Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery travails

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, here goes - second posting. Please excuse any oversights. Wanted to share my experience and see if this is normal in Tesla sales & delivery world.

Model Y long range ordered June 24. Got the delivery window notification late last week to select a date and time between Sept 27-30 (car is scheduled to arrive Service Center on 24th). Called my sales rep Saturday to ask if delivery can be Fri Oct 1 because we live 475 miles (5 hour flight or 9 hour drive) from the nearest delivery center available to us in Arkansas (Kansas City) and so I can't just take an hour off work to pick it up during the week - need to schedule flights, etc. He said he'd check. So, today we get a text at 4pm that we need to schedule a date and time. I reiterate the request to the person at the KC service center, but he says if we can't pick up by the 30th, we get bumped off the queue.

OK - so I ask about carrier delivery - and he says that's possible, $750. I then ask how I can deal with any damage the carrier might cause to the car. No response.

Next text (two hours after the first) says if you don't select a delivery date by tonight, it is moving on to the next customer. But now when I try the delivery self-scheduling page, it lists times this Saturday, and nothing next week when we will have financing and our car sold.

THis is definitely not your father's car buying experience, for better or worse. Super rushed hard-a$$ take it or leave it, we don't accommodate customer needs?

SO - is this normal for Tesla? maybe the way all cars will be sold in the future? Or is just because I live in a flyover state and this car company is just not meant to sell out here in the hinterland, just on the left and right coasts?

I imagine the take it/leave it attitude has to do w/distribution model. Because they sell directly they cannot transfer ownership and therefore earn revenue until you come and pick up the car and pay for it. Amazing how the balance sheet/income statement can drive some of the experience.

@Cosmokramer @Watts_Up - Yes - Interesting that the stockholders drive the delivery experience. Thing is, I was hoping to leave the whole "take it today or it'll be gone" experience at the slimy car dealerships.

Yes, looks like we will need drive, becasue last minute one-way flights are outrageously expensive. So We get to take this Friday off to drive 9 hours (plus stops) up there, stay overnight, pick up the car Saturday afternoon, then overnight again before driving back the third day. I have never taken three days to buy a car! :) This all assumes we can get the loan finalized and the car paid for my Friday. But my wife loves it so much there is just no other way. Volkswagen ID.4? Nope. Hyundai Kona? Chevy Bolt? you're kidding! Gotta be a Tesla.

Interesting side note: We are three hours from Dallas, but Tesla ssays Texas makes it impossible to pick up a car in Texas that will be registered elsewhere. Ugh.

Reactions: Watts_Up
Brings new meaning to the phrase I heard when we lived in Texas...."a whole new country". Unfortunately, the regulations there do not allow you to take delivery of a vehicle unless it is going to be registered in Texas. Especially tough to swallow since it looks like you live just over the Texas border (in Texarkana).

I know, right? Literally 3 blocks from Texas. LOL! We could have picked up the car at the Tyler service center I assume, 1.5 hours away.

If Tesla could have extended their pickup window by one or two days, this would never have been an issue. I think this should just be a lesson for buyers: If you live far away from the service center where you'll pick up the car, Tesla is not interested in being accommodating, and you'd better be able to drop work for 2-3 days on short notice. If you're a working stiff who can't just take days off work to pick up a car, better look elsewhere.

PS: Although Tesla's delivery system let me schedule a pickup date and time on Saturday, a call to Tesla revelas that there is actually no car waiting for us to pick up. Groan. The ID.4 is looking better and better.

Update on this order. After the debacle with Tesla's delivery inflexibility, my wife put a deposit on an ID.4. But, after looking at the ID.4 again, it just wasn't doing it for her, and so we went back to Tesla. Got the deposit refunded.

We got a VIN yesterday, and so we are back on the delivery train. The estimated delivery date showed up as OCT 4-7! like three days. SO again we started freaking out because there would be no way to get an affordable plane ticket or take three days off work to drive up there and back. But, we called our order support person, and he said don't worry - the car just left the production line in Fremont, so he gave a realistic estimated delivery date of Oct 18-20. So that gives us time to find an affordable plane ticket, but we still need to have the firm delivery date before we can do that. And so it goes.

There is a social psychological principle, a derivative of cognitive dissonance theory, called "effort justification." It occurs when you have to work really hard or make sacrifices to achieve something. The result of that effort is that you will like the thing you worked really hard for or sacrificed for more than if you did not have the effort justification. We non-consciously justify the effort and sacrifice by saying, "We spent so much effort, so we must really love this thing." That might partly explain why people really love their Teslas, or it could be that they are really such superior cars.

I'm not sure you'll ever get an exact delivery date until a day or two before it's set. Have you been able to escalate the issue at Tesla. Maybe you could get someone high enough up who could actually do something about it. Tesla doesn't want cars sitting on their lots. If you can get there in a day or two, the next person in KC gets your car. After the last-minute flights, hotels, time spent, etc. is factored in, isn't the $750 delivery fee a bargain?

Are there service centers nearby? What if you have a problem? Are there mobile rangers working that area?

After the last-minute flights, hotels, time spent, etc. is factored in, isn't the $750 delivery fee a bargain?
Yes, the delivery would be a good option, but from everyone I have been reading here, it seems that taking delivery at the service center and performing an inspection is critical to documenting and having any cosmetic/functional issues taken care of -- What do you think, @dgstan?
Are there service centers nearby? What if you have a problem? Are there mobile rangers working that area?
Yes, service center 90 minutes away, and Tesla says we can get mobile service. If it were entirely up to me, I'd choose the more practical (and cheaper) option and get the ID.4, but it is not entirely (not even close) up to me... :)

Reactions: Ladybugn
Yes, the delivery would be a good option, but from everyone I have been reading here, it seems that taking delivery at the service center and performing an inspection is critical to documenting and having any cosmetic/functional issues taken care of -- What do you think, @dgstan?

Yes, service center 90 minutes away, and Tesla says we can get mobile service. If it were entirely up to me, I'd choose the more practical (and cheaper) option and get the ID.4, but it is not entirely (not even close) up to me... :)
If there's a service center nearby, it probably doesn't make much of a difference if you find problems.

I'm curious though: Would Tesla refund the cost of the third-party delivery if you rejected the car? Maybe they would waive the fee for the second delivery. However, if you flew there, got hotel rooms, etc., and then refused delivery, you would be out a whole chunk of change.

I briefly toyed with the idea of a non-Tesla electric, but the joy of a Supercharging network cannot be overstated. Charging in 15 minutes while on a road trip is something that is a must.

The ID4 doesn’t even hold a candle to a MYLR. They’re literally completely different beasts. I’ve been driving my mother’s ID4 for the last couple days and it’s such a terrible experience. First, it’s slow, second you can’t turn off all the assistance programs and have the settings be remembered, third, you can’t change any settings unless you’re completely stopped, fourth, it doesn’t have great regen braking with hold, the list can go on. You literally shouldn’t even been cross shopping the two; they’re not even in the same category!

Update in case anyone's interested... So, Got a new delivery window Oct 11-15, and in talking with my regional ordering rep, they made it clear that I should schedule ANY day in that window, and then call to change the date. The system will automatically kick you out of the queue if you do not respond soon enough. We already had another trip scheduled for the weekend of the 15th, but I was able to work with the delivery service center to change the date to Oct 23rd, which gave us time to buy airplane tix and schedule a trip up there. All's well that ends well. :)