to accept delivery in the app to finalize.

Same experience in Denver CO. Allowed to do anything with it except drive it before paying for it.
My experience in Colorado Springs in early November as well. They opened the car to let me inspect it as long as I wanted before I formally took delivery. The car had been detailed and was immaculate inside and out. (September Fremont build Y LR.)

Reactions: SpicyPaneer