Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery timeframe & Vin question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered MY on 6/18/20. Blue/black, AWD, LR, 20in, no FSD. I'm in North Florida.

Haven't received any text, email, or phone communication up until today. Got a text just now stating delivery has been scheduled for 2 days from now at my Delivery Center?! Already has the time selected. I didn't even get a choice.

VIN just appeared on my order page. It is 11xxx.

Is it fairly safe to assume this was a previous reject and just reassigned to me by chance? Can't imagine this came off the line and made it to FL in 4 days.

I don't think it has to mean it was a reject. You just got lucky and matched with a car that was enroute. On the delivery date selection, I also just got one assigned, with no option to choose one. It happened to be an ok day for me, so all is good.

For reference, it looks like the very recent cars are being delivered on the West Coast with VINs in the 18,000-20,000 range. 11xxx should be post-COVID shutdown.
So with that info would you guess it's been reassigned me from a previous return/reject?

Not to sound like a snob but I'd prefer one off the line and I'll take my chances from there. I also don't want to have to screw around with things like getting the insulation put on the heat pump and whatnot. Would prefer it done on the line.

Go into the delivery with an open mind. It's not necessarily a return/reject.

Tesla logistics has a certain amount of "moves" from the factory to the ultimate delivery center. For example, from the factory to southern california, there are 3 moves (Factory -> Intermediary Off-Site Lot 1 -> Off-Site Lot 2 -> Delivery Center). From the factory to Florida, there may be 6 or 10 moves. For efficiency, Tesla has central off-site locations all across the nation and the cars go there by truck and rail. The cars are then matched/routed from there. What Tesla does not do is load up a Florida (or state or delivery center specific) bound truck from Fremont.

It's very likely that your config was on a train to the midwest and held at an offsite location and then trucked to your location. That process can take weeks as evidenced by many delivery reschedules that others here have experienced. It's also possible that the car was bound for a buyer in South Carolina (for example), who decided last minute to delay their delivery until Q3, and the car has been re-matched to you.

My suggestion to you: Call the delivery center and ask the background of the car. When was the manufacture date? Where is it currently? Was it refused? You'll be surprised by what they can share.