Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pay on delivery day after inspection?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Awating delivery of a MYLR with my delivery window starting next week. I intend to pay for the car via ACH transfer in the app, but I do not want to pay until I've inspected the vehicle. Will Tesla allow me to inspect and drive the vehicle before I accept delivery of it and pay for it? Since ACH is not instant or certified funds, would they then hold the car for a couple of days until that payment cleared?

Thanks in advance

Awating delivery of a MYLR with my delivery window starting next week. I intend to pay for the car via ACH transfer in the app, but I do not want to pay until I've inspected the vehicle. Will Tesla allow me to inspect and drive the vehicle before I accept delivery of it and pay for it? Since ACH is not instant or certified funds, would they then hold the car for a couple of days until that payment cleared?

Thanks in advance
You can inspect the outside. Doors won't unlock until you pay for it. So you can't test drive it first or really inspect the interior at all.

You can inspect the outside. Doors won't unlock until you pay for it. So you can't test drive it first or really inspect the interior at all.
So i called Tesla about this. They said it varies by state and in colorado, you cannot pay for the car via ACH at delivery time. If paying by ACH it must be paid for before delivery or any chance to inspect. If I want to inspect the car before I make payment, then I must pay with Cashier's check. A bother since the bank with the funds does not have local branches, so I will need to order a cashier's check online and have it mailed to me in advance of the delivery date. Also my local Tesla service center (couple miles from my house) no longer does deliveries, so I will have to drive across Denver to take delivery. Not terrible, but not preferred especially if I need to reject the car for any reason.

So i called Tesla about this. They said it varies by state and in colorado, you cannot pay for the car via ACH at delivery time. If paying by ACH it must be paid for before delivery or any chance to inspect. If I want to inspect the car before I make payment, then I must pay with Cashier's check. A bother since the bank with the funds does not have local branches, so I will need to order a cashier's check online and have it mailed to me in advance of the delivery date. Also my local Tesla service center (couple miles from my house) no longer does deliveries, so I will have to drive across Denver to take delivery. Not terrible, but not preferred especially if I need to reject the car for any reason.
I bought my 22 M3P last June using ACH for the down payment at delivery time. Now granted I did that after looking at the outside and deeming it good enough to accept delivery. Paid and switched my insurance right on the spot with my phone. E-signed the remaining few documents and took delivery. I then was able to get in and inspect inside and drive away.

I did ACH for that last year because I had the same problem, no local branches for easily getting a cashiers check heh.

Agreed driving across Denver can be a PITA. I'm in Castle Rock and delivery is sending me to Aurora (Littleton would be less than 1/2 the distance, and Lone Tree has never done them as far as I know).

I bought my 22 M3P last June using ACH for the down payment at delivery time. Now granted I did that after looking at the outside and deeming it good enough to accept delivery. Paid and switched my insurance right on the spot with my phone. E-signed the remaining few documents and took delivery. I then was able to get in and inspect inside and drive away.

I did ACH for that last year because I had the same problem, no local branches for easily getting a cashiers check heh.

Agreed driving across Denver can be a PITA. I'm in Castle Rock and delivery is sending me to Aurora (Littleton would be less than 1/2 the distance, and Lone Tree has never done them as far as I know).
So a little bit of conflicting information, or they changed their process since last June around ACH and delivery/inspection.

That's not true. I just took delivery of a model Y in Colorado a few months ago. I showed up to my delivery day and was allowed to inspect the vehicle inside and out as much as I wanted before accepting delivery. I then went in and sat down to sign a few pieces of paper and accepted the delivery through the Tesla app which had my checking account attached. I authorized payment in full and was clear to drive away minutes later.

That's not true. I just took delivery of a model Y in Colorado a few months ago. I showed up to my delivery day and was allowed to inspect t

he vehicle inside and out as much as I wanted before accepting delivery. I then went in and sat down to sign a few pieces of paper and accepted the delivery through the Tesla app which had my checking account attached. I authorized payment in full and was clear to drive away minutes later.
I appreciate the first hand account

Reactions: Ostrichsak
I took delivery of my Model Y in Roswell GA today.

Something unexpected when yaking express delivery - they wouldn't handle over keys to look over the car before I accepted all items in the app (I'd already given them the check). They literally wouldn't lete open the door to take a look I side, make sure the car starts, etc before accepting delivery.

That's f'd up, no?

After getting home, I also noticed that a tire appears plugged, and there's a big ding in one of the rims. What are the chances they give a new rim / tire?

PXL_20230628_031256845.jpg

In Cincinnati, they would not let me in the car unless I accepted delivery in the app and hand over the check. She said, “don’t worry, if you find any issue, we’ll take care of it.” Yeah sure. I was able to inspect the exterior before I went in to accept. I took as much time as I wanted to inspect, no one bothered me.

Delivery this weekend. Last task in app is to make final payment. Why would I submit it before I physically check the vehicle and accept it?

I plan to just take my checking book with routing info with me that day. If I accept, then I can just enter it into the app and be done.

Am I right?

Final payment is currently accepted via:

• Electronic check (direct debit) in the Tesla app (I assume this can be done at time of delivery after you accept, but you might want to check)
  • Wire transfer
  • Bank-certified check (your reference number and name must be in the memo line)

• Informative
Reactions: Pricedm