Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Demand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The probable large number of U.S. residents holding $1000 reservations is likely an odd duck for Tesla. Behavioral economics suggests that many reservations were initially made to avoid future regret. I expect many 3 reservations are being held now in a state of uncertainty.

I wonder what percentage of S/X owners currently hold a 3 reservation.
Behavioral economics suggests that people do not spend $1000 to avoid future regret.

The probable large number of U.S. residents holding $1000 reservations is likely an odd duck for Tesla. Behavioral economics suggests that many reservations were initially made to avoid future regret. I expect many 3 reservations are being held now in a state of uncertainty.

I wonder what percentage of S/X owners currently hold a 3 reservation.

I think there is some limit to the number of people that are willing to drop > $45K on a car that they can't test drive. This will become less of an issue now that test drives are being made available.

I think there is some limit to the number of people that are willing to drop > $45K on a car that they can't test drive. This will become less of an issue now that test drives are being made available.

My wife and I are Roadster and Model X (originally Model X Signature reservation) owners. We also have a Model 3 reservation (you'd think 2 people would run out of need for Teslas at two, but whatever).

We're not early adopters though - waiting on a test drive to decide what we're going to do with that 3 reservation. So yeah - test drive availability is going to improve demand :)

The negative press could have an impact on demand as customers wont want to buy from a dying brand. Though the Tesla image is pretty strong so its an interesting situation.
I think without a doubt it has. Someone posted on another thread about the damage the WSJ article about the model S in 2013 did to model S demand. They still sold as many as they could make. When the backlog is over a year, they’ll be fine. But there are probably a lot of people falling for the bs. Net reservations might be dropping right now, but if so I think it is only temporary. The shorts and FUD press will obviously spin it as the end of the world. And repeat.

• Informative
Reactions: Magus
I would like to point out that Model 3 is currently only being delivered in US and Canada. The world market is FAR FAR larger. The Model 3 would be a perfect cab in most EU cities and will be utilized for that instantly. I know we have many of them on order. Probably AWD LR model or AWD SR model, not decided yet. In the snowy north we need the AWD. Likely we'll take some AWD SR + premium + EAP and some same with LR. That brings the average cost close to 50k even for the SR model, but it's still dead cheap for taxi use :)

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Now, as Tesla pushes out the model 3 date, more and more folks will be worried about getting in before end of year, when tax credit starts to phase out.

I predict a mad frenzy, as word starts to spread. Those who were waiting on LR with white interior, etc., will soon pull the trigger.

I predict the demand nonsense will start fresh again in January!
There will always be demand nonsense... it will never stop. Demand nonsense can take any "fact" and turn it into a threat.

Now, as Tesla pushes out the model 3 date, more and more folks will be worried about getting in before end of year, when tax credit starts to phase out.

Tesla is already telling prospective buyers in the Netherlands that they needed to order before July 15th to have a guaranteed 2018 delivery (tax rules change against Tesla next year). While this is possibly just a pressure sales tactic like usual, there must be some truth in it since it is reasonably to expect a lot of US orders for the S and X by the year end as well. Since production is finished that extra US demand may crowd out overseas buyers. Will be very interesting to follow the estimated delivery times for foreign S/X deliveries here on out.

• Informative